Prospect Info: Niko Mikkola (127th Overall in 2015) - Signs 2 year ELC

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I wonder if they’ll pair him with Parayko. That could be a scary combo.
Chief should pair him with Parayko. If Mikkola can't handle in these rest of games before TDL Army should acquire LHD. At least Michael Del Zotto type of dmen or better.

Code:
Faulk - Pietro
Mikkola - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo

Gunnar

OR

Code:
Faulk - Pietro
Gunnar - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo

or

Gunnar - Pietro
Bortuzzo - Parayko
Dunn - Faulk

More I think about this, it should be reasonable view that Mikkola should play with Parayko. Dunn and Faulk aren't excatly 'shutdown' type of dmen. Gunnar and Bortuzzo can defend well enough.

Chief has options for try-out, but I would love to see him try Mikkola - Parayko pair. That's the pair what I've always dreamed of Mikkola to get opportunity. I think he would fit perfectly with Parayko. And quite frankly that pair will look dangerous in paper. So fingers crossed.

Last edited:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Chief should pair him with Parayko. If Mikkola can't handle in these rest of games before TDL Army should acquire LHD. At least Michael Del Zotto type of dmen or better.

Code:
Faulk - Pietro
Mikkola - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo

Gunnar

OR

Code:
Faulk - Pietro
Gunnar - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo

or

Gunnar - Pietro
Bortuzzo - Parayko
Dunn - Faulk

More I think about this, it should be reasonable view that Mikkola should play with Parayko. Dunn and Faulk aren't excatly 'shutdown' type of dmen. Gunnar and Bortuzzo can defend well enough.

Chief has options for try-out, but I would love to see him try Mikkola - Parayko pair. That's the pair what I've always dreamed of Mikkola to get opportunity. I think he would fit perfectly with Parayko. And quite frankly that pair will look dangerous in paper. So fingers crossed.

I like this:

Faulk-Pietro
Dunn-Parayko
Mikkola-Bortuzzo
Gunnar as the extra

I thought Mikkola-Bortuzzo was a really good 3rd pairing when they were out there. No offense at all, just don't give up chances. They did that well together.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I like this:

Faulk-Pietro
Dunn-Parayko
Mikkola-Bortuzzo
Gunnar as the extra

I thought Mikkola-Bortuzzo was a really good 3rd pairing when they were out there. No offense at all, just don't give up chances. They did that well together.
In my eyes Parayko's ability to shutdown opposite best forwards kind of lose purpose if he's paired with Dunn who isn't excatly shutdown D. Mikkola should be ideal guy to pair with Parayko if Chief wants to continue and use one pair as shutdown d-pair. Other dmens what could work out are Gunnar or Bortuzzo, but I would like to see first what Mikkola - Parayko would looks like.

but Chief is pro and I'm not so we'll see.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
In my eyes Parayko's ability to shutdown opposite best forwards kind of lose purpose if he's paired with Dunn who isn't excatly shutdown D. Mikkola should be ideal guy to pair with Parayko if Chief wants to continue and use one pair as shutdown d-pair. Other dmens what could work out are Gunnar or Bortuzzo, but I would like to see first what Mikkola - Parayko would looks like.

but Chief is pro and I'm not so we'll see.
I’m with you.

Faulk-Petro
Mikkola/Gunny-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo

should be the pairs. Give Mikkola the first shot and if he struggles or you need more stability then insert Gunnarsson for him.

Reactions: simon IC and Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
giphy.gif

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think this Scandella trade means Mikkola will be send back to AHL.

Its quite crazy how hard its crack in NHL team knowing how good Mikkola is.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I think this Scandella trade means Mikkola will be send back to AHL.

Its quite crazy how hard its crack in NHL team knowing how good Mikkola is.

Mikkola showed he was ready now as far as I'm concerned. The game to game progression was evident and it's rare for a player to come in and make adjustments that quickly, especially at 23. Not happy they blocked Niko this year. We have to just deal with it of course, but you're not alone in being unhappy. Anyway we have an awesome young defenseman so hopefully he gets up here out of camp next season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Mikkola showed he was ready now as far as I'm concerned. The game to game progression was evident and it's rare for a player to come in and make adjustments that quickly, especially at 23. Not happy they blocked Niko this year. We have to just deal with it of course, but you're not alone in being unhappy. Anyway we have an awesome young defenseman so hopefully he gets up here out of camp next season.
If he isn't getting chance in Blues we should dealt and trade him.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I still have a slight feeling Gunnarsson gets traded for some extra space before the deadline. It’s the same feeling I had before today’s trade, because I thought there was no other reason why we were playing Gunnarsson over Mikkola, outside of us showcasing him. Niko was playing over him when Parayko was out, so it made no sense.

I’d just hold off on saying we’ve completely blocked him this year.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I still have a slight feeling Gunnarsson gets traded for some extra space before the deadline. It’s the same feeling I had before today’s trade, because I thought there was no other reason why we were playing Gunnarsson over Mikkola, outside of us showcasing him. Niko was playing over him when Parayko was out, so it made no sense.

I dont believe before I'll see it. Gunnar is too much liked to be traded. I could take money bet Gunnar wont be traded.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Extra space for what? I’m curious as to how the extra space would be worth more than the defensive depth.

Reactions: Blueston
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I’m not all that concerned with Mikkola going down. If we have another injury he’s going to get a shot, and I would have to think he has a really good chance of having a full time role with the Blues next year given what’s transpired with Bouwmeester.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m not all that concerned with Mikkola going down. If we have another injury he’s going to get a shot, and I would have to think he has a really good chance of having a full time role with the Blues next year given what’s transpired with Bouwmeester.
Was he a back ace last year? I’d think he will be this time.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It’s not the first time. You’re on double secret probation. Just try not to screw it up again.
Quite frankly I wouldn't give a damn about. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Would be interesting to know Chief thoughts about Mikkola. How seriously he concider to Mikkola replace Jbo's spot after his incident.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Mikkola will still make the Blues roster out of camp next season.

Right now he’s just in a pickle. The Blues are a Cup contender and want an experienced player to replace Bouwmeester. They are already having to rely on Kyrou up front to help fill in for Tarasenko. So they probably just don’t want another rookie in there trying to learn during the stretch run. It is what it is, but he’ll be back up here soon to be around the guys, and then can spend the offseason adding some more muscle and be ready to start full time in the NHL in October.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Mikkola will still make the Blues roster out of camp next season.

Right now he’s just in a pickle. The Blues are a Cup contender and want an experienced player to replace Bouwmeester. They are already having to rely on Kyrou up front to help fill in for Tarasenko. So they probably just don’t want another rookie in there trying to learn during the stretch run. It is what it is, but he’ll be back up here soon to be around the guys, and then can spend the offseason adding some more muscle and be ready to start full time in the NHL in October.
This is what I hate most. If kid showed his first stint of 5 NHL games progress and quick adjusting from AHL level. Its just what else he has to do and prove to coaching staff to get chance for icetime? Feels like its really hard to crack on team.

I really feel bad for Mikkola. He's such a promising dmen. Maybe this 2-year deal was bad for him and mistake. Blues is too deep in d-core and coaching staff value more NHL experience no matter if prospect could be much better option for lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->