Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Wonder when Mikkola get his debut?

giphy.gif

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I wonder how long Gunnar will be out. I'd be surprised to see Mikkola in the lineup unless another guy gets hurt or Bortz has a truly bad game. Bortz has been good since his return from suspension and I don't see any of the other 5 D being healthy scratched to get a look at a call up. Berube relies on Petro, Parayko, Faulk and Bo for 20+ minutes a night and Dunn is shining in his sheltered TOI. So I doubt we see Mikkola unless Gunnar misses a good chunk more time or somebody else gets dinged up.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I wonder how long Gunnar will be out. I'd be surprised to see Mikkola in the lineup unless another guy gets hurt or Bortz has a truly bad game. Bortz has been good since his return from suspension and I don't see any of the other 5 D being healthy scratched to get a look at a call up. Berube relies on Petro, Parayko, Faulk and Bo for 20+ minutes a night and Dunn is shining in his sheltered TOI. So I doubt we see Mikkola unless Gunnar misses a good chunk more time or somebody else gets dinged up.
giphy.gif

I agree some, Bortuzzo has been stellar after ban. Gunnar is questionmark when he's fully healthy to come back.

I really could see Jbo or even Pietro could get one free day off at this time of year. What about game vs. Kings rest one of them Jbo or Pietro and slide Mikkola in. Pietro would make sense so lineup wouldn't hurt that much. I bet they would feel happy to get one night of for xmas and we've luxury to do it without losing anything while we stand west #1 spot. They both have deserved it. Addin extra toughness and Parayko 2.0 in the left side doesn't hurt us :naughty: + We're playing vs. Kings when we really need exta toughness and secure.

Code:
Jbo - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo
Mikkola - Faulk

Opposite team nightmare :box:
Code:
Jbo - Parayko
Dunn - Faulk
Mikkola - Bortuzzo

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
giphy.gif

I agree some, Bortuzzo has been stellar after ban. Gunnar is questionmark when he's fully healthy to come back.

I really could see Jbo or even Pietro could get one free day off at this time of year. What about game vs. Kings rest one of them Jbo or Pietro and slide Mikkola in. Pietro would make sense so lineup wouldn't hurt that much. I bet they would feel happy to get one night of for xmas and we've luxury to do it without losing anything while we stand west #1 spot. They both have deserved it. Addin extra toughness and Parayko 2.0 in the left side doesn't hurt us :naughty: + We're playing vs. Kings when we really need exta toughness and secure.

Code:
Jbo - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo
Mikkola - Faulk

Opposite team nightmare :box:
Code:
Jbo - Parayko
Dunn - Faulk
Mikkola - Bortuzzo
Name the last time a team healthy scratched their captain in order to get a look at a prospect. I can't think of a single time.

Berube's job is to win games. He is going to ice the best group he can to accomplish that goal. He's not scratching a 20+ minute a night guy just because we are playing a bad team. The Kings are a bad team and they have still won 40.5% of the games they have played. The NHL isn't a league where you can healthy scratch all stars and still easily win.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean, we have been quick to sort of pull the plug on a player. Pouliot had his shot and is probably not coming back unless it's an emergency. Who knows with Walman. So, if Mikkola wants to stick, he's going to need to play well. If he doesn't, we will likely make a Del Zotto trade at the deadline. If he plays well, then he will be that 8th D for the playoffs.

I know injuries have sort of forced these minutes, but I think they definitely want to evaluate if they have a NHL caliber #8 or if they have to trade for one.

Reactions: Brian39 and Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Mikkola records 12:31 TOI in his debut game. Clearly shakey start, but overally while game progress he improved his game. And his first assigment Mikkola was defending full game vs. Joe Jumbo Thornton. Not the easiest task and successfully to shut him down.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Mikkola records 12:31 TOI in his debut game. Clearly shakey start, but overally while game progress he improved his game. And his first assigment Mikkola was defending full game vs. Joe Jumbo Thornton. Not the easiest task and successfully to shut him down.
This really does beg the question - did he do enough to seal a spot in the Hall of Fame tonight or does he need 1 more game to cement it?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
He looked great in his debut, kudos to Mikkola.

Played solid defensively (especially in front of the net) and did not seem overwhelmed by the speed/pace of the NHL. He did lose one or two board battles and I am still concerned his puck handling skills may not be good enough. Would like to see him get some more games on the bottom pairing if Parayko has to miss any more time.

Reactions: Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Mikkola gets more games and improves his value will rise. Even If Army wants to keep him it puts Blues in good situation with Mikkola.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
I am 95% it was Niko, during Sharks game one play that was very noticeable was him carrying the puck up to the sharks blue line and then turning around instead of skating it in despite ample room. Took particular notice of it because every other blues Dman in that position has been coached to bring it in, we see it every game. Not sure how much of it was his unfamiliarity with the blues system versus him just being uncomfortable trying that as a player. Hopefully he can play a couple more at some point and gain some more confidence.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I liked what I saw from him last night and would like for him to be the guy who gets the next chance to play when we need our 8th D man to play.

I agree with @bleedblue1223 and interpreted Berube's comments to mean that this is an audition for being the playoff #8. I think Berube meant, "we didn't think he was NHL ready at the end of training camp, but we believe that he has grown in the AHL this year, is likely NHL ready and has a chance to prove to us that we don't need to trade a late pick for D-man insurance. But on the flip side, if he proves not to be ready now, then he likely won't have another chance this year to prove it and we likely won't be talking about him again until the fall."

IMO, he looked capable of playing limited NHL minutes as well as whatever veteran guy we would get for a 5th rounder.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I am 95% it was Niko, during Sharks game one play that was very noticeable was him carrying the puck up to the sharks blue line and then turning around instead of skating it in despite ample room. Took particular notice of it because every other blues Dman in that position has been coached to bring it in, we see it every game. Not sure how much of it was his unfamiliarity with the blues system versus him just being uncomfortable trying that as a player. Hopefully he can play a couple more at some point and gain some more confidence.
I remember that play. It looked like he was being hooked and he dumped it instead of risk losing it. Probably too conservative a choice when even Bortz likes to take it deep into offensive zone, but for rookie in first game rather he play simple game and be too cautious rather than turn it over there and put us in bad spot.

Dec 15, 2002
And his first assigment Mikkola was defending full game vs. Joe Jumbo Thornton. Not the easiest task and successfully to shut him down.
Joe is 1-17-18 this season and on pace for his lowest PPG average since his rookie year. To be kind of honest, unless you're in the Metropolitan Division (he's 0-7-7 in 9 games this year) or you're Los Angeles (1-2-3 in 3 games), it's not been overly difficult stopping him this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad