Nikolai Kulemin

HonestHockey*

I was impressed with the limited icetime they got with the leafs, Holland in particular. And I very much enjoyed their time with the marlies. I'd have no problem giving them a shot.

Gotta aim a lot higher. They were outplayed badly by a Troy Brodie who in his limited time played his way on and increased minutes.

mikebel111*

Worse. Without doubt. There's a reason that Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin are in the NHL and have been for some time.

Next wave meaning Brown, Herzog, Verhaeghe and some of the Euros with a Finn, Granberg, Loov on D. Because I see nothing of value today.

Yet one two at a time on winning teams. You get a Mason Raymond at a mil with real NHL skills and experience rather than pay an Ashton or D'Amigo more with less NHL capabilities.

I see a Troy Bodie come in and work hard enough to make an impact in limited icetime. A true pro. He deserved the icetime increase. None of the others did this. Especially Ashton. Time to cut ties with this kid. Career AHLer.

Lol Ashton career AHLer!
I know supposed to look elite with Orr.
Please learn something about development

Tyler Biggs*

Leafs are a bottom 10 team by playing the vets so I see no risk in playing the kids. What do we have to lose?

Problem being Kulemin is one of the players that plays defense and a 200ft game and Bolland and McClement our UFAs are the players that are better without the puck than most of their teammates.

The kids are replacing the wrong players if you want to reduce your goals against and improve your team defense. Problem is while its the top 6 that are the weak links defensively Leafs kids are not skilled enough offensively to replace any of them and are only bottom 6 players capable. Not their fault just the way it is. !!!

:handclap:

Bolland, Kulimen, and McClement. All three are heart and soul kind of players, and you know what you've got with them - no risk.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
No risk with Bolland?!?!
Nik "heart and soul" Kulemin? He's a decent player we shouldn't overpay for. heart and soul he is not.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
No risk with Bolland?!?!
Nik "heart and soul" Kulemin? He's a decent player we shouldn't overpay for. heart and soul he is not.

And neither is McClement. More so then Kulemin but that aint saying much. Never seen a player play with less emotions then Kulemin. Still like him and him not showing it does not means he does not bring it. But he does not play or act in a way that it rubs off on the rest of the team, like a heart and soul player should.

And Bolland is a risky signing. If we are to rebuild then what the hell, resign him. We need some solid vets who can easily be moved if it comes down to it. But if we are trying to build a competitive team his cap hit along with the other overpaid ones will put a stop to that.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Kulemin should get around 1.7-2M over 4 years. With his decreased offensive production, I don't expect other teams will want to overpay for him, and feel 1.7-2M over 4 years is reasonable for him.

I hope the Leafs sign him, as he plays a smart defensive game while having some offensive potential and should be slotted onto the 3rd line.

Tyler Biggs*

Sad to see Kuly go. He wasn't a point machine but was certainly serviceable and reliable.

Loved Kulemin, hate to see him go.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Sad to see Kuly go. He wasn't a point machine but was certainly serviceable and reliable.

Loved Kulemin, hate to see him go.

Yes but $4.1 to keep him would have been insane, and he will get all kinds of opportunity to be a bigger part of the Isles than he could have been in TO. Great landing spot for him and Grabo both although Franz Nielson might push Grabovski to the wing. I will be cheering for them there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes but $4.1 to keep him would have been insane, and he will get all kinds of opportunity to be a bigger part of the Isles than he could have been in TO. Great landing spot for him and Grabo both although Franz Nielson might push Grabovski to the wing. I will be cheering for them there.

All we have to do is watch how they do this year.

Maybe it was the right decision, maybe it was out to lunch.

They aren't going to a stacked team, so they'll have opportunity to prove what they can do.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
All we have to do is watch how they do this year.

Maybe it was the right decision, maybe it was out to lunch.

They aren't going to a stacked team, so they'll have opportunity to prove what they can do.

My guess? They have a nice statistical year but their team goes nowhere.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
My guess? They have a nice statistical year but their team goes nowhere.

So it will be like they are on the Leafs, where players have nice statistical seasons and the team drafts in the top 10.

TBH Islanders / Leafs what is the difference except one gets paid near the floor most years, and the other is usually up near the ceiling?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
There was nothing heart and soul about Kulemin.

He was an above average player who enjoyed one good season with us. 4.1 million is about a million too much.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There was nothing heart and soul about Kulemin.

He was an above average player who enjoyed one good season with us. 4.1 million is about a million too much.

There is a possibility he earns that contract.

He'll do the dirty work, he'll play the bottom 6 or top 6 and can be effective at both.

4.1 isn't being based on one 30 goal season at age 27, it is based on the other things he'll do.

Perhaps overpaid by 1 million, not by 2 million.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
whats the obsession with Kulemin?! He's gone, he didn't want to be here, he was asking for 4M, why is this still open and being discussed?

Tyler Biggs*

:nod:

He wanted too much for a defensive 3rd/4th liner with the Leafs, we have other cheaper guys that can do that job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad