Friedman: Niklas Hjalmarsson refuses to waive NMC

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
No sane person thinks AZs weather is perfect. Unless it’s December

I think every place is somebody's "perfect place to live." I know full well that Rochester isn't on that list for most people, but I moved away from Roc this year and miss it so much (I'm in Arkansas now). Like, I'm legit considering a lesser job so that I can return.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'll never understand why a player of his caliber gets a NMC.

They really need to be more restrictive with those. McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov? Sure - NMC all they want. But i dont think non-star players should get them.

Good for him - not criticizing him, it's his right, but the system seems flawed to me

Mid range players get NTCs so that they take less money to fit under the cap. If the goal is to win the cup in a given year, who gives a shit if players use their NTCs 4 years later if you win or get to the finals.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
*sitting on my deck, where it's 110 degrees"
"This is perfect!"

upload_2020-9-21_18-25-23.png

Reactions: Summer Rose

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I mean... To each their own. He's got his cups, accolades, money, etc. Maybe he just wants a calm end to his career in Arizona.

Reactions: Summer Rose

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
What athlete (active or retired) wouldn't love playing in Arizona?
Many people. I don't get why people who happen to like hot, sunny places, often seem to think that EVERYONE likes what they like.

To me, heat and suburbs are just about the opposite of what I'd want.

Reactions: Luckylarry

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he bargained for that nmc. before you judge a man for relying on the right he bargained for in the time of covid, ask yourself, how many kids does he have, are any settled in school, do they have any special needs, will his wife happily relocate, and how strong is his marriage?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Many people. I don't get why people who happen to like hot, sunny places, often seem to think that EVERYONE likes what they like.

To me, heat and suburbs are just about the opposite of what I'd want.
For the excitement of playing hockey a lot of people would prefer a Canadian City. There’s just so much more involved though than just that.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
For the excitement of playing hockey a lot of people would prefer a Canadian City. There’s just so much more involved though than just that.
So many factors. I don't hate Canadian winters, personally - it's summers that I don't like.

So many variables to consider.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

And a lot of people do what they can to avoid Canadian cities. There's no one size fits all.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Up here in Minnesota i worry constantly about being attacked by Wolverines.

Most people in Minnesota fear Wolverines. Every now and then, the Golden Gophers win a game, but usually Michigan owns them. (speaking of football of course. Hockey is all together different).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You sound like my friends who live in Arizona--they complain about the heat all the time. Umm, I'm like, "why live there then?" :huh: :laugh:

It's not really any different than my relatives in the northern MI and WI that complain about winter all the time. There's really no nirvana. Weatherwise, San Diego is probably close, but the population, traffic, etc.. makes it not so fun.

Reactions: sweetberrywine

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is the bad side of the coin when it comes to the advantage that these southern markets have. They have this great tax environment usually, and amazing climates. Players will sign with them for less, and it seems unfair to us more northerly teams. However, those players in those markets will take less cash as long as it comes with a NMC, and they will never waive.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
he bargained for that nmc. before you judge a man for relying on the right he bargained for in the time of covid, ask yourself, how many kids does he have, are any settled in school, do they have any special needs, will his wife happily relocate, and how strong is his marriage?
Pretty sure he’s divorced, which makes his refusal to waive make sense. He can’t force his ex with shared custody to uproot and follow him to his new city.

Reactions: teddygmr

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Apparently you've never experienced a non Vancouver Canadian winter.
I lived in Crested Butte and Gunnison for 2 years. Alma Co for another...

I film winter sports for a living. I’ve spent months in cabins in the Selkirks with little to no power.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1. good for Hjalm.
2. Could entirely be he likes where he is etc, but
also possible he is establishing who has (upper) hand here.

He may be open to 1-3 select locations IF and as long as it is understand he controls everything now, AND WILL CONTINUE TO CONTROL going forward, what happens since he is now and continuing to assert his NMC.

That is if he waives 1x now, does not mean he has waived as to any other instance during life of his contract.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Obvious you never been to AZ. Been here for 40+ years and still working on my tan. Still haven't come across a rattlesnake, use to catch scorpions. Best time in AZ is from the beginning of the year to the trade deadline.
Lived there 8 months and left. I’ve never lived in a more boring and basic place. Also the weather blows.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Anyone who doesn’t love intense heat?

Florida would be a nightmare to some.

People are dynamic, who knew.
My brother in law used to tell me that anyone that lived south of 60 degrees latitude was soft. He maintained that the men living there were effeminate and the women merely unfortunate. He was often the victim of, what he considered, unprovoked assaults whenever he did venture south.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad