Friedman: Niklas Hjalmarsson refuses to waive NMC

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
People always claim no player will want to play in/sign with/be traded to/be drafted by Arizona. Yet most players love it there, and here's another example.

I don't blame Hjalmarsson. I doubt many will. He's found a good spot for himself, and he has earned the right to decline a change.
There's a big difference between choosing to move to a place and choosing to stay in a place. I think this says more about his situation than it does about Arizona. If he allowed a trade, he'd have to move his family for a year (and then likely move again after that) and he'd likely be taking a lesser role on the new team. That's an entirely different situation from a UFA who'd have to move regardless. Until we see a big name UFA sign in Arizona, I'm not sure it's all that different from Buffalo or Ottawa right now.

Reactions: qqaz

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i think maybe he negotiates an extension to waive, say 2x$4, to agree to trade to new team
being a UFA next summer would be much less leverage

I would ask for 2x~$4M, w NTC but allows for Exp draft exposure.
Maybe with an option further extension which is guaranteed if claimed

Reactions: duckpuck

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll never understand why a player of his caliber gets a NMC.

They really need to be more restrictive with those. McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov? Sure - NMC all they want. But i dont think non-star players should get them.

Good for him - not criticizing him, it's his right, but the system seems flawed to me

On the surface, I agree, but it's easy to say that and not as easy to implement. NTC/NMC's are sometimes used to attract a player to a place where he may not want to go/stay and to lessen the dollar/term of a contract.

I don't think (most) GM's want to give a NTC/NMC, but in some cases, it's what closes the deal or seen as the best option among all the variables.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I like Hammer, and with an NMC he does have the right of refusal, but to be honest, if a player can look at that trainwreck of an organization with almost zero chance of winning anything, and refuse to leave, I wouldn't want them on my team. That is not a player who wants to win. Or even help his team(if he wanted to be "loyal" to the Coyotes, he'd let them get an asset for him so they can be better). Playing for the Coyotes is like getting to management in a civil service job. Just show up and collect your cheque while waiting for your cushy retirement.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
On the surface, I agree, but it's easy to say that and not as easy to implement. NTC/NMC's are sometimes used to attract a player to a place where he may not want to go/stay and to lessen the dollar/term of a contract.

I don't think (most) GM's want to give a NTC/NMC, but in some cases, it's what closes the deal or seen as the best option among all the variables.

Oh I agree that it's definitely used as a negotiating tactic. Do you take 3.7M$ and no NMC, or 3.5M$ and full NMC? Likely the latter.

I wouldn't mind seeing the league put a cap on how many NMC clauses a team can have.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Who gave this guy a NMC?

but now that he has it: Good for him. Live your life bro - I'm happy for Nik.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'll never understand why a player of his caliber gets a NMC.

They really need to be more restrictive with those. McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov? Sure - NMC all they want. But i dont think non-star players should get them.

Good for him - not criticizing him, it's his right, but the system seems flawed to me
It's just another layer of the negotiation. Hjalmarsson signed a two year deal to stay in Arizona, he could have three or four years in UFA... he sacrificed term to get control of where he would be.

If they gave him a four or five year deal with a NMC then I'd agree that it was crazy, but in this case it's fine.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I like Hammer, and with an NMC he does have the right of refusal, but to be honest, if a player can look at that trainwreck of an organization with almost zero chance of winning anything, and refuse to leave, I wouldn't want them on my team. That is not a player who wants to win. Or even help his team(if he wanted to be "loyal" to the Coyotes, he'd let them get an asset for him so they can be better). Playing for the Coyotes is like getting to management in a civil service job. Just show up and collect your cheque while waiting for your cushy retirement.

Eh.. this is such bs.

You don't even know the reason why. He has a family that might not want to move and that's more important to him right now.

He's UFA after next season. Going somewhere now then signing with another team next year would mean a lot of life changes for one family in a short period of time.

As far as i can tell from watching him play compete level is never the issue with him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yet most players love it there, and here's another example.

Buffalo.

Many who have come to buffalo settle there because cost for housing is cheap compared to other places, Area is fri ndly, you have a good agriculture/fresh good area. Winters aren’t brutal like they can be in places like Manitoba/ Zminnesota snd you aren’t hot and humid in the summer like it is in the SE.

Reactions: qqaz

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Hammer sacrificed his body for so long, he's earned the right to refuse.
Good for him, enjoy life.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Good to see a player use the contract clause they bargained for.

I do wonder who the jilted team is though.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Good for Hjalmarsson. He has his Cups and Arizona is a great place to retire.
This. He is a very family focused, down to earth guy. He cares more about stability at this point in his career. He was very shocked he was traded because him and his wife were content to live out their lives in Chicago before they moved him. He also at one point in the past talked about his most recent contract in Chicago and talked about how friendly of a deal he took and said he's already made a ton of money and didnt need to make more and he made more in his previous contract than he probably deserved (referring to the offer sheet Chicago matched from San Jose).

Guy is a class act and heart/soul player

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I bet he changes his mind at the deadline when Arizona is at the bottom of the west this season after Hall leaves and Kuemper is likely traded, maybe Goligoski and OEL.

the fire sale is coming and I have a hard time believing he's sticking around all year
Think of it less as a fire sale and more of a changing of the guard. We have a young core to build around but need to move vets for a different mix. We also have no picks to go full rebuild, if the core fails over the next 2 years then I think a fire sale is going to take place. Hammer will be retired by then.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Think of it less as a fire sale and more of a changing of the guard. We have a young core to build around but need to move vets for a different mix. We also have no picks to go full rebuild, if the core fails over the next 2 years then I think a fire sale is going to take place. Hammer will be retired by then.

Kuemper, Goligoski, are all likely ti go maybe Raanta to at some point closer to the deadline that's a fire sale

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I just got back from Phoenix for the first time and I can say I would do the same thing. Perfect weather and nice area. It’s worth the trade off to play for a bumbling franchise when you’ve already got some rings.
*sitting on my deck, where it's 110 degrees"
"This is perfect!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad