Nikita Zadorov: The Almost Dynasty and The Future Travesty Part 1; The Squabble

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Just going to say it, I'm not a fan of how they conducted the rebuild. This is not a tanking thread by the way. I think some questionable moves have been made since they traded for Kane. I was completely on board with their plan, their stockpiling and their whole rebuild effort until this to be clear.

Let's recap:

Traded Myers and Stafford, Joel Armia, the 25th this year and Brendan Lemieux, for Kane, Bogosian.

Now on paper, it's an alright deal. I believe the biggest issue was the sacrificing of so many young prospects for Kane, while also dealing Myers. Myers is exactly what the Sabres SHOULD have kept over from their good teams. He's shown what he can do with good teams and how instrumental he can be to their success as evidenced by the 2009-2011 seasons in Buffalo and the short stint he had in Winnipeg after being traded. He would be exactly what the Sabres need down the road. I realize most fans will point to Ristolainen as their next savior, and that may very well be true, but wouldn't you rather have both?

Kane is a great young player, but has been very inconsistent in terms of injury and production. He could develop into an elite sniper, or he could top out as a second line winger. Either way, giving up a player like Myers and all of those prospects in this fashion does not signify a smart move for essentially one player. Bogosian is a nice add-on, but he is no Myers. A cornerstone defenseman who is 25 is a hell of a lot more important than what Kane brings.

Now to my next point:

Ryan O'Reilly, McGinn for Zadorov, Grigorenko, Compher, and the 31st this year.

Yet again, the Sabres sacrifice a developing Zadorov and many more young players for a proven commodity in ROR. Now I'm not saying ROR isn't great. He's a great talent. He just isn't what the Sabres should be going for at this stage. The amount they sacrificed to get him is particularly troubling when Eichel is supposed to be given to keys to the kingdom. If all of last year was for the effort to get Eichel to become young number one, all-star, team-building, saving grace center, would you trade for a number one center and sign him to a 7 year deal for 7.5 million dollars? He's a great player, for sure, but it makes no sense with the way the team WAS rebuilding. Coupled with the trading of Myers, the trading of Zadorov makes this also extremely hard to understand in my opinion. Sacrificed defense for a position that wasn't necessarily a need in the first place, along with three other great prospects. I'll get to all the draft picks in a second.

Lastly, Lehner and Legwand for the 21st overall.

I don't have as much of an issue with this trade as I do the others. Clearly the Sabres needed a goaltender. I believe however, since this was I think the first goalie deal, it was an extreme overpayment. Everyone probably said that at the time, and if it works out for them that's fantastic, but they sacrificed a third pick in the top 31 to do it. (Also I know the Sharks did a similar deal for a young goalie, but I also think the Sharks are in a different situation than the Sabres). It yet agains seems like a rush move to try and make a team happen next season instead of stocking the cupboards. Also interesting was that the Caps selected a goalie at #22 overall. The biggest problem was the amount of teams that needed a goalie all were more cautious with jumping the gun than the Buffalo Sabres. That to me just doesn't sit right. How many here would rather have Legwand and Lehner for the 21st than Talbot, Niemi, Khudobin, Jones, or Lack for the deals they got?

Overall the Sabres acquired:
Lehner
Legwand
Kane
Bogosian
McGinn
O'Reilly

They gave up:
Tyler Myers
Drew Stafford
Nikita Zadorov
Mikhail Grigorenko
JT Compher
Joel Armia
Brendan Lemieux
the 25th (selected as Jack Roslovic)
the 21st (selected as Colin White, but with a goalie selected at 22)
the 31st (selected as Jeremy Roy)

Their defense suffered immensely in the future because of these moves. Their next year's defensive roster could have looked like this on defense:

Zadorov-Myers
Gorges-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber
Roy

That top 4 certainly looks competitive. It looks downright impressive for the future with Zadorov, Ristolainen and Myers. Then all of the other up and coming players behind it also looks impressive. Pysyk, Roy, McCabe. Weber and Gorges could balance out that core with experienced albeit not very exciting play. It's a solid building block for the future.

Currently it's just a mess, and unless there are some serious FA signings, it's going to stay a mess.

Gorges-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Weber-Pysyk
Donovan

Ristolainen is now the number one defender, whether he likes it or not. Whether he can become one or not. In the other scenario, he developed behind Myers. Played second pairing minutes. Now he's playing first line minutes with a defensive partner of Josh Gorges, instead of second line minutes against second-third liners. Bogosian won't contribute any offense from that second pair, the third pair is a crapshoot. It's a mess.

I realize the importance of getting quality players like Kane and ROR, but they set their defense back a long while unless they attract a big name here or move more assets to cover up their own mistakes.

They also gave up the whole idea of trying to bring up young players when they traded away the farm for Kane and ROR. Grigorenko could be busting, he could bust out. Stafford, Lemieux, Compher, Armia, 21st, 25th, 31st in this year's draft is a hell of a price to pay besides Myers and Zadorov.

Overall, I realize they improved up front, but the acquisition of ROR AND Kane for the prices they gave up just doesn't sit right with me. They should have done one of those trades, and let Eichel have the keys to the kingdom. If he's as good as they say he is, he can handle the top line. If he does take over the top line, your second line center is being paid 7.5 million dollars and you gutted your D to do it. In my opinion, signing Niemi instead of Lehner, keeping Zadorov, Myers, Stafford and the multitude of prospects they gave up are worth more than ROR and Kane in the long term. They rushed it, and they did it at the wrong time without even knowing what they're getting from the prospects they have built up for the past three years. Without knowing what will happen with Eichel, without knowing whether Kane will be alright after his surgery, and without knowing what will happen up front without a serviceable defense.

Adding this because I feel it is appropriate:

You're the Chicago Blackhawks in the offseason of 2006-2007. You've got Kane and Toews coming up after you have essentially finished terribly. You've got a solid Duncan Keith, a solid Brent Seabrook, and Dustin Byfuglien kicking around.

Now Keith has been good, he's produced at 30 points this year but he put up only 2 goals. He's older at 23 than Toews and Kane coming in at 18 and 19. Seabrook regressed this year. He's 21 and put up 24 points in 81 games after putting up 31 in 69 the year before. He's got promise but that regression is scary.

But then you look at your forward depth and it is atrocious. You have Havlat who only played 18 games for Ottawa the year before, missed 30 games this season and somehow still led the team in scoring with 57. He's a great talent, but he's often injured. Then you've got a team full of second or third line players. Vrbata put up 41 points over the full season, Tuumo Ruutu has 38 points and he's your 4th highest scorer. Jeff Hamilton is third at 39 points. Smolinski is there with 37 points. All older, middling guys.

Your offensive depth is next to nothing after Marty Havlat. You have two great young talents coming in but you're unsure whether they're going to be able to produce with the players around them.

So do you sacrifice Byfuglien or Keith and Seabrook for a chance to get a more proven offense for Toews and Kane?

If you do that, you don't win three Stanley Cups within 8 years later.

Last edited:

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I don't even know where to begin. I stopped reading when you said an 18 year old Eichel should be the #1 center to start next year.

NHL Fanatik*

I dont like how they tanked their way to Eichel - teams have proven you can rebuild without requiring a losing culture, it is just sad that teams take that route.

Cant wait for the draft system to change even moreso.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I don't even know where to begin. I stopped reading when you said an 18 year old Eichel should be the #1 center to start next year.

You're right, because generational prospects shouldn't be given the chance to succeed. They should be put on worse lines with less ice time.

He's a generational player. Is an 18 year old McDavid getting the #1 center next year? You bet he is. Did Crosby and Ovechkin get 1st line minutes when they were drafted? Yup. Kane? Hall? RNH? Landeskog?

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Definitely poor asset management but they have improved since last season

Clearly a bottom 10 team. I see them landing in the 22-26 range.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just going to say it, I'm not a fan of how they conducted the rebuild. This is not a tanking thread by the way. I think some questionable moves have been made since they traded for Kane. I was completely on board with their plan, their stockpiling and their whole rebuild effort until this to be clear.

Let's recap:

Traded Myers and Stafford, Joel Armia, the 25th this year and Brendan Lemieux, for Kane, Bogosian.

Now on paper, it's an alright deal. I believe the biggest issue was the sacrificing of so many young prospects for Kane, while also dealing Myers. Myers is exactly what the Sabres SHOULD have kept over from their good teams. He's shown what he can do with good teams and how instrumental he can be to their success as evidenced by the 2009-2011 seasons in Buffalo and the short stint he had in Winnipeg after being traded. He would be exactly what the Sabres need down the road. I realize most fans will point to Ristolainen as their next savior, and that may very well be true, but wouldn't you rather have both?

Kane is a great young player, but has been very inconsistent in terms of injury and production. He could develop into an elite sniper, or he could top out as a second line winger. Either way, giving up a player like Myers and all of those prospects in this fashion does not signify a smart move for essentially one player. Bogosian is a nice add-on, but he is no Myers. A cornerstone defenseman who is 25 is a hell of a lot more important than what Kane brings.

Now to my next point:

Ryan O'Reilly, McGinn for Zadorov, Grigorenko, Compher, and the 31st this year.

Yet again, the Sabres sacrifice a developing Zadorov and many more young players for a proven commodity in ROR. Now I'm not saying ROR isn't great. He's a great talent. He just isn't what the Sabres should be going for at this stage. The amount they sacrificed to get him is particularly troubling when Eichel is supposed to be given to keys to the kingdom. If all of last year was for the effort to get Eichel to become young number one, all-star, team-building, saving grace center, would you trade for a number one center and sign him to a 7 year deal for 7.5 million dollars? He's a great player, for sure, but it makes no sense with the way the team WAS rebuilding. Coupled with the trading of Myers, the trading of Zadorov makes this also extremely hard to understand in my opinion. Sacrificed defense for a position that wasn't necessarily a need in the first place, along with three other great prospects. I'll get to all the draft picks in a second.

Lastly, Lehner and Legwand for the 21st overall.

I don't have as much of an issue with this trade as I do the others. Clearly the Sabres needed a goaltender. I believe however, since this was I think the first goalie deal, it was an extreme overpayment. Everyone probably said that at the time, and if it works out for them that's fantastic, but they sacrificed a third pick in the top 31 to do it. (Also I know the Sharks did a similar deal for a young goalie, but I also think the Sharks are in a different situation than the Sabres). It yet agains seems like a rush move to try and make a team happen next season instead of stocking the cupboards. Also interesting was that the Caps selected a goalie at #22 overall. The biggest problem was the amount of teams that needed a goalie all were more cautious with jumping the gun than the Buffalo Sabres. That to me just doesn't sit right. How many here would rather have Legwand and Lehner for the 21st than Talbot, Niemi, Khudobin, Jones, or Lack for the deals they got?

Lehner
Legwand
Kane
Bogosian
McGinn
O'Reilly

They gave up:
Tyler Myers
Drew Stafford
Nikita Zadorov
Mikhail Grigorenko
JT Compher
Joel Armia
Brendan Lemieux

Their defense suffered immensely in the future because of these moves. Their next year's defensive roster could have looked like this on defense:

Zadorov-Myers
Gorges-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber
Roy

That top 4 certainly looks competitive. It looks downright impressive for the future with Zadorov, Ristolainen and Myers. Then all of the other up and coming players behind it also looks impressive. Pysyk, Roy, McCabe. Weber and Gorges could balance out that core with experienced albeit not very exciting play. It's a solid building block for the future.

Currently it's just a mess, and unless there are some serious FA signings, it's going to stay a mess.

Gorges-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Weber-Pysyk
Donovan

Ristolainen is now the number one defender, whether he likes it or not. Whether he can become one or not. In the other scenario, he developed behind Myers. Played second pairing minutes. Now he's playing first line minutes with a defensive partner of Josh Gorges, instead of second line minutes against second-third liners. Bogosian won't contribute any offense from that second pair, the third pair is a crapshoot. It's a mess.

I realize the importance of getting quality players like Kane and ROR, but they set their defense back a long while unless they attract a big name here or move more assets to cover up their own mistakes.

They also gave up the whole idea of trying to bring up young players when they traded away the farm for Kane and ROR. Grigorenko could be busting, he could bust out. Stafford, Lemieux, Compher, Armia, 21st, 25th, 31st in this year's draft is a hell of a price to pay besides Myers and Zadorov.

Overall, I realize they improved up front, but the acquisition of ROR AND Kane for the prices they gave up just doesn't sit right with me. They should have done one of those trades, and let Eichel have the keys to the kingdom. If he's as good as they say he is, he can handle the top line. If he does take over the top line, your second line center is being paid 7.5 million dollars and you gutted your D to do it. In my opinion, signing Niemi instead of Lehner, keeping Zadorov, Myers, Stafford and the multitude of prospects they gave up are worth more than ROR and Kane in the long term. They rushed it, and they did it at the wrong time without even knowing what they're getting from the prospects they have built up for the past three years. Without knowing what will happen with Eichel, without knowing whether Kane will be alright after his surgery, and without knowing what will happen up front without a serviceable defense.

I actually agree with you here. They have not excercised great asset management in the least. Hell, they probably should have just kept Michal Neuvirth instead of trading him to the Islanders for Chad Johnson and a 3rd round pick. He had a .918 save percentage in 27 games. I would be surprised if Lehner plays as well. Then they wouldn't have had to trade a 1st round pick for Lehner. Murray was worried he was playing TOO WELL and was putting his tank plans at risk.

They could have kept that 1st round pick and drafted Ilya Samsonov, who has All-Star potential, then went after a UFA like Niemi or Neuvirth to be their stop-gap starting goalie.

It seems like Murray doesn't put a lot of thought into his moves and is very impulsive.

fiend540

Sep 9, 2011
The concern from other teams fans about the state of the Sabres rebuild is just heartwarming.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

You act as if Bogosian is chopped liver. I would view Myers for Bogosian as a slight downgrade so the lose is not as big as you think

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
You're right, because generational prospects shouldn't be given the chance to succeed. They should be put on worse lines with less ice time.

He's a generational player. Is an 18 year old McDavid getting the #1 center next year? You bet he is. Did Crosby and Ovechkin get 1st line minutes when they were drafted? Yup. Kane? Hall? RNH? Landeskog?

He's going to get sheltered with O'Reilly doing the heavy lifting. Easier matchups for an 18 year old Eichel.

How is Eichel not getting a chance to succeed?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I never really thought about this as a whole. While I don't fully agree, you do bring up some interesting points.

For me the ROR trade is fine and I think the only tough loss will be Zadorov, but you have to give to get. I really like ROR as a player and what he brings, I just don't understand his contract entitlements. If the cap goes up itl be fine, but if it kind of stays where it is, in 5 years I'd assume Eichel will be making the same money, it may make things difficult cap-wise, but again, if these two live up to potential, it won't matter. Have to wonder if Reinhart are Girgensons are dealt down the road, what a nice "problem" to have though. Amazing centre depth.

The Lehner trade is questionable but I think they were able to get away with it, especially if he turns out to be the guy they hope.

The Kane deal is always tough to judge cause there are so many moving parts, but if you take out the parts and just look at Kane, I've never really been a fan. The potential has always been there but I find that he has never brought to the next level. Couple that with some off-ice issues, to me he doesn't belong as your top winger.

I think down the road if Eichel and Ristolainen make the impact they are expected to while the other pieces play their part, they will be fine and do a lot of damage. There are a lot of what if's but that is usually the case anyways.

Last edited:

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I actually totally agree with the OP. Definitely could have handled things better imho.

Yes we should have kept all of our prospects and prayed they developed instead of aquiring impact players such as Evander Kane and O'Reilly to help develop our core players (Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Girgensons)

And I'll never defend the Robin Lehner trade.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

@Bolded. Yeah b/c that's what he said.

I believe(and EDM fans can correct me) that MacLellan already said McDavid would be the 2C behind RNH. That's exactly what should be done and what will be done with Eichel. 2C behind ROR.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I like what the Sabres have done bringing in Kane and Bogosian. Not entirely sold on Lehner though, but they have the potential to surprise next season in the east.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How do they line-up next season? They are have on Centers. I'm assuming Ennis and Legwand will play RW?

Kane-O'Reilly-Ennis
Moulson-Eichel-Gionta
McGinn-Girgensons-Legwand
Foligno-McCormick-D'Amigo

Still probably a bottom 10 team, especially considering their defense.

If Reinhart makes the team, what do they do with this Center situation? Move O'Reilly to wing? Trade Girgensons?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I like that they accelerated the rebuild by making trades, but I feel like Murray over paid for players he has some obsession over instead of looking for bargains. Myers would absolutely help their team next year, so he was an unnecessary casualty. Zadarov was moved, IMO, due to off ice issues (attitude, etc.), yet they bent over backwards to pick up Kane. The Kane trade was reasonable value but given the Jets situation, I think Buffalo could have gotten him for less.

The Lehner trade is just pure nonsense IMO. Terrible deal and obvious at the time. There were more proven goalies traded for less immediately after.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like that they accelerated the rebuild by making trades, but I feel like Murray over paid for players he has some obsession over instead of looking for bargains. Myers would absolutely help their team next year, so he was an unnecessary casualty. Zadarov was moved, IMO, due to off ice issues (attitude, etc.), yet they bent over backwards to pick up Kane. The Kane trade was reasonable value but given the Jets situation, I think Buffalo could have gotten him for less.

The Lehner trade is just pure nonsense IMO. Terrible deal and obvious at the time. There were more proven goalies traded for less immediately after.

Absolutely. No justifying that deal. Sign a UFA and draft Samsonov. That would have been the right move.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
They've managed their assets nicely if anything IMO.

In the Kane/Bogo trade, they got a top-4 defenceman who can replace Myers who can still become a top pairing and a top line winger for their top-4 defenceman.

In the ROR trade, again, they're getting a top line player who's very versatile and doesn't take any dumb penalties — or penalties in general for that matter. Great two-way player as well.

Lehner still has a lot of potential. Could become amongst the best goalies in the game. Goalies also take longer to develop.

Zadorov wouldn't be playing top pairing minutes if he was still in BUF. I'm sorry but that's just ********. Ristolainen played as their #1 towards the end of the season and didn't crumble under the pressure, but rather, shined in the spotlight.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Being a Sabres fan that watches all the games, I am extremely grateful that Murray made these changes and didn't sit pat like OP wanted him to do.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Lehner
Legwand
Kane
Bogosian
McGinn
O'Reilly

They gave up:
Tyler Myers
Drew Stafford
Nikita Zadorov
Mikhail Grigorenko
JT Compher
Joel Armia
Brendan Lemieux
As a Sabres fan, losing Myers and Zadorov hurts more than anything. We had a real position of strength on the backend, which was refreshing to see given teams like the Oilers who stockpiled young forward talent and haven't gotten anywhere with it.

They being said, in the same vein that you might make a case against the players we've picked up (Kane's injuries and attitude, ROR's contract, Bogosian being "no Myers", Lehner being expensive and unproven)... you can make the same cases for the players we gave up. Grigorenko has been underwhelming at best in the pro's for a former highly touted 1st round pick, development bungling aside. Not to mention the rumors of KHL threats. Same with Armia, who was looking as though he couldn't even cut it in the AHL for a while there. Rumors of Lemieux being difficult to sign, not wanting to be in Buffalo, and general attitude/entitlement issues with where he went in the draft. Stafford being one of the most obvious contract-year players I've ever seen in my life throughout his career. Compher, I really can't say anything about, but to me he always seemed to be projected as a slightly-better-than dime a dozen bottom 6 energy guy. And I dunno... the picks are picks. Flipping them for proven (and most importantly, young) NHL level talent seems worth it for a team on the better end of a rebuild.

But yeah... we traded defense for offense and even as a Sabres fan, I don't like some aspects of that. It does comfort me to know that we have a ridiculously solid two-way forward group though, from top to bottom. And there are definitely still pieces on the backend worth talking about with Risto, Bogosian and Pysyk. Just not nearly enough beyond that.

Last edited:

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
How do they line-up next season? They are have on Centers. I'm assuming Ennis and Legwand will play RW?

Kane-O'Reilly-Ennis
Moulson-Eichel-Gionta
McGinn-Girgensons-Legwand
Foligno-McCormick-D'Amigo

Still probably a bottom 10 team, especially considering their defense.

If Reinhart makes the team, what do they do with this Center situation? Move O'Reilly to wing? Trade Girgensons?

Kane - O'Reilly - Eichel
Moulson - Larsson - Ennis
McGinn - Girgensons - Reinhart
Foligno - Legwand - Gionta
Deslauriers

I'd like to see this to start the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad