Nikolai Khabibulin

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Still want to believe he can play,, But that might be the fan in me lying to myself

Sucks cause I have always liked Khabby. From the days as a Russian Pen , It was great seeing him supplant Tim Chevaldae and lead the Jets to a final playoff appearance

He is probably done :(

Last edited:

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Oh no, it's a negative player discussion thread!

In all seriousness it does sound/look like he's done. At least it's only a 1 year deal and the team isn't saddled with 2 million against the cap next season, which is a positive.

Nothingman*

We have 18 back to backs. We cannot afford his continued **** play all year while he figures it out.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
He stunk in pre-season too. That said - since they're already paying him 2 mil, you may as well give him a few more cracks before bringing Ranta up.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Let him play in Winnipeg on Saturday, if he blows its some weird full circle ending stuff.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Thing is, Khabibulin is guaranteed his salary but is only signed for 1 year. He is being paid whether he plays or not, so don't see much effect other than adding Raanta's salary to the roster.

Bulin needs to be on a short leash for sure. A few more duds you have no choice. Every point is critical. Crawford and Niemi were both forced into action for the Hawks when a veteran wasn't pulling his weight, and that worked out great. Raanta may be the answer for back up, and he is certainly far better than Bulin has been through his first few games.

God forbid if Crow gets injured or slumps......

If Bulin does the same thing next game they need to seriously consider it.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Thing is, Khabibulin is guaranteed his salary but is only signed for 1 year. He is being paid whether he plays or not, so don't see much effect other than adding Raanta's salary to the roster.

Bulin needs to be on a short leash for sure. A few more duds you have no choice. Every point is critical. Crawford and Niemi were both forced into action for the Hawks when a veteran wasn't pulling his weight, and that worked out great. Raanta may be the answer for back up, and he is certainly far better than Bulin has been through his first few games.

God forbid if Crow gets injured or slumps......

If Bulin does the same thing next game they need to seriously consider it.

The only thing is - the Hawks are doing fine right now and it's not going to hurt anything to give Khabibulin another 2 or 3 chances. That's why I'd leave it as is for at least another few weeks. It gives Raanta another few weeks as Rockford's #1 - and gives Khabi a little time to right the ship. If worse comes to worse, Raanta comes up around Thanksgiving and stays here the rest of the season.

That being said - I don't think Khabi is going to right the ship. I think he's done.

SLarmer28*

It's time to box up Khabby and ship him on the next cargo plane to Siberia. ;)

Doan Jidion*

Let him play in Winnipeg on Saturday, if he blows its some weird full circle ending stuff.

I feel like the Jets in Winnipeg are more daunting than the Flames in Chicago. Crawford has three days to rest up. Give him that one and give Khabibulin the second game, and if he blows it, that's the end.

Nothingman*

I feel like the Jets in Winnipeg are more daunting than the Flames in Chicago. Crawford has three days to rest up. Give him that one and give Khabibulin the second game, and if he blows it, that's the end.

This is also what I would do.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The only thing is - the Hawks are doing fine right now and it's not going to hurt anything to give Khabibulin another 2 or 3 chances. That's why I'd leave it as is for at least another few weeks. It gives Raanta another few weeks as Rockford's #1 - and gives Khabi a little time to right the ship. If worse comes to worse, Raanta comes up around Thanksgiving and stays here the rest of the season.

That being said - I don't think Khabi is going to right the ship. I think he's done.

We stole 2 points here. I cant remember too many games a team wins after pulling a goalie. But yes, he shouldn't be dumped after 3 games. He does need to be on a short leash, and if significant improvement isnt seen immediately you cant just keep throwing him out there. Crawford all of a sudden is our clear MVP. If we lose him for significant time we are screwed.

HawkinMI

Mar 24, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm still holding out hope. I'm wearing my Khabi t-shirt as we speak, probably going to hang it on the wall when he retires.

Love the guy and want dearly to see him succeed.. but if this continues the Hawks should probably look at other options. You can't be afraid to play your backup at any given point. That's how starters get overworked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad