Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I would pass on Hronek at over 7.5 and I wouldn’t sign Zadorov at all. He’s not signing anything reasonable. Lot of miles.

I‘m putting a lot of stock into if Hronek sits this week. If he does, he’s not hitting 50 points. And being content with that means he’s okay shaving a few hundred k off his next deal.

And if he plays 25 minutes in each game, squeezing every penny means he’s not in Vancouver next year.

I already have a guess that VAN’s blueline has Tanev, Dillon, and Juulsen taking Myers, Zadorov, and Cole’s spots next year.

I’m not concerned with this management’s ability to identify the right fits and get them signed at fair deals
I agree with your overall take.

I do think though that they will likely bring back Myers and on a cheaper deal. I was one of his biggest critics last year, but he's been very steady and solid this year. I don't know why our fans keep going after him. He's been more physical, and has handled the puck a lot better in transition too. I could do without the stupid penalties, but noone is perfect.

I also would love if we could get Dillon. A friend of mine has met him several times for youth hockey stuff, and says he is complete class and great person.

I wouldn't even be opposed to bringing Cole back with regular maintenance off games. I think he's been underrated addition on our blueline.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I agree with your overall take.

I do think though that they will likely bring back Myers and on a cheaper deal. I was one of his biggest critics last year, but he's been very steady and solid this year. I don't know why our fans keep going after him. He's been more physical, and has handled the puck a lot better in transition too. I could do without the stupid penalties, but noone is perfect.

I also would love if we could get Dillon. A friend of mine has met him several times for youth hockey stuff, and says he is complete class and great person.

I wouldn't even be opposed to bringing Cole back with regular maintenance off games. I think he's been underrated addition on our blueline.
I do think Myers has played well this year, but I don’t think I’d even do a 3x2 or similar. I think Juulsen is good enough to play 14-15 minutes until February and then if they want to upgrade, they can then.

I think from a cap perspective, you can and should only have one multimillion bottom pair D. At least up until the TDL. Use that cap space in more important areas before then

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously with only three d-man on guarantied contracts for next season--Hughes-Juulsen-Soucy, and an RFA in Hronek, the Canucks simply don't have the cap room to fill that many holes.

So unless you're absolutely convinced you can do better than Zadorov on the open market, then he has to be a priority. I haven't really glanced around the league, but doesn't strike me as a strong off-season for UFA blueliners.

So unless they're convinced that one of the young d-men in Abbotsford can step up and play (doubtful), then bringing back Zadorov and maybe even Myers might the only option.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
One thing I’ll say is I like the “game within the game” Big Z plays.

Ian Cole levelled Josh Doan a few games ago, he then got challenged by O’Brien and McBain during his following shifts. Zadorov tags them both with big hits after, they settle down right after that.

Today, Nino slashes at Soucy in a meaningless game. Next shift for Nino he gets levelled by Zadorov.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I think he's going to get paid a lot more than some of the prognostications here. Like 5M+, maybe upward of 6 or 7 or more...long term.
This is a league where Gudbranson has been signed for 4 x 4 twice, to be a fake version of what Zaddy actually is. True,. handsomer and Canadian, and both those gm's are unemployed now, but still seems likely to me.

Reactions: David71

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
If he establishes himself as a difference maker in the playoffs the management group will sign him to what he wants.
There's still a salary cap. I mean what if we go on a run and Zadorov and Hronek both play fantastic? Hard choices will have to be made. Thank god, Benning is gone.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
One thing I’ll say is I like the “game within the game” Big Z plays.

Ian Cole levelled Josh Doan a few games ago, he then got challenged by O’Brien and McBain during his following shifts. Zadorov tags them both with big hits after, they settle down right after that.

Today, Nino slashes at Soucy in a meaningless game. Next shift for Nino he gets levelled by Zadorov.
That last game against the jets was pretty soft from both sides, understandably. Except for Zadorov, in the third he was going after guys... My way too deep read into it is hes saying to the other team 'bring it'... And they usually dont. Could be a physical difference maker in a series that the other fanbase hates passionately by the end of the series. Hoping is true :yo:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
zadorov is the x factor for the playoffs with his hits. it can set the tone. nobody would be touching hughes/petey
Zadorov could be the 'x-factor' in this series with the Preds. You know they're going to come out and try to slow the Canucks down by punishing them along the walls. But they won't try that with Zadorov.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Zadorov could be the 'x-factor' in this series with the Preds. You know they're going to come out and try to slow the Canucks down by punishing them along the walls. But they won't try that with Zadorov.
zadorov will just squish forsberg like a bug. and nyqvist too.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think he's going to get paid a lot more than some of the prognostications here. Like 5M+, maybe upward of 6 or 7 or more...long term.
This is a league where Gudbranson has been signed for 4 x 4 twice, to be a fake version of what Zaddy actually is. True,. handsomer and Canadian, and both those gm's are unemployed now, but still seems likely to me.

It's hard to say. Keep in mind that Zadorov was a UFA in Summer 2022 (same year as Gudbranson) and went back to Calgary on his current deal. Gudbranson on the same team was a RHD, averaged more minutes and played a key PK role while Big Z didn't.

I like Z, but again he still hasn't been a guy who has been deployed as a top 4 Dman and a top PKer.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Zadorov has no value to the Club compared to the Woodchopper Bonanza of Suter, and Mikheyev @6M+

That is Uber value and well worth losing a crumby inconsequential D-Man for.

Last edited:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
IMG_5978.jpeg

He seems pumped up.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
zadorov is the x factor for the playoffs with his hits. it can set the tone. nobody would be touching hughes/petey
Spot on. Game 1 pretty much confirmed this.

They need to find a way to get both Zadorov and Joshua signed. It'll cost them an arm and a leg to move Michekeyev but maybe you can find a suiter in Chicago or SJS (if they get Celebrini and they just need bodies)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
there was one scrum in front of demko right before the suter goal where zaddy just casually smushed forsberg into the blue paint with one hand like he was putting out a cigarette

my pie in the sky scenario is locking him up at $4 mill AAV by giving him crazy term. six years could maybe get it done? love him as an overqualified #5 but don’t love potentially paying him #3 dollars, which he can probably get from multiple teams.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
there was one scrum in front of demko right before the suter goal where zaddy just casually smushed forsberg into the blue paint with one hand like he was putting out a cigarette

my pie in the sky scenario is locking him up at $4 mill AAV by giving him crazy term. six years could maybe get it done? love him as an overqualified #5 but don’t love potentially paying him #3 dollars, which he can probably get from multiple teams.
He makes mistakes, but I don't think he's that far off from being a #3 in the first place. I'd feel comfortable giving him 4 mils easily.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He makes mistakes, but I don't think he's that far off from being a #3 in the first place. I'd feel comfortable giving him 4 mils easily.

$4 mill absolutely

$5m or more, which i think is on the table for him from multiple suitors, i’d be veeeeeery reluctant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad