Nikolai Khabibulin

Doan Jidion*

I don't really have a sentimental attachment to Khabibulin. In his first stint with the team, I found myself rooting for Patrick Lalime.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I only watched the condensed game, but none of the goals against seemed to be on Khabi's head. He also made a save or two in the first that Crawford never would have made.

LandofLincoln*

not overly concerned about Khabi just yet... even after Ottawa

Antti Raanta has done well in Rockford. I say bring him up for 2 games back to back. And send him back down even if he has back to back shutouts.

It should be looked at as a reward for his great play not a demotion for Khabi.

Plus I think a coffee cup call up gets the jitters behind Raanta.... It doesn't make the Hawks look desperate and it buys time for Khabi.

The Hawks don't want to bring him up the first time in a pressure or "take the reigns'' situation. If that happens fine. I just think bringing Raanta up later in the season after he plays 25-30 games in Rockford is better for Raanta, the Hawks and Khabi.

Hawks really can avoid releasing Khabi until January if he is terrible. If Khabi can put up two games out of his next three with .910 % then he can silence the critics.

CS85

Tell 'em, Mean Gene!
Jun 27, 2011
Champaign, IL
www.bearsfansonline.com
Now I know that is untrue. The first was just an absolute snipe by Michalek and the next was a tight deflection that he had no chance on.

SHHH what are you doing?! Just, here, take this pitchfork. Here's your torch. Do you have a lighter?

-----

OK, OK, I'm gonna re-watch the highlights and see if you're right.

GOAL 1 - Michalek indeed just blew it right past him with traffic in front of the net. No shame in that one, despite how late it was in the period.

GOAL 2 - Dogpile in front of the net results in a poke-in. I guess "tight deflection" is a gentle way of saying Khabibulin lost the puck. From my vantage it looked like he may have had a glove on it or a pad. Brookbank careening into his lap didn't help either. Fine, fine. Not his fault.

GOAL 3 - Strange deflection.

GOAL 4 - Looks like Khabi lost sight of the puck. It was a bit of a mob and when I saw it live didn't expect the shot to come from there, so I guess you could clear him of that.

So yeah, maybe you're right. That being said there's clearly a pattern forming around his starts. Despite the fact that he gave up 4 goals tonight how many times can this happen before you stop considering his talent and have to wonder if the guy's just plain snakebitten? The guy's a goaltending Jonah right now.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
SHHH what are you doing?! Just, here, take this pitchfork. Here's your torch. Do you have a lighter?

-----

OK, OK, I'm gonna re-watch the highlights and see if you're right.

GOAL 1 - Michalek indeed just blew it right past him with traffic in front of the net. No shame in that one, despite how late it was in the period.

GOAL 2 - Dogpile in front of the net results in a poke-in. I guess "tight deflection" is a gentle way of saying Khabibulin lost the puck. From my vantage it looked like he may have had a glove on it or a pad. Brookbank careening into his lap didn't help either. Fine, fine. Not his fault.

GOAL 3 - Strange deflection.

GOAL 4 - Looks like Khabi lost sight of the puck. It was a bit of a mob and when I saw it live didn't expect the shot to come from there, so I guess you could clear him of that.

So yeah, maybe you're right. That being said there's clearly a pattern forming around his starts. Despite the fact that he gave up 4 goals tonight how many times can this happen before you stop considering his talent and have to wonder if the guy's just plain snakebitten? The guy's a goaltending Jonah right now.

There were several others that easily could have gone, but spun wide or Habby was finally able to get the ears on. It all evens out from a blame standpoint, he was bad. The reaction in the Hawks suite was not good regarding Habby's performance and yanking. I saw more than a few wrinkled faces.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Emery has played only two games in Philli. Would have been better off singing here...another chance for a cup and he wouldn't be paid any less, as he is making 1.6 in Philli.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
It's not just the goals he lets in. It's how awkward and inefficient he looks battling pucks that don't end up going in. He just looks old and done from what I have seen from him so far in live game action and highlights. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I think he's toast.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
It's not just the goals he lets in. It's how awkward and inefficient he looks battling pucks that don't end up going in. He just looks old and done from what I have seen from him so far in live game action and highlights. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I think he's toast.

This

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Emery has played only two games in Philli. Would have been better off singing here...another chance for a cup and he wouldn't be paid any less, as he is making 1.6 in Philli.

Yep! Lose for Emery playing backup on ****** team.
And Lose for Hawks- we have Khabbi- 40 yr. old!!!

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
According to Cap Geek, Raanta is making $925,000, if you send Khabi down, you save about that much. So moving him down and Raanta up is a net 0 spend.

IndianHeadSweater

Nov 2, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Right. He looks totally lost. He gives up huge rebounds on practically every shot, and as often as not, he can't seem to locate them. He gave up four goals and it's surprising he didn't give up more. That's how bad he looked.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Meh, Emery has been done for 3 years and look what he did last year. Khaby just needs to find himself again and start playing like a guy with the skills he has now as opposed to the skills he used to have. If he can do that, he'll be fine. If he can't, just call up Raanta. The whole thing was stupid even if it worked out. **** Rockford. Repeat, **** ROCKFORD. The best players need to be on the Blackhawks NHL club. Rockford can make the best out of whatever is left, as they should.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I'm all for giving Raanta a shot. However, I think bringing Razor back could be an option considering Philly is off to an awful start and Razor is playing backup there anyways...

Khabby + 4th for Razor (plus the hawks retain 500k on Khabby's salary)...

I hated this Khabby signing since 7/5/2013

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
According to Cap Geek, Raanta is making $925,000, if you send Khabi down, you save about that much. So moving him down and Raanta up is a net 0 spend.

But there is one major flaw with that plan. Raanta has not had time to adjust to the North American game and North American ice. Others are more astute when it comes to that kind of thing, but what's it take for a goalie, 1 season, more than 1 season? Where are all of the experts on North American ice visa vi goaltenders? We have about 100 of them. Please chime in.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
But there is one major flaw with that plan. Raanta has not had time to adjust to the North American game and North American ice. Others are more astute when it comes to that kind of thing, but what's it take for a goalie, 1 season, more than 1 season? Where are all of the experts on North American ice visa vi goaltenders? We have about 100 of them. Please chime in.

Didn't Fasth played 3 games in the AHL before he came in and was great for the Ducks?

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

Unless of course Raanta make some of performance bonuses of $475K. Raanta cap hit is $1.4 mil. Cap Geek defaulted to non bonus cap hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad