Nikita Kucherov sets NHL record for most empty-net points in a season

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
10% of your points via EN is quite a bit.
no one will bat an eye if a 50 point guy gets 5 EN point.

now, in 2019-20

Tanner pearson had 45 points, 9 of which were empty net points. (20%)
that same year
Loui Eriksson (bless his soul) had 13 points all year, 6 of them were empty net points. (~50%!!)

they were torching down empty villages allll year long.

Last edited:

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Here's a fun way to look at it: he has 119 points that aren't empty-net, which is still 3rd in league scoring

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
TBL had 33 opportunities to score an ENG and succeeded 21 times. that is impressive.

contrast that with

NYI had 26 opportunities to score an ENG and succeeded to score 1(!!!!)

:eek3:.....is that actually true???

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
Idk why people want to act like empty netters are a bad thing. Scoring them seals the game for your team, it's a positive. It's also clearly a skill where some teams excel over others.

Reactions: olli

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
There's no doubt finishing off games is important, but it is more of a defensive/situational skill. I mean, in normal play you don't get points for clearing the puck out of the zone or other defensive plays like that.

If the League started from scratch today and didn't have all the history it has, I would have empty net points as a separate thing. Not because it's a slight on anyone who has a lot of them, but it would give more context to the general stat line and even create recognition for players being good in those situations. Most people don't dive into stats that closely and look at where the points came from.

For example, guys like Backlund and Cirelli are going to probably finish the season somewhere in the 40's, but their actual points are in the 30's with half a dozen (and counting) empty net points. Having the separate points would immediately tell you this is a defensive center who you want out there at the end of games.

Then you have Max Domi also in the 40's who you don't want out there.

But I digress. It's actually kind of weird no one in this league have put up more than 13 empty net points before.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's neat to see that a McDavid fan can be this gracious and complimentary towards a scoring rival. Bravo, OP. :sarcasm:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm actually a little surprised the record is only 13pts. Doesn't seem like a lot when most regulation wins are within a goal or two.

Reactions: Hoek

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Ovechkin was always it there in the regular season for ENs and then Trotz stapled him to the bench during those situations in the playoffs.

It doesn't show that Cooper trusts him, it shows that he wants to keep Kucherov happy.
Yeah, the Ovechkin case is a good counterpoint to the "it shows that coaches trust him" posts.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Idk why there were so many posts about how much cooper trusts kucherov, he’s not a good defensive player. It’s probably more about being good at capitalizing on these opportunities to end the game. Or it’s the regular season for a team definitely making the playoffs, it’s not really a big deal. Keefe has put Bertuzzi out a lot with the net empty and he sucks defensively, though granted Keefe isn’t that sharp. I think a lot of these decisions are keeping guys happy with easier point chances.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
130 points, 13 EN points but his +/- is only 7 🤔
Well he's also been on the ice for a shitload of empty net goals against, especially early in the season.

+/- is a dumb stat because empty netters skew it so much for players who are on the ice for those situations, why not just use 5 on 5 goal differential.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Much more impressive record is that he is the first EVER winger with 90+ assists in one season
Truly amazing

Back to the topic. I wonder if there is a stat of how much time Kucherov getting against empty nets, is it much more than Macs or about the same?

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Much more impressive record is that he is the first EVER winger with 90+ assists in one season
Truly amazing

Back ti the topic. I wonder if there is a stat of how much time Kucherov getting against empty nets, is it much more than Macs or about the same?
Wow! That’s an amazing record. Kudos to Kucherov. He would be a worthy Hart and Ross winner just like the other 2.
If they are all close I’d give the Hart to Kuch as he best fits the meaning of the award imo. But the other 2 are close as well.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Who had the record before? I would assume it was another modern player like Crosby or Ovechkin.
Edit - looks like it was Blake Wheeler

Yes, according to NHL, it was Blake Wheeler in 2018/2019.

What is strange about this statistic? When you look to Top 10, there are 4 guys from 21/22 season and 2 from this season.

Expanding to Top 20:
- 8 players form 21/22
- 4 players from 23/24

First player from 90s is Keith Tkachuk with 9 ENP (1996/1997) on place 25.

In Top 50 there are only 2 season from 80s, both from Gretzky. And only one season from 70s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ol' Jase

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
It's neat to see that a McDavid fan can be this gracious and complimentary towards a scoring rival. Bravo, OP. :sarcasm:

I may be an Oilers fan, but I’m a hockey fan first and foremost. Nothing you can do but watch with awe and respect when you see records like this being broken.

One day we’ll be telling our grandkids about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad