Injury Report: Niklas Kronwall: On LTIR; Earliest return Feb. 13

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
haven't even noticed kronwall not being in the lineup. that's how bad he's been this year

Yep.

Like I said:

Him being out for a while will make the people who still think he's any good realize he's actually been one of our worst defensemen this year. Whatever supposed "inferior defenseman" on the team takes Kronwall's "tough minutes" will perform just as well as Kronwall has.

:yo:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
haven't even noticed kronwall not being in the lineup. that's how bad he's been this year

These are funny comments. In my eye-test offensive advanced stats, he has been second best after Green on average.

And with BinCookin's stats, also just fine.

Considering he had an injury all the time, he should come back strong if healthy again.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think you should pay more attention. Defense has looked pretty awful without him imo.

Nevermind the fact that most teams can survive without ANY player for a short period of time. It's in the long run that the effects are noticed. Do I need to mention how good Montreal played at first without Price?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think you should pay more attention. Defense has looked pretty awful without him imo.

Nevermind the fact that most teams can survive without ANY player for a short period of time. It's in the long run that the effects are noticed. Do I need to mention how good Montreal played at first without Price?

The team scores more

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I can't see Holland trading Smith. Possibly XO or Jensen could be on the move though.

The way that Blashill talked, It sounded like he thinks that XO has a great chance to make the team next year. So i don't think he will get moved unless it's for a massive upgrade on D i think both XO and Marchenko make the club and Sproul and Jensen are the odds ones out and get moved.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So some more time for Brendan Smith to raise his trade value.

Don't know if true, But on of the posters on Michigan Live said that he heard a rumor that Detroit was offering Sheahan+Smith+2nd round pick to Boston for Eriksson that would be costly for a rental and the 2nd would turn into a 1st if Eriksson should sign with us i would be happy with that if true.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
The way that Blashill talked, It sounded like he thinks that XO has a great chance to make the team next year. So i don't think he will get moved unless it's for a massive upgrade on D i think both XO and Marchenko make the club and Sproul and Jensen are the odds ones out and get moved.

I doubt Sproul gets traded considering how he is playing this year. His offensive game is still there and his defensive game has markedly improved. For someone who look liked he might not make the NHL last year he has taken major strides. I don't see how he doesn't make the NHL in some capacity.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Sure, XO has a chance to make the team, but as what? The #6? Neither Marcheno nor XO have shown any ability to be difference makers, so I don't see them as being integral to the future.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
The only dmen Holland is unlikely to move are Kronwall, Green, Dekeyser and Saarijarvi. Literally every other dman down the roster is likely available.

This is mostly because every other dman down the roster is a dime-a-dozen.

By the way, is Saarijarvi really a +10 on a team that has the second highest scoring dman a -32? What the bleep is going on in Flint this year? First the coach firing and subsequent walkout and renege, and now some bizarre stat lines. And 6 goalies? Wow. Craziness.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Don't know if true, But on of the posters on Michigan Live said that he heard a rumor that Detroit was offering Sheahan+Smith+2nd round pick to Boston for Eriksson that would be costly for a rental and the 2nd would turn into a 1st if Eriksson should sign with us i would be happy with that if true.

Holland won't do that

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
The only dmen Holland is unlikely to move are Kronwall, Green, Dekeyser and Saarijarvi. Literally every other dman down the roster is likely available.

This is mostly because every other dman down the roster is a dime-a-dozen.

By the way, is Saarijarvi really a +10 on a team that has the second highest scoring dman a -32? What the bleep is going on in Flint this year? First the coach firing and subsequent walkout and renege, and now some bizarre stat lines. And 6 goalies? Wow. Craziness.

2 goalies were traded....1 out for the season and 1 was released...the team is a shell of what it was opening night

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Some interesting numbers. We've played 4 games with Kronwall out. It's a small sample size for sure, but we're scoring more and giving up fewer without him.

In those 4 games:
GFA: 2.75
GAA: 2.00

In the previous 4 games:
GFA: 2.00

Since we have more data the other way, let's expand those four games prior to Kronwall's injury to 10 days:
GFA: 1.90
GAA: 2.40

And if you wanted to expand that again to the 20 games before Kronwall's injury:
GFA: 2.50
GAA: 2.45

What does it all mean? Hell if I know. There's not enough info to make any solid claims.

One thing, though, we certainly don't seem to have taken much of a step back.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Some interesting numbers. We've played 4 games with Kronwall out. It's a small sample size for sure, but we're scoring more and giving up fewer without him.

In those 4 games:
GFA: 2.75

In the previous 4 games:
GFA: 2.00

Since we have more data the other way, let's expand those four games prior to Kronwall's injury to 10 days:
GFA: 1.90
GAA: 2.40

And if you wanted to expand that again to the 20 games before Kronwall's injury:
GFA: 2.50
GAA: 2.45

What does it all mean? Hell if I know. There's not enough info to make any solid claims.

One thing, though, we certainly don't seem to have taken much of a step back.

small sample as you said but i am not surprised by the numbers. he has been absolutely brutal for most of the year. hopefully this knee scope allows him to return to a somewhat higher level of play down the stretch.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Wow, that's just bad. :help:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Kronwall's been bad (at producing offence) the last couple of years. He's never really been a #1 D but has been put in that position, and that's what the chart tell us.

The first chart is this year vs last year. No real difference.
The second one is 2010 vs 2016. There you can see the difference.

View attachment 87511 View attachment 87513

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Sure, XO has a chance to make the team, but as what? The #6? Neither Marcheno nor XO have shown any ability to be difference makers, so I don't see them as being integral to the future.

Agreed i still see Holland upgrading the D rather is be Vatanen or maybe Shatty this summer or maybe going after Buff then i see Ouellet/Marchenko or any others making the team. Losing Q this summer to FA while retaining either one of Marchenko/Ouellet doesn't make us any better imo.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
OK, it's been 11 games since Kronwall's injury. I looked again at team goals for and against in those games.

GFA: 3.09
GAA: 2.36

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad