Injury Report: Niklas Kronwall: On LTIR; Earliest return Feb. 13

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
This fake-macho opinion always annoyed the **** out of me.

When one of your top guys is out, you hope you can win without him. Sometimes, the team pulls together and wins anyway, despite the injury. And that's great. That's the goal.

But OF COURSE injuries are an excuse. If one guy didn't matter, we wouldn't be paying some guys 10x more than others.

We are going to try to compensate and win without him, but saying his injury isn't an excuse is nothing but useless bravado.

Yeah you win with talent in the long-run. If one of your most talented players is out, especially someone that's already from an area of weakness (defense), that's going to hurt your chances of winning. Our talent level has decreased, so our chances of winning games have decreased. Hopefully other players can step it up, but if they can't, than it's certainly fair to blame some of the defensive shortcomings on missing Kronwall. That's what we pay him for.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

When one of your top guys is out, you hope you can win without him. Sometimes, the team pulls together and wins anyway, despite the injury. And that's great. That's the goal.

But OF COURSE injuries are an excuse. If one guy didn't matter, we wouldn't be paying some guys 10x more than others.

We are going to try to compensate and win without him, but saying his injury isn't an excuse is nothing but useless bravado.

He's not one of their "top guys" this season. He's been terrible.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
With the way Kronwall was playing and being used, I honestly don't think it's going to be the loss it would have been in seasons past.

First off, Dekeyser already plays the toughest minutes. So nothing on that front changes. He's still going to play the most even strength and PK minutes, and he's still going to play against opposing top lines. We know Quincey works well with him, so his return to the lineup comes at a good time.

Secondly, Green is now going to get PP time with our best players. That is an upgrade. I expect our PP to actually improve on that front.

Kronwall was 3rd on the team in even strength and PK ice time. Again, Quincey's return kind of offsets that, especially when you consider that Kronwall was not providing any offense in those situations.

Nice breakdown Silky, and an interesting read/prediction. You took some factual information about player usage and forecasted how the injury will impact everyone. Admittdly I am always the optomist, but your breakdown holds good logic.

I agree with this as well but can recognize this is a resluts oriented busines. I just don't understand how people can expect a team to earn consistent results after losing a key piece(s). I dont care if you want to call it an excuse, a reason or any other term. Losing a top performer is going to have a negative impact (barring some kind of overachievement else where) on team performance.

He's not one of their "top guys" this season. He's been terrible.

Is it really a stretch to conclude this injury has lead to his performance this year? It can't be that hard to believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kronwall gets injured, DeKeyser takes the torch and scores 2+1 in first three games on his new shoes as 1st defenceman. And has been +4.

Interesting. :)

Actual Thought*

Kronwall gets injured, DeKeyser takes the torch and scores 2+1 in first three games on his new shoes as 1st defenceman. And has been +4.

It is interesting. I also expect Kronner to be better when he comes back rested with a healthy knee.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Is it really a stretch to conclude this injury has lead to his performance this year? It can't be that hard to believe.

It doesn't matter what the reason for his play is, he's not one of their "top guys" this season (which is what I was refuting). Whether it's his age, his knee injury, or some other reason is irrelevant to the fact that he's been terrible this season and the Wings don't/won't miss him when he's out for this month.

He's not a "top guy" this season, he's not good this season, and they won't miss his play when he's getting surgery. None of those facts are changed even if the reason for his poor play is the injury.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It doesn't matter what the reason for his play is, he's not one of their "top guys" this season (which is what I was refuting). Whether it's his age, his knee injury, or some other reason is irrelevant to the fact that he's been terrible this season and the Wings don't/won't miss him when he's out for this month.

He's not a "top guy" this season, he's not good this season, and they won't miss his play when he's getting surgery. None of those facts are changed even if the reason for his poor play is the injury.

If the reason for his play was his knee, and his knee is getting fixed, then yeah it does kinda matter what the reason for his play was.

Coming back healthy could change everything.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

DDK sucks though remember :sarcasm:
It is interesting. I also expect Kronner to be better when he comes back rested with a healthy knee.

I think so too. I don't think he's going to be an all world defender when he gets back, but I think he can be solid when his legs get under him after the break.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Our defencemen have scored 13 goals, 7 defencemen 13 goals, DD has scored 6.

I think blashs system really helps the dmen produce

Now only if the pp was any good

Quincey would be on pace for like 20 points or so if he was healthy. Smith would be around 25-30 if he played the powerplay more

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If the reason for his play was his knee, and his knee is getting fixed, then yeah it does kinda matter what the reason for his play was.

Coming back healthy could change everything.

You're totally missing the point.

Again, my original post was to whoever said the Wings are in trouble now that Kronwall is going to be out because he is their "top guy". The point is, that Kronwall was NOT playing like the "top guy" and was in fact playing like crap. Whatever the reason for his poor play doesn't matter, as the Red Wings will not (and do not) miss a player (while he's getting surgery and recovering) who was playing extremely poorly.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You're totally missing the point.

Again, my original post was to whoever said the Wings are in trouble now that Kronwall is going to be out because he is their "top guy". The point is, that Kronwall was NOT playing like the "top guy" and was in fact playing like crap. Whatever the reason for his poor play doesn't matter, as the Red Wings will not (and do not) miss a player (while he's getting surgery and recovering) who was playing extremely poorly.

Well all that depends. I agree with you, I don't think this time missed will be detrimental to our season. If Kronwall was replaced by say, Kindl, yes that IS a downgrade. But if Smith plays somewhat decent, then we aren't in any trouble at all.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Literally the opposite has happened.

No it hasnt

Danny d will get alittle less points more goals
Quincey would be on pace for more points

Ericsson stays about the same. So does smith

If the powerplay is any good. Or smith goes on the powerplay you would see an increase in the points for dmen

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think blashs system really helps the dmen produce

Now only if the pp was any good

Quincey would be on pace for like 20 points or so if he was healthy. Smith would be around 25-30 if he played the powerplay more

How much did our defence score last season at 5-on-5?

I see missing power-play points as the only difference.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No it hasnt

Danny d will get alittle less points more goals
Quincey would be on pace for more points

Ericsson stays about the same. So does smith

If the powerplay is any good. Or smith goes on the powerplay you would see an increase in the points for dmen

Yes it has. You said Dekeyser's pt totals are down. So are Green and Kronwall's. Big time. That's half our defense. And the good half.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
How much did our defence score last season at 5-on-5?

I see missing power-play points as the only difference.

Last year at 5v5 the defensemen on the team totaled 21 goals/74 assists/95 points

This year at 5v5 the defensemen on the team are on pace for 18 goals/62 assists/80 points

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last year at 5v5 the defensemen on the team totaled 21 goals/74 assists/95 points

This year at 5v5 the defensemen on the team are on pace for 18 goals/62 assists/80 points

Okay, thanks for these. Look quite obvious problem. Last season defence wasn't high-scoring either. Now it's even worse.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Okay, thanks for these. Look quite obvious problem. Last season defence wasn't high-scoring either. Now it's even worse.

The scoring is down throughout the league. Our team scores less.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yes it has. You said Dekeyser's pt totals are down. So are Green and Kronwall's. Big time. That's half our defense. And the good half.

That's cause of the powerplay. Danny D still has around the same amount but way more goals. Quincey would probably have more and smith might end up with a carrer high

Can't say anything for kronwall

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Sucks that 5v5 all league wide is down I blame this all on kronwall ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad