Rumor: Nikita Zadorov Would Welcome Move To Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
It’s from here. Doesn’t seem reputable at all.

I have no idea if this is true. To me it is kind of well-thought out though.

Abruzzese, Holmberg and Kokkonen wouldn't be horrific losses. The fact that they are going rather than top prospects would be a blessing. But I guess to make up for that, the 1st rounder is in there. And apparently another pick. If it's one of the 3 5ths or something, who cares.

The bullet to bite would be the 1st. I am a bit tired of them going for rentals, though at least you get two rentals here. You could possibly extend one of them. And as we learned in the Sandin deal, there's time to acquire a 1st back, though shouldn't really come to expect that either.

Idk, I'd rather the 1st be used on quality with term rather than short-term quantity. But that also wouldn't be horrible....

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Need to spend what limited cap space and assets we have on a top 4 RHD.

a #2 d

you can add exemple a tanev, that would not make leafs a harder team to play against. you will still struggling in transition and come playoff time, we will see the same exact result than last playoff

they need a real #2 all around D who can help as much in leafs transition than defendive side

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It’s from here. Doesn’t seem reputable at all.

would be trash if something like that should happen...

why trying to get someone who can make everyone better when you can have someone who will do whats Schenn did last season and a McCabe 2.0 and hope than your 2nd doesn't get destroy again like it was the case last playoff.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This is the problem with many on this board. Most posters do not understand that in the contention cycle, there is a changing over from building (trading for picks) to contending (trading away picks to fill holes).

Yes, you do exactly that.....you trade picks to go for it when you are a contender. No matter what the lowest common denominators say on here, the Leafs are in the contending window.

But I suppose it is called HF, where non-stop building/rebuilding/trading all UFA's/never winning a cup is considered the holy grail.

For the record, they have 9 picks total in the 7 rounds in the 2024 draft, so....
For the record many have warning for years that this team is improperly built and not a contender. Of course we were and are right again. One round in 5 years and they do re hash. This team will not be as good as the OReilly, Accari, Schenn version and will be lucky to win one round. It will then finally mean no more soft top 4 model. Anyone with half a brain can see it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
For the record many have warning for years that this team is improperly built and not a contender. Of course we were and are right again. One round in 5 years and they do re hash. This team will not be as good as the OReilly, Accari, Schenn version and will be lucky to win one round. It will then finally mean no more soft top 4 model. Anyone with half a brain can see it.

I think the internal hope, and for many fans, was that the Top 4 would finally find a will to win, and play that way. I mean... it just hasn't happened has it? That desire to be the best, win at all costs.

I'm not sure when they are going to turn it on.... I mean we will Nylander playing that way.. and that's it. Matthews is supremely talented, but at times just looks like he's skating around, and I feel like Marner hasn't found his game yet this year either.

Yet here we are... Marner with 20 points in 17 games, and I feel like he's coasting. Matthews 21 points, in 17 games... and coasting.

Game in, and game out... just giving barely enough effort, to use their talents just enough... to win... sometimes.

This forum is obsessed with those who support Dubas, and those who blame Dubas. I look at this collection of players, and their lazy efforts at times... and it's clearly on them to me. Ya, any GM is responsible for a lack of success, agreed fully.. but I can also see the need to be patient with a core that is so incredibly talented. We've never had this type of talent before.... and yet, they don't play hard when it counts.. crazy. Last year, you could say Marner was our MVP... this year, Nylander.

Will we ever see them on decide to play hard at once? I keep thinking... one of these days, this whole group is going to decide to play the way they really can... and I've not seen it yet...

We have a new GM... and if the result is the same... you surround this core with different players, different GM.. and the same results... I mean.. maybe a different coach, not that I have anything against Keefe... I'm just spitballing... if you change everything else around them, and continually get the same results, you've got to change the core.... I'm just not sure how.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If it's gonna happen I would love to get this deal done ASAP to give the new guys 3/4 of the season to gel with the team. Those TDL acquisitions never seem to work out because there's not a whole heap of time to get them acclimated ... although in saying that O'Reilly was great when he came in

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think the internal hope, and for many fans, was that the Top 4 would finally find a will to win, and play that way. I mean... it just hasn't happened has it? That desire to be the best, win at all costs.

I'm not sure when they are going to turn it on.... I mean we will Nylander playing that way.. and that's it. Matthews is supremely talented, but at times just looks like he's skating around, and I feel like Marner hasn't found his game yet this year either.

Yet here we are... Marner with 20 points in 17 games, and I feel like he's coasting. Matthews 21 points, in 17 games... and coasting.

Game in, and game out... just giving barely enough effort, to use their talents just enough... to win... sometimes.

This forum is obsessed with those who support Dubas, and those who blame Dubas. I look at this collection of players, and their lazy efforts at times... and it's clearly on them to me. Ya, any GM is responsible for a lack of success, agreed fully.. but I can also see the need to be patient with a core that is so incredibly talented. We've never had this type of talent before.... and yet, they don't play hard when it counts.. crazy. Last year, you could say Marner was our MVP... this year, Nylander.

Will we ever see them on decide to play hard at once? I keep thinking... one of these days, this whole group is going to decide to play the way they really can... and I've not seen it yet...

We have a new GM... and if the result is the same... you surround this core with different players, different GM.. and the same results... I mean.. maybe a different coach, not that I have anything against Keefe... I'm just spitballing... if you change everything else around them, and continually get the same results, you've got to change the core.... I'm just not sure how.
Unfortunately we will have to let Marner walk.The playoffs isn't for weak beta boys.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have no idea if this is true. To me it is kind of well-thought out though.

Abruzzese, Holmberg and Kokkonen wouldn't be horrific losses. The fact that they are going rather than top prospects would be a blessing. But I guess to make up for that, the 1st rounder is in there. And apparently another pick. If it's one of the 3 5ths or something, who cares.

The bullet to bite would be the 1st. I am a bit tired of them going for rentals, though at least you get two rentals here. You could possibly extend one of them. And as we learned in the Sandin deal, there's time to acquire a 1st back, though shouldn't really come to expect that either.

Idk, I'd rather the 1st be used on quality with term rather than short-term quantity. But that also wouldn't be horrible....
I can't imagine who this year's Sandin could possibly be so I don't see up picking up a 1st anywhere along the line.

Great post, exactly how I see things.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Great post.

Balanced and I think it captures the gist of how a lot of us feel.

Not a pro or anti anyone, GM or player. I just want everyone to do their job, which is do everything they can to win, or die trying.

We haven’t seen it yet. What makes is so hard is we can see it, but that’s where the agony lies too.

It’s the can, the if, and the when that makes it so hard, because we can see it and smell it, we just haven’t been able to taste it and we are all freaking starving.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

honestly, last 3 season i dont think it was a lack of effort...i just think leafs are pretty close but just missing

and new gm doesn't mean you will get a drastic change after only 1 season. Im pretty sure what treliving want to do since he the Gm is to build his own D like he did in Calgary and its hard to build your heart in D when only thing available on market are 3rd pair dmen. TDL will very interesting...

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Zadorov is not worth a first in any combination fathomable let alone losing 3 solid young players. He’s prone to giveaways and a slow first step. He’ll be instant scapegoat if we gave up a first for him.
Rather peeke cheaper right handed and controlled doesn’t seem like much of a bidding war either

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

You have to wonder, did we by happenstance end up with a collection of players that all just don't have the will to win when hockey gets real? Or was it less of a coincidence, and more to do with our unusual experiment and bad timing. I dont know for sure, but have my gripes.

Changing up the core was really a tough decision for yesteryear. At this point, it probably means letting folks walk for free. Getting assets back would be mechanically difficult, and they would likely be assets that don't help in the near term.

The promise of this era has been permanently downgraded. We either do with what we have and hope for the best tinkering, or change things up at a loss, and grind our way to a win with a new look against every other contender that has a shot. Thats above my paygrade, but at least in the meantime we have a few new gamers that to some extent, will add what we have lacked in past playoff runs. There is also a new culture driver at the top (better or not tbd), which offers a glimmer of hope.

The first half of this era was a waste. We're no longer the golden child, we're in the trenches - fitting for hockey. Need to adjust expectations, explore unconventional ideas, and fight our way to the top in the second half.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If we’re dealing a 1st to Calgary, Hanifin better be coming back in the deal.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is pure conspiracy theory.

The deal is done but they want Klingberg to play in Sweden as a favor and Zadorov wants to avoid flying to Europe due to being Russian. Thus the deal is on hold.
However, with Klingberg LTIR, they are reworking the edges of the deal since Leafs got more cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad