Speculation: Nikita Kucherov's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
If that's the deal...

Every other team should just quit. Yzerman clearly has an unfair advantage.

It'd speak rather highly of the area and environment created, thats for sure.

Not to mention, would you leave 300k on the table if you're already settled into an area, happy, and playing for a great team?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It'd speak rather highly of the area and environment created, thats for sure.

Not to mention, would you leave 300k on the table if you're already settled into an area, happy, and playing for a great team?

It was really starting to feel like the number was a whole lot higher than even 6.2 though, with the way the negotiation dragged out. Hell, I'd be ecstatic at 6.2, very happy at 6.5...

5.9? That feels like a pipe dream come true. I really hope there's something to this. Not to mention SIX YEARS!?!?! We should have a party if this happens.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Bridge Deal Incoming for Kucherov...

dl19_t1.gif

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If Yzerman pulls that off I will happily cook up a nice batch of crow for dinner tonight. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

Its yzerman would not surprise me a Russian reporter said people will be surprised by the contract

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
BP just said Kucherov makes the 12th forward...

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Johnson-Drouin
Point-Namestnikov-Filppula
Brown-Boyle-Paquette

...Am I missing someone? Is somebody coming back up until Callahan gets back? Or are we prepping for some kind of move?

Just because we waived all 3 of Condra, Conacher and Vermin doesn't mean they're all going to Syracuse. Vermin I see going and Conacher most likely too, I see Condra being kept with the team though as the 13th forward. If we need to play him we have to recall him and lose the capspace but we get the relief for 30 days without having to put Callahan on LTIR because he has to miss 10 games if he is and they might think he's closer than that to being back.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Its yzerman would not surprise me a Russian reporter said people will be surprised by the contract

Well $5.9M x 6 would certainly qualify as surprising!

I still think $8.5M to Stamkos was a bad move, but if Yzerman can actually get Kuch signed for six years at under $6M it'll go a long way toward making up for that. Not only for getting Kuch that cheaply but for what it'll do to Johnson's and Palat's negotiations next summer. I still expect Drouin to go after every last penny he can get (he'll be a perfect offer sheet target and I've no doubt he'd sign one), but locking up the Triplets long term at ~$6M each would give us enough space to keep Drouin in the fold (assuming Killorn is gone by then or Yzerman somehow pulls of some magic with Flip and Cally.)

Stamkos will still have to show up in the playoffs for his contract not to be a mistake, but at least if we can keep the Triplets and Drouin it won't be a complete disaster.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I still think $8.5M to Stamkos was a bad move, but if Yzerman can actually get Kuch signed for six years at under $6M it'll go a long way toward making up for that. Not only for getting Kuch that cheaply but for what it'll do to Johnson's and Palat's negotiations next summer. I still expect Drouin to go after every last penny he can get (he'll be a perfect offer sheet target and I've no doubt he'd sign one), but locking up the Triplets long term at ~$6M each would give us enough space to keep Drouin in the fold (assuming Killorn is gone by then or Yzerman somehow pulls of some magic with Flip and Cally.)

Stamkos will still have to show up in the playoffs for his contract not to be a mistake, but at least if we can keep the Triplets and Drouin it won't be a complete disaster.

How is 6 years a bridge deal?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Are you kidding? If we have Stamkos, Hedman, the triplets and Drouin locked up then that is far from a disaster. You know how many teams would kill for a core like that? Hell i dont even think there is a comparable one.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Filp and Bish are in play. Yzerman is being patient. Season ending injuries to a fringe playoff or a contending team's #1 goaltender or one of their top 2 centers ... and Yzerman can dangle two players that can certainly fit the bill. This happens every season ... and Yzerman will get the deal he likes when he is a position on strength relative to the trading partner. I'm reminded of the Brewer deal. I really doubt Garrison is in play...guy is as solid as they come in his role.

With Kuch at $5.9 we don't need to make any moves ... its just a matter of Yzerman staying patient and pulling the trigger once he has a bit of leverage. If Vladdy gets significant time at the Center position that tells me Filp is in play as they'll want to carefully evaluate him at Center before pulling the trigger on Filp.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As much as I'm a believer in SIA's source(s), even he qualified the statement with "but I don't believe it." So even though it looks like Kuch will be signing within the next 48 hours, maybe we shouldn't get TOO optimistic about the contract yet.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Killorn / Stamkos / Callahan
Killorn / Filp / Stamkos

Tell me which of these lines was supposed to highlight Stammer's greatest attribute? Stammer has maintained his production as the team's scoring leader even when put with defensive first forwards. In the 2014-15 playoffs Stammer still had 18 points ... its not like he was invisible he produced as much as could be expected in my opinion.

If Stamkos cannot produce with Palat and Drouin - it would be 'cause for concern. But as it stands now with the linemates he has played with the past two seasons ... it stands of no concern to me. He has improved his 2-way game, his shot is still one of the best in the league, and he does not have the vision nor hands of Crosby ... but we don't need him to be Crosby - we need Drouin to be Crosby. Stamkos needs someone to feed him the puck and he hasn't had that the past two seasons.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Killorn / Stamkos / Callahan
Killorn / Filp / Stamkos

Tell me which of these lines was supposed to highlight Stammer's greatest attribute? Stammer has maintained his production as the team's scoring leader even when put with defensive first forwards. In the 2014-15 playoffs Stammer still had 18 points ... its not like he was invisible he produced as much as could be expected in my opinion.

If Stamkos cannot produce with Palat and Drouin - it would be 'cause for concern. But as it stands now with the linemates he has played with the past two seasons ... it stands of no concern to me. He has improved his 2-way game, his shot is still one of the best in the league, and he does not have the vision nor hands of Crosby ... but we don't need him to be Crosby - we need Drouin to be Crosby. Stamkos needs someone to feed him the puck and he hasn't had that the past two seasons.

You just made my point for me: one of those "defensive first forwards" as you called them has matched Stammer's offensive production in the playoffs while being a far superior defensive player, is signed to barely half of what Stamkos is going to make, and yet we are likely to lose him precisely because we signed Stamkos to that ridiculous contract. I'm sorry but for $8.5M a player shouldn't produce in the games that matter most at the same rate as a "defensive first forward" or require high end talent feeding him the puck to be effective - he should be capable of taking over games on his own and elevating the play of his linemates rather than requiring them to elevate his.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
There is just no way he takes that deal, I can't see his agent staying silent.

I'm trying to frame this whole thing up in my head over the next few years.

One year gets you having to renew him, Drouin, Palat, Johnson, and making a choice on Boyle. Defensively you have Sustr, Nesterov, and Taormina you have to make choices on. This also means the end of Bishop, if he ends up staying all year. Enough money going out potentially to make it work but I just don't see it.

Two years gets you Vladdy, Condra(well...), Brown, Paq, Filppula, and Garrison expiring. That could be likely 12 million in salary going out, under the assumption that you let Flip, Garrison, Brown, Condra walk, maybe a bit more if you count Paq too.

Three years seems to not make sense. I doubt Kuch would take a bridge deal nor would his agent let him take one of that length. This could be a bit of a gentlemans agreement - we'll give you 5x2 right now potentially with 4m of it as a bonus so you receive it all up front. Set it up the same both years, give him a lump sum on opening night. From there, you work on a 7x7 or 7x8 contract for him (you'll likely have to give him a little more for taking one for the team) and have it ready to go the day he is eligible to sign.

The more I think of it, the more a two-year bridge deal would make sense if he plays ball. That gives you time to hold him (and play him) with two years to un**** your financials and figure out how to eventually pay him, Drouin, Point, and more.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
You just made my point for me: one of those "defensive first forwards" as you called them has matched Stammer's offensive production in the playoffs while being a far superior defensive player, is signed to barely half of what Stamkos is going to make, and yet we are likely to lose him precisely because we signed Stamkos to that ridiculous contract. I'm sorry but for $8.5M a player shouldn't produce in the games that matter most at the same rate as a "defensive first forward" or require high end talent feeding him the puck to be effective - he should be capable of taking over games on his own and elevating the play of his linemates rather than requiring them to elevate his.

Yes and no. You're not wrong with expecting that, but he still has one of the best releases in the league and the key to good management is learning how to use all of your people and tools to the best of your ability. If needing better people on either side of 91 is what it takes, so be it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
On Stamkos, we'll see how he does this year. The one benefit of the doubt he gets is that he hasn't consistently played with offensive-minded players, and has put up decent numbers even while playing, let's say, "inconsistently." It's going to be hard for Cooper to conjure up a way to not play Stamkos with playmakers this season. So, if he returns to form, those of us who criticized him can happily eat some crow. If he doesn't, we can hope he's not actually regressing, but "is what he is," which is still a good point producer and excellent face of the franchise, even if he's no longer an elite player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad