Nikolai Kulemin

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Refuses to skate into the area where most goals are scored, the slot. Much too passive. I guess Grabo got him going.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I wouldn't bring Kulemin back. His offense has declining, granted because he's put in a defensive position. I still don't think he's a very gifted player when it comes to cycling and forechecking. He's a good north-south skater but I'd rather promote from within and save cost here than give him 3 million or so.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Most overrated Leaf by far. I like the guy but too many Leaf fans insist he is a top 6 player and plays Selke level defense. I'd like to see him move on.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I have no problem bringing him back at the right price. If he's asking for too much, just let him go. Either way, I'd like to see what a cheaper option in D'Amigo could do in his role, surprisingly similar players actually. I'm pretty sure D'Amigo could manage 10/10 20, while providing speed, grit and great defensive play/PK.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Gonna ask for too much money, let another team overpay him. Doubt he goes to the KHL, his game is pretty tailored to a NA style.

Love the guy though, will miss him.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
I'd like him back, but it's hard to justify paying 3 million+ for him. I think I'd rather just promote from within rather than bid with other teams to keep him.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I'd love to bring him back as a 3rd line winger, but the issue is he's asking for Top 6 money and he's going to get it somewhere.

His offensive production and defensive effort can be filled within at a fraction of the cost.

I'd like to see the likes of a D'Amigo get a chance at his position, and others like Holland, Ashton, Carrick and even Biggs will be there to provide a rotation of youthful depth if D'Amigo falters.

If the rumors are true about both Komarov and Hartikainen both wanting to come back to the NHL, then there's a bevy of depth that the Leafs can fill that role internally at a lesser cost.

Cavo

Apr 25, 2006
Halifax, NS
Nik seems to tear it up everywhere but here. Dominating show in the lockout shortened season last year in the KHL and is performing very well in the World Championships this year.

Hope he comes back, but can't see him staying on the terms Nonis will offer. Suspect he heads off to Pittsburgh to play with Gino and rediscovers his scoring touch.

Hands down our best defensive forward, will miss him if/when he goes.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I'd love to bring him back as a 3rd line winger, but the issue is he's asking for Top 6 money and he's going to get it somewhere.

His offensive production and defensive effort can be filled within at a fraction of the cost.

I'd like to see the likes of a D'Amigo get a chance at his position, and others like Holland, Ashton, Carrick and even Biggs will be there to provide a rotation of youthful depth if D'Amigo falters.

If the rumors are true about both Komarov and Hartikainen both wanting to come back to the NHL, then there's a bevy of depth that the Leafs can fill that role internally at a lesser cost.

That's the way I see it as well.

If inferior players like Gordon, Stalberg and Joel Ward can 3 million per year on a 3 or 4 year deal I fully expect Kulemin to come in closer to 4 million.

4 million on another winger with term is something we simply shouldn't be doing when we need that money for the D group and center group.

However, the one thing that could change my perspective is if Phaneuf is dealt for cheap players and we've got all kinds of cap space but nowhere to spend it and we can get him on a term of 4 years or less it could be okay to give him something like 4 x 4 for added depth. Cap space can't be carried forward and if we have nowhere else to spend it then the first year of the deal because a non-factor.

J1S

May 12, 2014
One of the toughest guys to let go of, but it needs to happen. Dozens of teams would and will line up to sign this guy, especially in the west because he brings a helluva lot more than you see. The guy is kills it on the PK, forechecks like a beast, is responsible along the boards in our own end, and plays with a lot more intensity than most of the guys in our lineup. With all that being said, we can't afford to pay a 3rd line winger upwards of four million dollars due to some of our other bunk contracts. Leo Komarov & Jerry D'Amigo could effectively replace both him and Mason Raymond, while saving 2-4 million.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
One of the toughest guys to let go of, but it needs to happen. Dozens of teams would and will line up to sign this guy, especially in the west because he brings a helluva lot more than you see. The guy is kills it on the PK, forechecks like a beast, is responsible along the boards in our own end, and plays with a lot more intensity than most of the guys in our lineup. With all that being said, we can't afford to pay a 3rd line winger upwards of four million dollars due to some of our other bunk contracts. Leo Komarov & Jerry D'Amigo could effectively replace both him and Mason Raymond, while saving 2-4 million.
sounds like your positives outweigh your negatives.

PhillyFrisco

Jun 29, 2007
www.blueprintz.ca
he had 9 goals and 20 points this season.

In 2010/11 he had 30 goals and almost 60pts. so what happened to him?

He got slotted into a purely defensive role with NO playmakers.

J. McClement is where offence goes to die.

Kuli is so focused on D that he never cheats position for potential goals.

Play him with a decent centre (Bolland perhaps... they had good chemistry early on) and watch him pot 20 goals again.

He is the least of our problems. We need to re-sign him but quiet Russian will probs be the first to go unfortunately.

**** this team.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Most overrated Leaf by far. I like the guy but too many Leaf fans insist he is a top 6 player and plays Selke level defense. I'd like to see him move on.

He's a good checking forward who plays a simple and smart game. You need guys like that to fill out your depth.

I hope he'll be back as I think we could still definitely use him, but I don't see it. He should probably go to Pittsburgh. Would be a good opportunity for him.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
His puck handling skills, vision, and offensive IQ are poor. Great forechecking and back checking, strong balance and control along the boards, above average in his own zone (still prone to some boneheaded plays), but he doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck when it is on his stick. He has value because of his intangibles and off-puck skills, but he comes at a price I don't think this team can (or rather should not) pay.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Hasn't been the same since the Lokomotiv incident. I believe that really affected him.

I like him as a player. He plays a smart game, very responsible defensively and never takes a night off. But his agent will price him out of Toronto (thanks Clarkson) and he'll end up in Pittsburgh on a line with Neal and Malkin

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
If he wants less than $3 mil, I'd take him back in a heartbeat. If he wants 3 or more, I think he'll be looking for a new team.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Honestly, I cannot envision a single situation where he'll be back next year. Even if financially we offered him what he wanted, I think he wants a bigger role (and he deserves a chance at one).

He in my mind is a threat to get 20/20 every year (and man did he ring a lot of posts this year) while being a defensively sound top-6 player. Problem is, he was used exclusively to try and shut-down other team's top lines and given no real opportunity to contribute offensively (i.e. no PP time even though we rarely had a net presence).

If he's not in Pits next year I'd be shocked.

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
Honestly, I cannot envision a single situation where he'll be back next year. Even if financially we offered him what he wanted, I think he wants a bigger role (and he deserves a chance at one).

He in my mind is a threat to get 20/20 every year (and man did he ring a lot of posts this year) while being a defensively sound top-6 player. Problem is, he was used exclusively to try and shut-down other team's top lines and given no real opportunity to contribute offensively (i.e. no PP time even though we rarely had a net presence).

If he's not in Pits next year I'd be shocked.

Agree. It's not that he was miscast in his role either. Just that randy clearly wanted more defence out of him. Pretty good shot, tough to knock around and for those that remember: when he's given a talented centre to play with he gets creative. Him and grabo played similarly to the sedins. Just placing the puck where the other would be. They were fun to watch that year. He needs out of Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad