Friedman: Niklas Hjalmarsson refuses to waive NMC

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Looks like his wife and kids traveled with him to AZ when he was traded. A divorce occurred sometime after that but before he signed his next contract. Which explains why he re-signed in the first place, why he demanded the NMC, and why he’s now refusing to waive it.

This makes sense. And honestly, it wouldn’t be outrageous to think he might sign another extension. If his ex-wife isn’t going to move again, he may not either.

Niklas Hjalmarsson tries to move on after regrettable trade from Blackhawks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What athlete (active or retired) wouldn't love playing in Arizona?
Given the typical NHL season goes from Oct to April, that's the best time to be there. July and August, is a different story.

Plus, you don't get recognized, so you can blend in with the crowd if you wish.

Weather, don't have to worry about the spouse and kids dealing with the snow or rain.

Understand it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker's wife has a similar situation. She has to stay in Minnesota while Jason lives in Pittsburgh so her children have uninterrupted visitation rights with their father(her 1st marriage).

A lot of us are way too quick to judge.

Reactions: sweetberrywine

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Bet this has nothing to do with the team, and rather him and his family like it where they are.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'll never understand why a player of his caliber gets a NMC.

They really need to be more restrictive with those. McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov? Sure - NMC all they want. But i dont think non-star players should get them.

Good for him - not criticizing him, it's his right, but the system seems flawed to me

Exactly. I love Darren Helm but he and players like him should never sniff anything close to trade or movement protection, and then there are even worse examples in Abdelkader and Ericsson. If I am GM and depth players will only sign with those, you let them walk and sign someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad