Prospect Info: Niko Mikkola (127th Overall in 2015) - Signs 2 year ELC

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Eh, I think it was meant to describe Mikkola's game isn't so dissimilar to Parayko's.

Both are big bodies that are deceptively quick thanks to their above average skating (although I have always found Mikkola's to be much better than Parayko's). They use their mobility to to clear the defensive zone as opposed to clearing the puck with passes or other such clears. Both make use of their wingspan to take pucks away with well timed poke-checks and stick lifting. The only real difference in their defensive game is Mikkola's physicality. He is much more willing to grind opposing players down than Parayko is.

But their offensive games are night-and-day up until this point in time. Parayko has a much more polished offensive ability thanks to his much better puck handling and shot. The sad part is that it's an indictment on both Parayko and Mikkola thus far. If Parayko is struggling to generate offense, and Mikkola isn't as good as him, then Mikkola better develop some unforeseen hitherto offensive game or become Bouwmeester 2.0 if he wishes to stay in the lineup.
Wait are you saying you think Mikkola is a better skater than Parayko?

Reactions: rumrokh

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’ve liked Mikkola’s game so far. He keeps it simple for the most part.

And looks like he’s in the lineup again tonight according to the lineup the Blues posted on social media 30ish minutes ago.

Reactions: Ranksu

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’ll be happy if Mikkola becomes a steady bottom pairing guy. I think that’s his most likely destination. If the Blues can slot him there on ELC dollars, it’s a plus.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I’ll be happy if Mikkola becomes a steady bottom pairing guy. I think that’s his most likely destination. If the Blues can slot him there on ELC dollars, it’s a plus.
Agreed. Nothing wrong with having a solid bottom pairing D for a long time. I'm pretty sure he will be able to move up temporarily in case of injuries, too.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Wait are you saying you think Mikkola is a better skater than Parayko?
I do.

I've always thought that Parayko is an effective skater, but one that skates far too upright. His stride is very choppy, so I've always seen him as one that uses superb strength to get up to speed as opposed to superb mechanics.

Mikkola is the opposite. The guy is routinely on his edges and has a very effortless stride. His fluidity is something to behold. I'd say his skating would be top-notch if he was Dunn's size, so having ability at ~6'5" is remarkable. He might not be as fast as Parayko (or he might be honestly, I need to see both side by side to compare), but I've always thought of him has more agile.

Both are good, but I think Mikkola is better because of his mechanics.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I do.

I've always thought that Parayko is an effective skater, but one that skates far too upright. His stride is very choppy, so I've always seen him as one that uses superb strength to get up to speed as opposed to superb mechanics.

Mikkola is the opposite. The guy is routinely on his edges and has a very effortless stride. His fluidity is something to behold. I'd say his skating would be top-notch if he was Dunn's size, so having ability at ~6'5" is remarkable. He might not be as fast as Parayko (or he might be honestly, I need to see both side by side to compare), but I've always thought of him has more agile.

I don’t think I could disagree more. Parayko’s first three strides are miles better than Mikkola. Mikkola is a good skater, but Parayko is a great one.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I do.

I agree about the upright skating, But I disagree about Mikkola being a better skater. Mikkola is good, no doubt, but he isn’t explosive like Parayko can be.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He's pretty solid, and the fact that Mikkola-Gunnarsson is basically our 4th pairing right now is really good. He should have an inside track to make the team out of camp next season. We can save a smidge of money by trading Gunny in the Summer.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He's pretty solid, and the fact that Mikkola-Gunnarsson is basically our 4th pairing right now is really good. He should have an inside track to make the team out of camp next season. We can save a smidge of money by trading Gunny in the Summer.
I’m fine with dealing Gunnar as he is always hurting is our 8th D at this point but if we resign Petro I think guy who is on hot seat is Dunn.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Watched Blues game afterwards. Impressive icetime 17:30 and 2.29 PK/icetime. Now I saw those things what I saw in time when he played in Finland, Mikkola holds puck and goes cycle at o-zone. Mikkola is looking better and better.

That skating talk here is bit odd. People see things so differently.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I agree about the upright skating, But I disagree about Mikkola being a better skater. Mikkola is good, no doubt, but he isn’t explosive like Parayko can be.
It could be doing that Parayko has more strenght than Mikkola and Parayko's skating looks more explosive.

Reactions: CCBC

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I do.

he doesn’t have paraykos explosion/closing speed or ability to recover after a breakdown. But I agree mikkolas technical skating like opening up his hips when a guy takes him wide or his backwards to forwards transitioning and lateral movement are extremely smooth and controlled.

It’s pretty typical of defenseman that develop in Finland and Sweden now. It’s unbelievable what they’re doing in those two countries now. I wish Nortb America could adopt what they do

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Looks like Mikkola is in the lineup again tonight.

This is somewhat notable IMO since they’ve declared that Gunnar is healthy enough to play but they’re sticking with Mikkola for now.

[moved from GDT, as this is probably more appropriate here]

...which is interesting, because Gunny took a discount to re-sign for 2-years, and most people (I'd think) would expect JBo to return for at least another season. It's always good to have depth, but having 8 legit NHL D-men on the NHL roster is unsustainable. I think for this year, the Blues will be just fine sending down Mikkola...but next year (assuming Petro is re-signed) something's going to have to give. Maybe J-Bo isn't brought back afterall...?

I still think Dunn and Faulk are redundant on this roster, so maybe this problem is left for after next season when the Expansion Draft will solve this problem on it's own. Mikkola may just have to marinate in San Antonio for another 1.5 seasons, where hopefully he can be given #1 D-man minutes.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
[moved from GDT, as this is probably more appropriate here]

...which is interesting, because Gunny took a discount to re-sign for 2-years, and most people (I'd think) would expect JBo to return for at least another season. It's always good to have depth, but having 8 legit NHL D-men on the NHL roster is unsustainable. I think for this year, the Blues will be just fine sending down Mikkola...but next year (assuming Petro is re-signed) something's going to have to give. Maybe J-Bo isn't brought back afterall...?

I still think Dunn and Faulk are redundant on this roster, so maybe this problem is left for after next season when the Expansion Draft will solve this problem on it's own. Mikkola may just have to marinate in San Antonio for another 1.5 seasons, where hopefully he can be given #1 D-man minutes.
I think you bring back your best 6 D options regardless of what situation that might cause with your 7-8 D men. I doubt they walk away from JBo if he wants to come back and is still healthy and effective - under those conditions, he is inarguably one of our 6 best defensemen.

I also think there should be concern about counting on Gunnarsson, even as a 7th defenseman, given his recent injury history. I think there is a non-zero chance he hangs them up after this season and moves on with his life after hockey. He's still pretty good when healthy, we're just not getting that "Boom Boom" very often anymore. He will always have a spot in Blues History and in our hearts for his OT winner for our first ever Final win on our way to our first ever Cup, but he has to think about life after hockey.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I can't see Mikkola marinating in SA for the rest of this season AND next season. He has clearly impressed Berube and appears ready to play in the NHL. The numbers game may limit him doing that this year, but I can't imagine we want an NHL-ready guy to sit in the AHL indefinitely. Especially since next year will be our big cap crunch year. Barring a big surprise, Mikkola isn't getting a huge arbitration award or expensive extension this summer. Plugging him into the roster over Bortz or Gunnar would save $400-$750k against the cap.

I just can't see Mikkola being in the AHL for 2020/21 so we can hold on to Bortz AND Gunnar, on top of re-signing both J-Bo and Petro.

I think Mikkola has a decent shot to play 20+ games in the NHL this year and might even crack the playoff lineup. Barring regression, I expect the Blues to play him whenever we have a non day-to-day D man injury and possibly in a healthy lineup once rosters expand. He is clearly the leader of the pack among the organization's D men who didn't start the year on the NHL roster and he appears to be ready to provide quality play for cheap in a season where we will need every cap dollar if we extend Petro.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I can't see Mikkola marinating in SA for the rest of this season AND next season. He has clearly impressed Berube and appears ready to play in the NHL. The numbers game may limit him doing that this year, but I can't imagine we want an NHL-ready guy to sit in the AHL indefinitely. Especially since next year will be our big cap crunch year. Barring a big surprise, Mikkola isn't getting a huge arbitration award or expensive extension this summer. Plugging him into the roster over Bortz or Gunnar would save $400-$750k against the cap.

I just can't see Mikkola being in the AHL for 2020/21 so we can hold on to Bortz AND Gunnar, on top of re-signing both J-Bo and Petro.

I think Mikkola has a decent shot to play 20+ games in the NHL this year and might even crack the playoff lineup. Barring regression, I expect the Blues to play him whenever we have a non day-to-day D man injury and possibly in a healthy lineup once rosters expand. He is clearly the leader of the pack among the organization's D men who didn't start the year on the NHL roster and he appears to be ready to provide quality play for cheap in a season where we will need every cap dollar if we extend Petro.

I agree. I see Mikkola making The Blues' regular roster next season, and Gunnarsson out.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Gunnarsson has looked pretty awful in the games he's played this season, he's basically reaching the end of his career. I'd definitely favor Mikkola over him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Gunny’s injuries have about spelled the end for him in a Blues uni. His only hope is that Bouwmeester retires. As long as that doesn’t happen, then this is Carl’s last season in STL.

Mikkola, barring an unforeseen regression, is for sure making the team out of camp.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Gunny’s injuries have about spelled the end for him in a Blues uni. His only hope is that Bouwmeester retires. As long as that doesn’t happen, then this is Carl’s last season in STL.

Mikkola, barring an unforeseen regression, is for sure making the team out of camp.
Are the Blues trading Gunnarsson? He has one more year left after this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad