Nikita Kucherov sets NHL record for most empty-net points in a season

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Not a huge surprise to see that record set in this era, teams are so much more aggressive with pulling their goalies than they were in the past.

Who had the record before? I would assume it was another modern player like Crosby or Ovechkin.
Edit - looks like it was Blake Wheeler

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Damn…. I’m going to be that guy

13 EN points is ridiculous in this tight Art Ross race

However, I’m actually impressed he had that many EN opportunities. Makes me think more of him as a player.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
You still gotta set up or finish those chances. How many times have we seen teams desperate to get an empty net goal and just ice it or do a bad clear and give up an equalizer instead? Kuch stays calm and collected in those situations and either finds the right guy to get it to or pots it himself.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Love that there was a thread made about this but not about him setting the assist record for wingers.
He has the THREE all time highest assist seasons by a Russian player. 90, 87, and 83.

Yes, McDavid is in a higher tier, but Kucherov deserves a lot of appreciation for being one of the greatest players in history. A lot of great playmakers never hit 80 assists, and he's done it three times.

Also helps to know that the Lightning have the most empty net goals this season. They don't turtle
Honestly, I think that began to change when Cooper started using Kucherov in those situations. For years, we were terrible at closing games with an ENG.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Shows that that his coach trusts him in crucial late game defensive situations and he knows how to finish these games off.

Very impressive despite what the haters will say.
Ovechkin was always it there in the regular season for ENs and then Trotz stapled him to the bench during those situations in the playoffs.

It doesn't show that Cooper trusts him, it shows that he wants to keep Kucherov happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad