Nikita Kucherov sets NHL record for most empty-net points in a season

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Idk why there were so many posts about how much cooper trusts kucherov, he’s not a good defensive player. It’s probably more about being good at capitalizing on these opportunities to end the game. Or it’s the regular season for a team definitely making the playoffs, it’s not really a big deal. Keefe has put Bertuzzi out a lot with the net empty and he sucks defensively, though granted Keefe isn’t that sharp. I think a lot of these decisions are keeping guys happy with easier point chances.
We weren't definitely making the playoffs until this huge run recently

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Kucherov is posting hof consistently and having a record settings season for a right winger. He is going to pass Jagr for most points in a season by a winger. Definitely overrated and a choke artist that won back to back cups. Maybe the oilers and the teams on the great white north will learn how to choke out two back to back cups .

Reactions: Tofveve

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Interesting stat. My initial reaction, like some people, would be immediately dismissive; thinking empty net goals are gimmes and maybe for the most part they are. But if the empty net points are predominantly assists, I think there is definite merit in considering those contributions because the player may generally show they are not as interested in getting the glory in a stat-padding empty net goal, but rather are wanting to ensure they set up their teammate for the best chance at securing the victory.

I have seen a number of times a player takes an empty net shot from a ridiculous low percentage distance, subsequently icing the puck as a result, rather than passing it to a teammate who is open. Assists are generally seen as less sexy as goals, but there is a reason why the bulk of the historical greats in this game have a high assist total. I certainly can respect a player who, in an empty net situation decides to make the sensible play rather than trying to win it all himself.

Even if he does net more goals though, the fact that he is put in that situation shows that the coach and team trusts that he won't squander the opportunity to protect the lead. That says something too.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Empty net points are arguably more important that even strength points since they're scored in the clutch with the game on the line. Kuch is having a monster season, definitely deserves the Art Ross this year.
there are literally hundreds of 5 on 5 goals scored "in the clutch with the game on the line"
not to mention 6 on 5 goals scored to tie it "with the game on the line"

But good for Kuch , having a hell of a season. I wouldn't bet against him and the Bolts in the first round.

Ovechkin was always it there in the regular season for ENs and then Trotz stapled him to the bench during those situations in the playoffs.

It doesn't show that Cooper trusts him, it shows that he wants to keep Kucherov happy.
Both can be true at the same time.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Idk why there were so many posts about how much cooper trusts kucherov, he’s not a good defensive player. It’s probably more about being good at capitalizing on these opportunities to end the game. Or it’s the regular season for a team definitely making the playoffs, it’s not really a big deal. Keefe has put Bertuzzi out a lot with the net empty and he sucks defensively, though granted Keefe isn’t that sharp. I think a lot of these decisions are keeping guys happy with easier point chances.
Best defense is sometimes a good offense. Not all teams are equal in their ability to score empty net goals. If Kucherov controls the puck in a 5 on 6, the game is effectively over. That’s a massive advantage.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
It’s merely an observation, get off your high horse.

Kucherov has his own thread already and even that is overrun by whining about empty net points. Glad we have another one.

Mine was merely an observation as well, but thanks for the advice.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
There's a reason Kucherov gets empty net points. When the puck is on his stick he makes great decisions in his own zone. Even last night despite the long shift he stripped the player of the puck and made a great play to chip the puck off the boards to Stamkos for the ENG. He also got a couple players the puck before that who weren't able to finish on the EN.
Coop has said himself that Kuch is great at helping get the puck out from their own zone.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's not the most flattering record, but there are positives to this for Kucherov and his team:

1. When a player scores an EN point, his team almost always wins.

2. Obviously TB is trusting him when they have late leads and he's rewarding their trust.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Kucherov is posting hof consistently and having a record settings season for a right winger. He is going to pass Jagr for most points in a season by a winger. Definitely overrated and a choke artist that won back to back cups. Maybe the oilers and the teams on the great white north will learn how to choke out two back to back cups .
Guy is a total stud and a winner. Love me some Kucherov!

Remove empty net points

Kucherov 120
McDavid 121
MacKinnon 122
:laugh:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
There's no doubt finishing off games is important, but it is more of a defensive/situational skill. I mean, in normal play you don't get points for clearing the puck out of the zone or other defensive plays like that.

If the League started from scratch today and didn't have all the history it has, I would have empty net points as a separate thing. Not because it's a slight on anyone who has a lot of them, but it would give more context to the general stat line and even create recognition for players being good in those situations. Most people don't dive into stats that closely and look at where the points came from.

For example, guys like Backlund and Cirelli are going to probably finish the season somewhere in the 40's, but their actual points are in the 30's with half a dozen (and counting) empty net points. Having the separate points would immediately tell you this is a defensive center who you want out there at the end of games.

Then you have Max Domi also in the 40's who you don't want out there.

But I digress. It's actually kind of weird no one in this league have put up more than 13 empty net points before.

In theory what you’re saying makes sense, but there are lots of players who are not particularly good defensively who still get lots of late game icetime a man down.

Kucherov himself is a good example of this.

Kucherov is there for his puck skills, not because he’s a strong defender

Reactions: PM88RU

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad