Prospect Info: Niko Mikkola (127th Overall in 2015) - Signs 2 year ELC

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Mikkola was impressive. And although I didn't get to see him, I heard Walman looked good too.

This is what a small market team like the Blues needs to do. Find prospects outside the first round, develope them, and work them into the lineup so they are ready when old timers like Bouwmeester are ready to retire.

Reactions: Ranksu

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

c5044fd6d7b8a1a8c0b6f3c0e3f9aebf.jpg

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think Mikkola has a future in the NHL. He’ll get sent down with the return of Gunnarsson and Parayko. But I think he forecasts most favorably on the future Blues roster. Nice to see him get his first NHL point.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
How did Mikkola play? I had to miss this game.
Solid. Better than his first game, which he was fine also. I remember one play that I thought was a misplay, but it almost certainly goes away with confidence. There was a slow, long stretch pass to his side of the ice. The Sabres were changing and he(correctly) stepped up to meet the player at the blue line who had no support. Instead of playing the body and forcing separation and maybe starting the play the other way, he backed off at the last second and started backing up and allowed the easy dump in. He played it like a one on one rather than the one on 4 that it was. It wasn't a critical error by any means, but definitely a spot where I think he would've made the better play if he was in the AHL, but didn't have the confidence yet that he could step up and eliminate the time and space. It would've been a bigger error if it was somebody like Eichel who could've then burned him wide with speed rather than just dumping the puck in.

He made some good plays and started the transition well. He's obviously no Colton Parayko, but he wasn't a detriment in any way. He's fine as a bottom pairing guy right now in case of injury. I would say he's clearly the best/most ready of the three LHDs we've brought up. Walman was fine too, but played a riskier game that I don't think Berube liked quite as much. He played almost 16 minutes with Bobby Bortz too, so Berube liked his game enough to keep going back to him. Was out there a lot with the third line who just feasted on the Sabres, so he wasn't forced to defend a whole lot, but still did well when he needed to. If Parayko took off until the All Star break to get healthy I don't think we'd be sweating it too much.

Reactions: Brian39 and Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I watched afterwards last night game. Mikkola didn't play SH like nhl.com said, but total icetime 15:51 which I don't believe too. I try to look objectively Mikkola's game, there was couple mistakes, but this was imo totally another level performance. He did carry the puck, set up transition game up, take a charge for rush games, he wanted puck. Clearly you can see he was more comfortable on ice than in his 1st game.

Now I have to ask generally there was 1st game more than few members saying Mikkola needs to improve his first strides, I think his skating looked good. Ofc he can improve it, but to me he looked like Parayko when he accelerated and not single time he lost puck skating race and could pinch out forward and set him in to boards.

One thing what was noticable difference between 1st and 2nd game was his good reach and defensive stick game. And this could sound biased, but Mikkola was only dmen who clearly played his own man everytime and box him out of crease. Really love how he accelerate and wanted to be 1st man in the boards and win puck battle.
I still haven't seen that mean game what he has, heavy hits and very hard on 1on1 situation at crease and boards.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
@Ranksu

"Niko Mikkola not only picked up his first NHL point (assist on Bozak goal), he played 15:51, was a plus-3 with one hit and absorbed a hit on the goal. I don't know about you guys, but I really like this kid's game so far. He looks like a left-handed Colton Parayko. #stlblues"

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Calling him a left-handed Parayko is a bit absurd imo, and no disrespect to Mikkola as he's looked very solid in both games he's played.

Maybe he means comparable to Parayko after Carlton's first two games.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I’m a Mikkola fan, and granted, I didn’t see the last game, but I think we might need to pump the brakes here.

I would love to shed Gunnar’s cap in general, but Mikkola has more to prove before he’ll be that trusted. Hopefully he continues to impress.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Calling him a left-handed Parayko is a bit absurd imo, and no disrespect to Mikkola as he's looked very solid in both games he's played.
Eh, I think it was meant to describe Mikkola's game isn't so dissimilar to Parayko's.

Both are big bodies that are deceptively quick thanks to their above average skating (although I have always found Mikkola's to be much better than Parayko's). They use their mobility to to clear the defensive zone as opposed to clearing the puck with passes or other such clears. Both make use of their wingspan to take pucks away with well timed poke-checks and stick lifting. The only real difference in their defensive game is Mikkola's physicality. He is much more willing to grind opposing players down than Parayko is.

But their offensive games are night-and-day up until this point in time. Parayko has a much more polished offensive ability thanks to his much better puck handling and shot. The sad part is that it's an indictment on both Parayko and Mikkola thus far. If Parayko is struggling to generate offense, and Mikkola isn't as good as him, then Mikkola better develop some unforeseen hitherto offensive game or become Bouwmeester 2.0 if he wishes to stay in the lineup.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think nobody isn't excpeting to him become new offensive dynamo for blueline or I doesn't excpect. Jbo 2.0 at the best situation and more physical. I'll take that. Mikkola is just 23-years old and only played 2 games at NHL level. That kid has some natural growth coming and I think there is potential him to develope at lot of what he's now.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
I think nobody isn't excpeting to him become new offensive dynamo for blueline or I doesn't excpect. Jbo 2.0 at the best situation and more physical. I'll take that. Mikkola is just 23-years old and only played 2 games at NHL level. That kid has some natural growth coming and I think there is potential him to develope at lot of what he's now.

he has shutdown defense all over him ... he can be like chara .... no way you trade him ..

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I’m a Mikkola fan, and granted, I didn’t see the last game, but I think we might need to pump the brakes here.

I would love to shed Gunnar’s cap in general, but Mikkola has more to prove before he’ll be that trusted. Hopefully he continues to impress.
I mean with Gunnar missing 35% of his time in St. Louis (50% the past 3 years), I think it would be fine trading him away. He contributed a lot in the post season which may or may not be sorely missed, but you won't know until you give the kid a chance to prove himself. If Bouw looks fine for next year and Mikkola looks good, then I think you can trade away Gunnar. Plus, you've got Perunovich who could impress the club assuming he signs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad