Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Once he is back, I would go with these lines:
Drouin - Domi - Scherbak
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Shaw
Hudon - Peca - Deslaurier

If Shaw plays well next game, then keep him with Drouin and put Scherbak with KK

I'd honestly be happy to see scherbak on any of the following lines:

Drouin Domi Scherbak

Lhekonen KK Scherbak

Hudon Peca Scherbak

As long as he's playing with at least 1 offensively gifted player, he has a shot at producing. His biggest area of weakness is his non-offensive game. But even with regard to his offensive game, he's not ready to carry 2 plugs. He can, however play well with other offensive players, as we saw him do in his brief stints with Galchenyuk last year. I think he'd do well playing with Domi, KK, or Hudon.

Reactions: yianik

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Sherbak can play when he shows he has a pulse, there is no rush to play him at all.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
We're running Shaw and Hudon on the Domi line. What's their to lose putting Scherbak there.

I agree. The Hudon experiment hasn't been very conclusive, unfortunately, and there's not much to gain from using Shaw there. Best case scenario, he'll be a capable third wheel.

We know Scherbak has the skills to play with those guys. Give him a legit chance to make it work and go from there. If it works, maybe you've found yourself a skilled top 6 winger with size. If it doesn't, then we can move on knowing we gave him a chance.

I keep coming back to the Kapanen situation in Toronto when I talk of Scherbak with the Habs. He was in a very similar situation prior to the season. The Nylander contract dispute allowed him to get some quality ice-time with Matthews, and ever since he went from a marginal asset to promising young forward... Before discarding a guy like Scherbak, I'd appreciate if we made damn sure whether he can contribute at the NHL level or not.

Reactions: Mrb1p

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Assuming current injuries I can see:

Drouin - Domi - Hudon
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Kotkaniemi - Scherbak
Deslauriers - Peca - Shaw

Byron/Armia injured.
Agostino back to the AHL or healthy scratch.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
"Scherbak can play when he shows a heartbeat", where is this coming from??

He looked engaged last season, and this board really liked what they saw. It was mostly positive reviews here.

After a couple preseason games and after not having played for a month, he's now a lazy player?
Seems like people are just labeling him as the typical lazy, uninterested and bad defensively russian player because they havent see him play in a while.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Jul 6, 2016
"Scherbak can play when he shows a heartbeat", where is this coming from??

He looked engaged last season, and this board really liked what they saw. It was mostly positive reviews here.

After a couple preseason games and after not having played for a month, he's now a lazy player?
Seems like people are just labeling him as the typical lazy, uninterested and bad defensively russian player because they havent see him play in a while.

"Heart beat " also means showing that you really, really want it. The guy showed nothing at the Camp to get a regular job. A bit of poise and passion would had helped.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
"Heart beat " also means showing that you really, really want it. The guy showed nothing at the Camp to get a regular job. A bit of poise and passion would had helped.

I don't see why the few games he played in camp would matter more over what he did in the nhl last season. He didn't look good at camp 1 year ago either and people were considering him a bust, but he ended up dominating the ahl and playing well in the nhl.

Despite a bad camp, he still had 2 goals in 5 games.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't see why the few games he played in camp would matter more over what he did in the nhl last season. He didn't look good at camp 1 year ago either and people were considering him a bust, but he ended up dominating the ahl and playing well in the nhl.

Despite a bad camp, he still had 2 goals in 5 games.

Dominating the AHL... Are you kidding ?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Hudon is not a top 6 player. Scherbak deserves a look.

If Hudon can put a few pucks in Kotkaniemi's wheelhouse that would be a bonus.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Even Daniel Carr is doing as well in the AHL.....

Carr did well in the ahl at 24+ years old, and Scherbak did even better at 21-22 yo?
Scherbak was top 5 in ppg in the ahl last year.

and I don't see the point of this comparison. Not every player who dominate the ahl becomes a good player in the nhl, but its a pretty good sign if they do.

Jul 6, 2016
Carr did well in the ahl at 24+ years old, and Scherbak did even better at 21-22 yo?
Scherbak was top 5 in ppg in the ahl last year.

and I don't see the point of this comparison. Not every player who dominate the ahl becomes a good player in the nhl, but its a pretty good sign if they do.

Some players are piling points in the AHL every year but are unable to make the step to the NHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even Daniel Carr is doing as well in the AHL.....

Daniel Carr should be in the NHL. I wouldn't go by Vegas personnel decisions - you're talking about a management group that traded Suzuki, Tatar and a 2nd for Pacioretty and is now out of the playoffs.

Jul 6, 2016
Daniel Carr should be in the NHL. I wouldn't go by Vegas personnel decisions - you're talking about a management group that traded Suzuki, Tatar and a 2nd for Pacioretty and is now out of the playoffs.

According to this site, the VG's management and coaching staff was the best invention since sliced bread.

What are you even arguing? That's it's somehow a bad thing he put up points in the AHL?

No. But it doesn't mean he can be a full time NHL player, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Some players are piling points in the AHL every year but are unable to make the step to the NHL.

and some are piling points in the ahl and make it to the nhl. Your point?
I'm sure if Scherbak struggled in the ahl last season, it would be your main argument as to why he wouldn't become an nhl player.

Jul 6, 2016
Right. I don't think I've seen anyone claim he was a guaranteed top 6 winger because he could put up points in the AHL.

So again, why are you arguing that point? Sounds disingenuous.

Read the other posts. I was answering to them.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Hudon is not a top 6 player. Scherbak deserves a look.

If Hudon can put a few pucks in Kotkaniemi's wheelhouse that would be a bonus.
problem with Hudon is his skill set is suited to top 6 but he's not good enough to play there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah... and what did Hudon show at training camp? Alzner? Schlemko? Ouellet? Peca? Shaw? Armia? Dlo?

This team is filled up to the lid with AHL player, why not give Scherback a chance? There is literally nothing to lose

Zero puck retrieval ability? Destroying a productive duo by playing them with someone who doesn't compliment them in any way whatsoever?
I agree with this, I think he may be a bad fit one that line, luckily, Kotkaniemi needs talented wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad