Friedman: Niklas Hjalmarsson refuses to waive NMC

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Kuemper, Goligoski, are all likely ti go maybe Raanta to at some point closer to the deadline that's a fire sale
All our rumored players going out the door predate BA. I'm sure we're taking calls but there is no guarantee anyone mentioned will be heading out. The only thing we can say for certain is management wants to get the budget down a bit. That could be Kuemper and OEL and the day is done. That's not a fire sale given OEL had his worst season to date and Kuemper is at his highest value ever. We don't even know what the returns being asked for are now. Maybe they want ELC forwards in return to try and compete this next season.

Our team isn't in the dire straights we Coyotes fans make us out to be (myself included). Canning RT and bringing in someone competent would go a long way in our success, our roster has talent.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
With a NTC the market would have been pretty limited for Hjalmarsson - possibly even as little as 1 team, which likely would have limited what the Coyotes could ask for in return.

Btw, if this is any indication it might not be so easy for Tampa to move their NTC's this offseason either.
I don't think anyone is under any illusions that any TB player with a veto will agree to a trade. I'm sure their plans already include moving players without them, not going to players with NTC/NMC protection and shipping them out. That is a big part of why their offseason gymnastics to be cap compliant are going to be so complex. They will need to trade players they'd rather keep, and keep players they'd perhaps think of moving before others.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I bet he changes his mind at the deadline when Arizona is at the bottom of the west this season after Hall leaves and Kuemper is likely traded, maybe Goligoski and OEL.

the fire sale is coming and I have a hard time believing he's sticking around all year
Why is that? Because he burns with a white hot burning flame to land his... fourth Cup? Diminishing returns, and the sun is nice in the winter. Quality of life is a real factor for players, and he's not the first to fall in love with playing in Arizona.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I like Hammer, and with an NMC he does have the right of refusal, but to be honest, if a player can look at that trainwreck of an organization with almost zero chance of winning anything, and refuse to leave, I wouldn't want them on my team. That is not a player who wants to win. Or even help his team(if he wanted to be "loyal" to the Coyotes, he'd let them get an asset for him so they can be better). Playing for the Coyotes is like getting to management in a civil service job. Just show up and collect your cheque while waiting for your cushy retirement.
In any given year probably 50-75% of the league can say they have no reasonable shot at winning the cup, yet most players on those teams give 100% effort and don't demand a trade to a contender. If he was clearly coasting, you'd have a point, but currently all evidence points to you being wrong.

Players can still play their best for the enjoyment of the game and out of a sense of responsibility to their teammates, even if they don't think they'll win the cup. ROR speaking about losing his passion for the game in Buffalo was somewhat of an outlier IMO.

It's entirely reasonable for him to not want to relocate his family.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
A lot of players probably don’t want to deal with moving their families during this time. He also only has 1 year on his contract. Why move now and potentially have to move again when his contract is up? I don’t blame him. He had the NMC and he used it. Good for him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why is that? Because he burns with a white hot burning flame to land his... fourth Cup? Diminishing returns, and the sun is nice in the winter. Quality of life is a real factor for players, and he's not the first to fall in love with playing in Arizona.

I just think he's going to want to go to a contender at the deadline, call me crazy but I think he enjoyed wining those cups and would enjoy potentially doing it again

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Anyone who doesn’t love intense heat?

Florida would be a nightmare to some.

People are dynamic, who knew.

It's not hot during the season. The players basically get to skip all the bad weather.

Hjalmarsson is divorced but his kids are still living in Scottsdale afaik so it's probably a desire to be close to them.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Quicksand definitely hasn’t been as big an issue in my life as I thought it would be as a kid. Not going to lie, I truly used to think it was going to be a major obstacle in life.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Also it’s different waiving now and waiving at the TDL. Putting aside the questions about what the next season will actually be like, it’s possible for him to be traded to a team that does terribly and they ends up flipping him at the TDL. There’s a limited number of sure fire playoff teams in the league and anything can happen. He could also find himself on a better team but in a worse situation for himself where he’s a bad fit and gets limited playing time. I get wanting to wait until the TDL or staying put, the first year on a new team can be a bumpy work in progress for a defenseman.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Makes sense.

If I had 3 cups, I'd stay in a warm place where my family has put down some roots too.

Reactions: McSuper

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think he's waiting to see what happens with the league next season. No reason to uproot yourself and/or your family while the future is uncertain. Not to mention, with everything going on now, who really feels like searching for property in new cities, learning the town, meeting people, etc. There's a lot involved in a move--and right now isn't the best time to embark on that. The man has a NTC and he's exercising his right--good for him.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I just got back from Phoenix for the first time and I can say I would do the same thing. Perfect weather and nice area. It’s worth the trade off to play for a bumbling franchise when you’ve already got some rings.
No sane person thinks AZs weather is perfect. Unless it’s December

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
You sound like my friends who live in Arizona--they complain about the heat all the time. Umm, I'm like, "why live there then?" :huh: :laugh:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Obvious you never been to AZ. Been here for 40+ years and still working on my tan. Still haven't come across a rattlesnake, use to catch scorpions. Best time in AZ is from the beginning of the year to the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad