Speculation: Nikita Kucherov's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
You just made my point for me: one of those "defensive first forwards" as you called them has matched Stammer's offensive production in the playoffs while being a far superior defensive player, is signed to barely half of what Stamkos is going to make, and yet we are likely to lose him precisely because we signed Stamkos to that ridiculous contract. I'm sorry but for $8.5M a player shouldn't produce in the games that matter most at the same rate as a "defensive first forward" or require high end talent feeding him the puck to be effective - he should be capable of taking over games on his own and elevating the play of his linemates rather than requiring them to elevate his.

So much wrong ... using things like "far superior defensive player" let me clue you in - its not 2009-2013 anymore. Using the contract of a player who has never scored above 41 points in a season as a comparable and not understanding the role that Stamkos plays on this team is really why I can't take you seriously man.

Your only argument ... and it seems the only one that can actually hold water is the "elevate the play of his linemates" line. Let me clue you in ... Yzerman specifically drafted Drouin to feed Stamkos pucks - its called the Yzerplan. We will pay Stamkos $8.5M to put pucks in the back of the net. How does Stamkos put pucks in the back of the net? by playing with a playmaker that can match his speed. I really could care less about his passing ability - we are not paying him $8.5M to be Crosby. We are paying him $8.5M to be himself, put pucks in the back of the net, and lead this franchise.

The only other player that is better than Stamkos at putting pucks in the net is Ovechkin and he has a $9.5M cap hit and that was signed like 10 years ago ... and compare his line mates to the ones Stamkos has been playing with. You are out in left field here and you keep pushing the same agenda non-stop. I usually just let it go 'cause its just a circular argument with you but I finally couldn't resist. And i'm not going to use your designated trademark emote as much as I'd like to.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
"As an organization, we're trying to give ourselves as much flexibility as possible in who we keep and what is going to give us the best opportunity to field the best team we can Thursday night," Cooper said. "And sometimes, finances come into play in that. In a salary cap era, that's what you're going to get. We're not the only team doing this type of thing. Just because players on waivers doesn't necessarily mean.. that could mean a bunch of things. It's all about flexibility and the future of us moving forward and some of those things have to be done."
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/condra-conacher-vermin-put-on-waivers/2297376

What do you read between the lines? He stopped himself about the waivers, maybe not all going down. There is more to this.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
On Stamkos, we'll see how he does this year. The one benefit of the doubt he gets is that he hasn't consistently played with offensive-minded players, and has put up decent numbers even while playing, let's say, "inconsistently." It's going to be hard for Cooper to conjure up a way to not play Stamkos with playmakers this season. So, if he returns to form, those of us who criticized him can happily eat some crow. If he doesn't, we can hope he's not actually regressing, but "is what he is," which is still a good point producer and excellent face of the franchise, even if he's no longer an elite player.

I think THIS is Stammer's breakout year with Drouin playing with him. With two solid lines rolling and our 3/4 lines getting better, I think we score more goals this year than the last two seasons.

Kuch is key to this and before too long, someone will need a goalie. The question then is if Bishop is Bishing do we risk trading him or Vasy. Gonna be a long season.....

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think THIS is Stammer's breakout year with Drouin playing with him. With two solid lines rolling and our 3/4 lines getting better, I think we score more goals this year than the last two seasons.

Kuch is key to this and before too long, someone will need a goalie. The question then is if Bishop is Bishing do we risk trading him or Vasy. Gonna be a long season.....

There's also a lot of reason for optimism around the PP. Which could help not only the team, but Stamkos as an individual.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think this helps our cause a lot. Pretty much everyone is expecting Gaudreau to break into the NHL's top scorers this year, and maybe challenge for the Art Ross.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
with Johnny Hockey being signed for 6.75 could Kucherov get maybe 7 years @7 mil per???

The opposite. 6.75 is the new ceiling.

But Kucherov is probably going to wind up taking home more actual dollars than Gaudreau, given the tax situation.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
We appear to be getting everyone back for at least one more year mainly due to Yzerman magic. Great news! but then reality will set in that we are going to lose a few guys that everyone would like to keep after this season. But after seeing Point we will surely have at least one guy who can step in.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
While im happy a deal will likely get done, it's disappointing that we were probably 500K of capspace away from a 6 or 7 year deal instead of a bridge.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Glad to finally get some news and it's good news. Hopefully he'll be signed by tomorrow.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He is probably going to get around 5.5 fo 2 or 3 years.

Three year deal most likely Lebrun said! Perfect in year 4 he will be a Rfa gives yzerman more time to get guys off the books by thenMore then likely yzerman extends him in year 3 for 8 years nice move Stevie y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad