Nikolai Kulemin

HonestHockey*

It will be interesting to see how effectively Leafs own internal youth can pick up the slack of players like Kulemin, Bolland and Mason who they might be replacing.

It would be ugly for sure. Maybe next wave of prospects.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They should get the best 1st rounder they can for Lupul and sign Kules if they can although I think he dislikes Carlyle and will hit FA.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
I love how people are always saying trade Lupul as if his 20-30 goals are replaced so easily. Trade him without a proven replacement say hello to a one line team. I suppose people really do want the Leafs to be in the hunt for the #1 pick next year ;)

Oh.. btw no way Kulemin is back next year.. 0% chance.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I love how people are always saying trade Lupul as if his 20-30 goals are replaced so easily. Trade him without a proven replacement say hello to a one line team. I suppose people really do want the Leafs to be in the hunt for the #1 pick next year ;)

That's why I would trade Lupul and Dion for picks tbh. The hunt for top 5 next year should be a priority.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It would be ugly for sure. Maybe next wave of prospects.

If Leafs 3rd line of Raymond -- Bolland -- Kulemin was replaced in full by D'Amigo -- Holland -- Ashton and everything else remained the same the same would the results be better or worse?

Isn't that our next wave at present?

Teams replace their vets with cheaper younger players all the time in hopes of getting better.

In Leafs case I'm not sure Leafs departing 3rd liners are going to be that easy to replace internally.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
That's why I would trade Lupul and Dion for picks tbh. The hunt for top 5 next year should be a priority.

Not sure if many teams intentionally tank or if MLSE would even allow it as it is a business and the point is to make money every year and making money = play offs. Would they be willing to obviously tank like this, perhaps but I doubt it.
It is not like they are a money strapped team so they can not claim poverty for sucking.

I could see it in mid season and if they were sucking then trade off assets (and suck more) but at the beginning of the year when you have fans and sponsor's ... shrug

HonestHockey*

If Leafs 3rd line of Raymond -- Bolland -- Kulemin was replaced in full by D'Amigo -- Holland -- Ashton and everything else remained the same the same would the results be better or worse?

Teams replace their vets with cheaper younger players all the time in hopes of getting better.

In Leafs case I'm not sure Leafs departing 3rd liners are going to be that easy to replace internally.

Worse. Without doubt. There's a reason that Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin are in the NHL and have been for some time.

Next wave meaning Brown, Herzog, Verhaeghe and some of the Euros with a Finn, Granberg, Loov on D. Because I see nothing of value today.

Yet one two at a time on winning teams. You get a Mason Raymond at a mil with real NHL skills and experience rather than pay an Ashton or D'Amigo more with less NHL capabilities.

I see a Troy Bodie come in and work hard enough to make an impact in limited icetime. A true pro. He deserved the icetime increase. None of the others did this. Especially Ashton. Time to cut ties with this kid. Career AHLer.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

... So don't play the kids?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If there is a way to keep Kulemin for below 3.5, I want him back.

Otherwise, trade his rights for Niskanens, and move on, but get something for him, for Heavens sake!

BB

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
... So don't play the kids?

Leafs are a bottom 10 team by playing the vets so I see no risk in playing the kids. What do we have to lose?

Problem being Kulemin is one of the players that plays defense and a 200ft game and Bolland and McClement our UFAs are the players that are better without the puck than most of their teammates.

The kids are replacing the wrong players if you want to reduce your goals against and improve your team defense. Problem is while its the top 6 that are the weak links defensively Leafs kids are not skilled enough offensively to replace any of them and are only bottom 6 players capable. Not their fault just the way it is. !!!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Leafs are a bottom 10 team by playing the vets so I see no risk in playing the kids. What do we have to lose?

Problem being Kulemin is one of the players that plays defense and a 200ft game and Bolland and McClement our UFAs are the players that are better without the puck than most of their teammates.

The kids are replacing the wrong players if you want to reduce your goals against and improve your team defense. Problem is while its the top 6 that are the weak links defensively Leafs kids are not skilled enough offensively to replace any of them and are only bottom 6 players capable. Not their fault just the way it is. !!!
So you don't see what we have to lose, then outline what there is to lose.

HonestHockey*

Hell I wouldn't want Ovechkin here. Has dick all to do with points. Again LA Kings 26th in scoring. Their points are great its the rest of their game that sucks.I would hazzard to suggest that between Lupul and Kadri you are probably looking 1/2 at our worst forwards in our own end.

0%?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Hell I wouldn't want Ovechkin here. Has dick all to do with points. Again LA Kings 26th in scoring. Their points are great its the rest of their game that sucks.I would hazzard to suggest that between Lupul and Kadri you are probably looking 1/2 at our worst forwards in our own end.

0%?

And first in scoring in the post-season, with Marian Gaborik (A player you'd suggest would have no place on the Kings) leading the goal-scoring.

You probably wouldn't want Patrick Kane here either.

HonestHockey*

And first in scoring in the post-season, with Marian Gaborik (A player you'd suggest would have no place on the Kings) leading the goal-scoring.

You probably wouldn't want Patrick Kane here either.

I'd be ok with Kane. Has learned more of the 200 ft game and battles. Take him over Lupul or Ovechkin any day.

Btw when you play the most games it's just a touch easier to score more.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Not sure if many teams intentionally tank or if MLSE would even allow it as it is a business and the point is to make money every year and making money = play offs. Would they be willing to obviously tank like this, perhaps but I doubt it.
It is not like they are a money strapped team so they can not claim poverty for sucking.

I could see it in mid season and if they were sucking then trade off assets (and suck more) but at the beginning of the year when you have fans and sponsor's ... shrug

I think MLSE very much would like to celebrate TML´s 100th anniversary with a 20 years old McDavid as the face of their franchise.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So you don't see what we have to lose, then outline what there is to lose.

Only 3 possible outcomes by playing the Kids instead of the vets like Kulemin.

1) The team improves = Win because the change resulted in improvement.
2) The team performs the same = Irrelevant as to who plays, nothing lost.
3) The team declines and drafts even earlier than #8th = Win by having access to higher future potential prospects.

I don't see where we lose so "play the kids".

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Only 3 possible outcomes by playing the Kids instead of the vets like Kulemin.

1) The team improves = Win because the change resulted in improvement.
2) The team performs the same = Irrelevant as to who plays, nothing lost.
3) The team declines and drafts even earlier than #8th = Win by having access to higher future potential prospects.

I don't see where we lose so "play the kids".

This team only loses if it finishes higher than 8th and out of the playoffs. Even then, if the draft is very deep we still get another good player.
But seriously what side are we on?
Are we making the playoffs next year?
If you are management and the answer to that question is no, what do you do for the good of the organization?

HonestHockey*

This team only loses if it finishes higher than 8th and out of the playoffs. Even then, if the draft is very deep we still get another good player.
But seriously what side are we on?
Are we making the playoffs next year?
If you are management and the answer to that question is no, what do you do for the good of the organization?

Management already answered. Said this team was more the 12-13 team than the 13-14.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd love to resign Kulemon, though I'd also wouldn't mind having marlies players make up our entire bottom six next season. We finished bottom ten in the league last season - I'm willing to bet that some hungry Marlies looking to cement a permanet role in the big leagues can't play any worse than what we had to watch last season. And if they do, well, I'd rather have a bottom 5 pick, than a 6-10.

It was his agent who said it
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/25/kulemin-not-happy-with-his-role-in-toronto-says-agent/

Potentially another player to walk for nothing

Dave Nonis is doing a pretty great job destroying this team's relationship with certain agents.

By my count there's already been public confrontations with Reimer's, Kule/Grabo's, and Gardiners. I've got a feeling this may come back to bite us.

HonestHockey*

I'd love to resign Kulemon, though I'd also wouldn't mind having marlies players make up our entire bottom six next season. We finished bottom ten in the league last season - I'm willing to bet that some hungry Marlies looking to cement a permanet role in the big leagues can't play any worse than what we had to watch last season. And if they do, well, I'd rather have a bottom 5 pick, than a 6-10.

Dave Nonis is doing a pretty great job destroying this team's relationship with certain agents.

By my count there's already been public confrontations with Reimer's, Kule/Grabo's, and Gardiners. I've got a feeling this may come back to bite us.

You missed Ashton, D'Amigo and Holland all pretending to be NHLers I guess.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

So wait a minute. You don't think that having someone as highly touted as McDavid or the #2 pick in this draft will bring in viewers? While getting to the playoffs is a great way to make money, I wouldn't think that getting kicked out of the first round is that big of a money maker.

For MLSE, they have to see the costs and benefits associated with either:
-spending money and taking up roster spots for free agents in order to make a hopeful playoff push. This can backfire in the long-term with highly-paid players on long-term contract not performing. Those who perform well will be difficult to accommodate for in the long-term (5+years in the future)

-have prospects develop and not spend as much in free agency. Weed out the non-performers and get a quality young player who may bring in new fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad