Nikolai Khabibulin

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
If we could string Khabi along until January or so in order to get Raanta a few games under his belt that would be best. But if he can't play at all then something will have to be done soon. We can't exhaust CC (and the skaters playing catch-up either) and we can't give away too many points.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Khabby is done. I think he is just not drunk enough. Team should fill in vodka into his bottle on the net instead of water. He may have another DUI after one of his games, but he'd be a much better goalie.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Didn't Fasth played 3 games in the AHL before he came in and was great for the Ducks?

Well yeah, it has always been my contention that it doesn't mean a god damn thing, but when I was poo pooing the signing because the job should have been given to Raanta, tons and tons of people **** all over the idea because he had not "adjusted" to "North American ice".

At this point, I would like to know if those people still feel that way or if they have reconsidered thier opinion.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
It is for sure.

I can say I heard it from a player himself that played in the DEL and went to NA just to come back without getting a real chance.
Yes, adjusting to the smaller rink is a real thing, especially for goalies. They need to adjust to all their ****ing angles they are used to

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
"Adjusting to North American ice" isn't a real thing.

Yeah it is....

Rink size, style of play, pace of the game, competition, the physical aspect of the game and even strategies. Not to mention language and culture...

The NHL is certainly different from Europe/KHL.

That's why a lot of decent Euros only played in the NHL then went back to Europe once their contract expired - or even the fact that some Euros just flop in the NHL but have great careers in Europe...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Well yeah, it has always been my contention that it doesn't mean a god damn thing, but when I was poo pooing the signing because the job should have been given to Raanta, tons and tons of people **** all over the idea because he had not "adjusted" to "North American ice".

At this point, I would like to know if those people still feel that way or if they have reconsidered thier opinion.

I still think Raanta is better off playing the full year in RFD, but if we need someone to step in for Khabi, then there isn't much choice. I would of preferred a better back-up than Bulin, but it is what it is now.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

Raanta fan here! Signing Boolin- flops like a fish Turco and skates like he's in concrete Bruno! Bad signing.

and if hawks don't win another cup - the CC 6/6 might be one of the biggest reasons...

money could have been used on a real top 6 forward- w/ Raanta on the cheap!

time will tell

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
There is no "2 year" part of the deal, it was a 1 year deal.

My mistake, thanks. I thought I had heard it was 2 years 2 mil, but if it's just 1 year then meh... no so terrible.

I mean I'd still rather have someone else obv, but he will be gone soon enough.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The Bulin Wall has come down. I guess you can give him a couple more games, but at this point the Hawks should be prepared to call Raanta up and give him a few games to see if we need to acquire someone's backup goalie around the deadline or not.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'm pretty sure that this is the plan. They want Raanta up but need a placeholder. Hawks are good enough to make the POs, even with Khabby

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
The good thing about Khabi playing is our offense realizes they need to score a lot of goals. If only they could maintain this line of thinking even when Crawford is in.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The salary-capped NHL has definitely changed the game – look no further than the goaltending situation of some teams who gamble that their number one guy won’t get hurt and choose to save money for other priorities. Hawks have been fortunate to date as Crawford has proven to be quite resilient. Fingers crossed that that will continue as Stan has not felt the need to add more depth back there, and I don’t see that changing. Is Khabi finished? He certainly has looked vulnerable in his last 2 outings.

Has anyone seen Raanta’s play lately? Is he ready to be a reliable number 2 goalie in this league? There may be only one way to find out, if Khabi doesn’t turn it around soon.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, he's been stellar, fastest goalie we've had in a long time, see no reason he can't be a good NHL goalie right now.

Is it nice to see Rockford win...sure, but that is nothing but a farm club for the Hawks and when guys are playing well at positions of need up here, sorry, got to bring them up. I see no reason why Raanta shouldn't get at least 5 games up here, even if Khaby plays out the season.

Ilrider

Mar 27, 2012
Chicago Burbs
The salary-capped NHL has definitely changed the game – look no further than the goaltending situation of some teams who gamble that their number one guy won’t get hurt and choose to save money for other priorities. Hawks have been fortunate to date as Crawford has proven to be quite resilient. Fingers crossed that that will continue as Stan has not felt the need to add more depth back there, and I don’t see that changing. Is Khabi finished? He certainly has looked vulnerable in his last 2 outings.

Has anyone seen Raanta’s play lately? Is he ready to be a reliable number 2 goalie in this league? There may be only one way to find out, if Khabi doesn’t turn it around soon.

I just saw Raanta play in Rockford on Saturday (my first time seeing him), and I thought he looked very good, only giving up one goal and making some really nice, tough saves. He looks very athletic and quick. He also is a fan favorite out in Rockford from what I understand. We got to skate with the team after the game, and he had a very friendly, upbeat, engaging personality (thinking locker room chemistry here). I really like the guy. I would definitely give him a look with the Hawks at some point this season if the small glimpse I got Saturday is enough, but I don't think I could wager a good guess if he's ready to be a reliable number 2 until we see him at the NHL level. Just give him a few games, I say.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

Raanta is the quickest goalie in system- including Crow. NHL will of course be faster than anything he has seen, but I like his chances. Only knock would be - he doesn't have that 6'3"-6'6" frame that the NHL seems to be going after these days and experience- former coaches say he is very quick learner.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'd like to see them throw Bulin back out there on Saturday. Let him try to put Tuesday behind him as fast as possible, an afternoon road game in Winnipeg seems like a good opportunity to do that with a home game CC should play Sunday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad