Prospect Info: Nikita Tryamkin | VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
From what I've heard..Trymkin had no problems with Willie (other than he wished he had more ice time), he did not like Doug Lidster (Canucks D coach at the time).
Maybe it was was lidster who wanted Tree to play more like Pronger?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Of course as I recall, some of his d-partners that year included the likes of Barkowski, Larsen, Gudbranson and Weber (as in Yannick).

If that wasn't enough to drive you back into the arms of 'Mother Russia' nothing would.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So I want him back.

Give him a 5 yr $2.5m 2 way contract. $.8M for the minors.

That way the Canucks can bury his contract if they don't think he is worth the money. Or he can run back to Russia. Or if he isn't up to snuff, send to the minors where he doesn't cost cap room, but makes more than he would in Russia. And we don't have to bid for him if he he produces. and at 29 if he is still here, he can cash in for whatever he can get from whoever he wants.

And if he does prove to be worth the money, we have him for EP and Hughes best years. And if not, they waive him and see if anyone wants him. I don't see how we can lose. If all of our FA signings are worth ... on average for sub par D men, and 4th line forwards, say $3M a year, this is one hell of a deal.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So I want him back.

That way the Canucks can bury his contract if they don't think he is worth the money. Or he can run back to Russia. Or if he isn't up to snuff, send to the minors where he doesn't cost cap room, but makes more than he would in Russia. And we don't have to bid for him if he he produces. and at 29 if he is still here, he can cash in for whatever he can get from whoever he wants.

And if he does prove to be worth the money, we have him for EP and Hughes best years. And if not, they waive him and see if anyone wants him. I don't see how we can lose. If all of our FA signings are worth ... on average for sub par D men, and 4th line forwards, say $3M a year, this is one hell of a deal.
Guaranteed a two way contract is a total non starter with Tryamkin and his agent..

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So I want him back.

Doesn't work that way. His cap hit is 2.5MM regardless of being on the NHL or AHL roster. You can bury up to 1.075MM, so you would have 1.425MM of dead cap space in this situation.

I don't think I've ever seen more than a two year tw0-way deal offered in cap era (outside mandatory ELCs), and they are almost exclusively for 13th forward/7th D types making around league minimum at the NHL level.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
$1.5m by 1 (or even 2) would be a worthwhile risk, I think.

$2m is too much - which makes me think it's more likely that's what occurs.
He's a worthy risk to give him 2 million x 2 years. Period, but that's it, no more.

The bottom line is he wants to return and we desperately need a player with his qualifications. I believe he would fit right in with the current crop of Dmen and....wait for it...actually improve the D that Benning has struggled with so hard with over the years.

Trams holds all the cards here don't forget. He can easily sign another 1 year covid contract in the KHL, then become a FA and go to any NHL team he desires.

This is a very sticky situation Benning has got himself into and I'm very interested how this finally plays out.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
He's a worthy risk to give him 2 million x 2 years. Period, but that's it, no more.

The bottom line is he wants to return and we desperately need a player with his qualifications. I believe he would fit right in with the current crop of Dmen and....wait for it...actually improve the D that Benning has struggled with so hard with over the years.

Trams holds all the cards here don't forget. He can easily sign another 1 year covid contract in the KHL, then become a FA and go to any NHL team he desires.

This is a very sticky situation Benning has got himself into and I'm very interested how this finally plays out.
Don't forget Benning gave 4 mil a season to Gudbranson, 3.6 mil to Sbisa and 2.4 to Stecher all were found not worthy.
Give him a bonus laden contract that way those who think he was horrible last time he was here are happy the deal is very much and those that know are satisfied because he will far exceed the bonus triggers.
Because of such bad player management with this player his next contract leads him to FA and Boston has coveted him. As a matter of interest most GM's have commented that it is hard to find the combination of his skating skills and size.
He will become a fan favourite after the first two hits. Those idiots screaming for him to be gone will be drowned out, those are the same folks that are cheering the Eriksson deal still.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Frankly it should be a 1x1 show me deal but since we've set the bar for plug bottom pairing dmen at 2ish with Benn tough to argue for less
One year bring some Tree to UFA status. If we sign him, we need to get at least one of those UFA years. I’m thinking the Benn contract goes to TRee. 2x2.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm really on the fence on this one..Button can be a blowhard, but he's definitely got a point..You're talking about committing to a guy who is not going to be better than Edler, Myers, Hughes, Hamonic or Schmidt...Also, there are going to be bargains floating around post season from cash strapped teams......(just like last season)

On the other hand, I would like to see Tryamkin play for the Canucks again ...So.its actually a tough call, I wonder what Bennings opinion is on Tryamkin.?

Last edited:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Tryamkin is primarily a RD, even though hes leftie and can play both sides. Wouldn't get in the way too much

That'd mean the Canucks would run a D-core of 5 LHS with Myers being the only RHS? Doubt Green or whoever the new coach is would do that.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This is an interesting situation. A bit of a gamble but probably a good one

Sounds like he's in shape and good to go. It might make some sense to lock him up for 3yrs if we can keep it at or below 2 mill.

If he plays above his paygrade with his size and strength that could end up being an extremely valuable commodity for us. No one is going to want to face him in a 7 game series that's for sure.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's a tough decision because you have to choose 2 of Hamonic Edler and Tryamkin probably.

While the easy decision is to go younger the hard part is if he replaces one of those guys he immediately will be relied upon to be effective in a very important role and that's just on the ice.

Off the ice is still a question mark and how much money do these guys all want has to factor in also.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's a tough decision because you have to choose 2 of Hamonic Edler and Tryamkin probably.

While the easy decision is to go younger the hard part is if he replaces one of those guys he immediately will be relied upon to be effective in a very important role and that's just on the ice.

Off the ice is still a question mark and how much money do these guys all want is an important factor
Thats the question..How much is Edler going to want.?.and how much is Hamonic going to want (last season he was a 20+ minutes a game RHD making $4.7M....He will want around $3M..imo)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's the point of debating how much Tryamkin should be earning?

I mean at this point, is Myers worth $6m a season? At this point in his career is Edler worth $6m a season? Was Benn worth $2m a season? With the year he's had is Schmidt worth $6m a season? Looking back, was Gudbranson worth $4m a season?

Benning will probably overpay slightly for Tryamkin, if he comes. But it might be only $500,000-$1m a season. Given the number of albatross contracts on this team, you could certainly live with that.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

I mean at this point, is Myers worth $6m a season? At this point in his career is Edler worth $6m a season? Was Benn worth $2m a season? With the year he's had is Schmidt worth $6m a season? Looking back, was Gudbranson worth $4m a season?

Benning will probably overpay slightly for Tryamkin, if he comes. But it might be only $500,000-$1m a season. Given the number of albatross contracts on this team, you could certainly live with that.

I'm in favour of Tryamkin coming back at the right price, but the Canucks don't have room for any more albatross contracts. Pettersson and Hughes need big new contracts along with the one Demko already signed. Take a few minutes to play around with the numbers on Capfriendly if you don't believe me.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

the point is if Edler wants 2 yrs at 4 million then
if Hamonic wants a NMC and at least 2 yrs and 3 million then
if Tryamkin wants a 1yr deal at 2.25 to take him to free agency so he can walk then.

it matters because you lock up a spot in the top6 of your defense and how does what you do this off season effect the one where we have cap space

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I've seen too many clips of Tryamkin making bad decisions when retrieving dump-ins. I don't have the link but someone put together a "highlight" package a while back that illustrated this issue. Can anyone who has watched his play this year confirm this is no longer a major weakness in his game?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've seen too many clips of Tryamkin making bad decisions when retrieving dump-ins. I don't have the link but someone put together a "highlight" package a while back that illustrated this issue. Can anyone who has watched his play this year confirm this is no longer a major weakness in his game?
If you want to see a clips of defensemen making" bad decisions when retrieving dump-ins', you only have to put the current Canuck defense on a 'continuous loop'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad