Prospect Info: Nikita Tryamkin | VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I would also note that Willie is known as a player's coach. He isn't an ass like Prust.

"Passion is subjective." When Torts was here he didn't even bother to live in the same country as his players.

Not a Torts fan but that is a stupid reason to dislike him. Point Roberts is basically the suburbs of Vancouver so it wasn't like he was hundreds of miles away and he DID have that Murphy bed installed...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not a Torts fan but that is a stupid reason to dislike him. Point Roberts is basically the suburbs of Vancouver so it wasn't like he was hundreds of miles away and he DID have that Murphy bed installed...

You know who else had a bed installed in his office? George Costanza.

Umm... there were multiple reports of Torts being very much an absentee coach who spent as little time in Vancouver as possible. Canuck players reportedly felt that the team weren't practicing enough. Torts didn't want to be at practice. I wouldn't too if I was living in Point Roberts and having to make the commute to Rogers Arena.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I thought this thread was about Tryamkin.....but if people are still bent out of shape about Torts living in Point Roberts, they should also be calling out Mark Messier who lived south of Blaine while he played for the Canucks.

The reasoning is pretty simple for U.S. citizens or U.S. residents. If you spend only a limited number of days in Canada, you're subject to U.S. tax laws instead of Canadian, even if it's a Canadian NHL team paying your salary.

So I'm sure Torts and his accountant had it down to a matter of days, tallying up road-trips within Canada and the few hours he crossed the border for practices and games at Rogers Arena. And the tax savings on a big contract would be substantial.

But I doubt Tryamkin would ever take up residence in Point Roberts, Blaine or Birch Bay. A big Russian crossing the border every day would raise the paranoia meter for the border types.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think tryamkin could qualify for us residency based on playing pro hockey for a canadian team. i don't doubt that like a lot of russians he'd like to get on a us team so he could do so.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I thought this thread was about Tryamkin.....but if people are still bent out of shape about Torts living in Point Roberts, they should also be calling out Mark Messier who lived south of Blaine while he played for the Canucks.

The reasoning is pretty simple for U.S. citizens or U.S. residents. If you spend only a limited number of days in Canada, you're subject to U.S. tax laws instead of Canadian, even if it's a Canadian NHL team paying your salary.

So I'm sure Torts and his accountant had it down to a matter of days, tallying up road-trips within Canada and the few hours he crossed the border for practices and games at Rogers Arena. And the tax savings on a big contract would be substantial.

But I doubt Tryamkin would ever take up residence in Point Roberts, Blaine or Birch Bay. A big Russian crossing the border every day would raise the paranoia meter for the border types.
Other reason to dislike Messier. Thanks it was just starting to fade. Tax avoidance for a player making 6 m a year American 20 years ago. Why sign here or come here if you do not want to live here?

Reactions: I am toxic

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Other reason to dislike Messier. Thanks it was just starting to fade. Tax avoidance for a player making 6 m a year American 20 years ago. Why sign here or come here if you do not want to live here?
Your taxed on where you play.

Mogilny i believe also lived in Pt Roberts.

Yes i'm not really a fan of hired guns that live outside the lower mainland either. Want players that are willing to be active in the community

Reactions: I am toxic

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yeah, sorry, taxes are not just based on where you live. Where you get paid always collects a share of the tax revenue. You can't work in vancouver, and live in the US and not pay Canadian taxes.

Just like the fact that I have to pay tax on my US retirement in the US and then pay canada as well. My wife was a teacher in California for 28 years, believe me Calif and the US government both take their share before we get our check. And then Canada takes some more.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
And I can't believe people are talking about how Tryamkin played when he was here. He was okay. and at that time he was 22. He is now 26. He is not a borderline NHLer he is a legit NHL d man, and probably a 3 - 4 guy. So many were butt hurt when he made an intelligent decision and went back to the KHL.

The ELC are not exactly fair to young players. The NHLPA sold out the younger stars to ensure the older players would make out well.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
And I can't believe people are talking about how Tryamkin played when he was here. He was okay. and at that time he was 22. He is now 26. He is not a borderline NHLer he is a legit NHL d man, and probably a 3 - 4 guy. So many were butt hurt when he made an intelligent decision and went back to the KHL.

The ELC are not exactly fair to young players. The NHLPA sold out the younger stars to ensure the older players would make out well.
Thats BS Bill he should have been patient in shape and put himself in an area where he could enjoy the city and he would be making the big bucks probably in a shut down role. The ELCs rules are the same for everyone

While i agree he will be a solid player for us he doesn't need excuses for his decision to go back home. In terms of earnings it was stupid

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thats BS Bill he should have been patient in shape and put himself in an area where he could enjoy the city and he would be making the big bucks probably in a shut down role. The ELCs rules are the same for everyone

While i agree he will be a solid player for us he doesn't need excuses for his decision to go back home. In terms of earnings it was stupid
Very young and pregnant wife probably had a lot to do with ?Tree going back home to play too.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Money isn't everything. He decided that overall it was better to go back to Russia. I suspect when he went back he made a little less than he would have on an ELC, but not much less. Lower taxes and he probably got a decent salary compared to some of the KHL guys.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Money isn't everything. He decided that overall it was better to go back to Russia. I suspect when he went back he made a little less than he would have on an ELC, but not much less. Lower taxes and he probably got a decent salary compared to some of the KHL guys.

Over these next 5 years Tryamkin has the ability to set himself up financially for life, he owes it to his family to take a stab at it. So I mean, it isn’t all about the money, but this is definitely a key stretch that could help define the rest of his life and his family’s lives, so it shouldn’t be downplayed.

If he takes a 2 year deal at 1.5 mil, then earns a 3 year deal at 4mil, then he can go back to Russia with great security and play out his final days in the KHL.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I definitely think that when Tryamkin was last in Vancouver, he played more like a #5 D than a bubble guy (2 mil for that for a couple of years is not entirely unreasonable given the situation, IMO). Short sample size though, and whether he's improved or regressed from that since then, I have no idea.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
And that's totally fair. He did what was right for Nikita and his wife and family at the time. Winters here are tough. Gloomy rain and obviously he was choked about his neighbors (pot smoke). Language barrier, support base etc

Lets hope he's worth the wait. I think he will be

Reactions: ChilliBilly

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
He has to be exposed in the expansion draft, correct? Any chance he'd get selected? Seattle could do worse than picking up a 26 year old RFA that has top 4 potential.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
He has to be exposed in the expansion draft, correct? Any chance he'd get selected? Seattle could do worse than picking up a 26 year old RFA that has top 4 potential.
I don't think he can be taken. He isn't under contract. Not sure how that works, or if Seattle wants to a flyer at someone without a contract. I mean, if they are able to take him, he can claim that they need to pay him like a number 4 D man, and probably get 3 x $3.5M or something like that.

Reactions: iceburg

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
And that's totally fair. He did what was right for Nikita and his wife and family at the time. Winters here are tough. Gloomy rain and obviously he was choked about his neighbors (pot smoke). Language barrier, support base etc

Lets hope he's worth the wait. I think he will be
I think so too. And the timing will be good. I think Tryamkin would have been a valuable addition to the team, but us being slightly better through the hellish years might have cost us Hughes etc.

We now have a decent core, with EP, Hughes, Demko, Horvat, Miller and Boeser. Decent pieces (though overpriced) in Myers, Pearson and Schmidt. Add in Hoglander, Podkolzin and Tryamkin and we should be a damn good team for 4 or 5 years. I am not a Green fan, and think JB has been poor. Absolutely no concept of the idea of maintaining cap space. He has spent to the limit just to make us barely competitive. Dumb.

I think we are in great shape, but a new GM and coach are probably key at this point. EDIT - (and a new owner, but that is a pipe dream methinks.)

Reactions: sting101

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Welp. That's that, I guess. Would have been interesting to see how far his game had progressed, but there will be other options in free agency due to the flat cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad