Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolaimbot

Nov 20, 2016
IMO Marty is still the best forward in team history. Kuch can pass him though if he has the longevity.
Thats why I made a difference between "best" and "greatest". As a hockey player Kucherov is better than Marty ever was, nothing to do with longevity. Marty has the long and decorated career in bolts, hence the title "greatest".

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
EjN9aQxWoAAGm2-.jpg

Legends never die.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Looking back it's just crazy to think that this guy at scored just 18 points in 52 at 20 years old. I mean it was always obvious that the talent is there and playing with guys like BJ Crombeen will help with that but man, never expected him to become this good.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
We have seen Kuch smile once or twice in his whole tenue in Tampa, and the guy hasn't stopped smiling one moment since winning the Cup. Wholesome, you can see how much this means to him.

(the fact he's hammered beyond human consciousness makes it all even better)

The man literally only ever cared about team success, and finally achieved the ultimate.

So fun to watch.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

3. Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay Lightning
Kucherov won the Hart Trophy voted as NHL MVP in 2018-19, when he scored 128 points (41 goals, 87 assists), the most in one season since Mario Lemieux (161) and Jaromir Jagr (149) for the Penguins in 1995-96. In 68 games last season, Kucherov scored 85 points (33 goals, 52 assists) and was plus-26 before leading the NHL with 34 points (seven goals, 27 assists) in 25 postseason games and helping the Lightning win the Stanley Cup. The right wing ranks second in the NHL with 398 points (153 goals, 245 assists) in 304 games during the past four seasons, behind Edmonton Oilers center Connor McDavid (421).

Reactions: Peacefool

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Interview with Kucherov in Russian. I made a "google translation". It looks good enough. So I simply posted it here w/o corrections. Cause you know Russians are lazy :laugh:

Part 1.
"We decided to split this interview into two parts. In the first, we will talk about Nikita's health, because Kucherov himself has not told anyone about it yet.

Everything turned out suddenly, and even the devoted fans of "Tampa", who follow every rustle from the camp of their favorite team, were dizzy. Here Nikita puts a photo of how peacefully walking with a child on the embankment somewhere in Tampa. Nothing foreshadows…

The season starts soon. Lightning general manager Julien Brisbois is diligently tamping down his team's players under the salary cap. And suddenly the news broke-Kucherov was out until the end of the regular season due to an injury.

How? What? Why? Only echoed the news that Nikita had gone to New York, where he underwent surgery. Then I went back to Tampa. But no one had been able to talk to Kucherov until that moment.

And now I'm meeting with Nikita in Zoom. This interview was organized by the first coach of Kucherov-Gennady Kurdin, who worked with a talented guy at the Moscow school "Polar Bears".
"A month has passed since the operation, I feel much better»

- Nikita, how do you feel after the injury? How is your recovery going?

— It's been a month since I had the operation. I feel much better. I'm recovering slowly, working with physical therapists. I go to massages every day.

I mostly work on this leg. I pump the muscles around the part of the thigh. After five weeks, I see that the progress is very good, and I am happy with everything.

In general, I think it is right that we decided to do the operation right now. It was the best option possible. Look at what's happening around you — the pandemic, the matches of different teams are postponed. Everything is a little crumpled. And I am pleased that we have come to this decision. It was the right move.

- Tell us a little more about the injury itself. When did you get it? This news was like a bolt from the blue.

— It happened in the playoffs. To be more precise, I had several micro-injuries. Then I came to Russia and I didn't really feel this trauma. Because I didn't train on the ice and there were no prerequisites that I would have problems with my hip.

The only thing that bothered me a little was my groin. But I thought it would heal after a while. I went back to Tampa, went to all sorts of massages and needles. My groin seemed to be gone, but my hip ached. They've already taken pictures and found that the hip is not all right. Then we decided that we should do the operation.

— How is the recovery process going? Do you do any special exercises?

— I go to the gym every day. I study almost seven days a week. I meet with physical therapists all the time. I'm working on building up my hip muscles. I train only with my weight. Because in the first six weeks, you can not give heavy loads.

I'm trying to work on the volume of movement, and I have it much better now than ever. So I'm already happy. If before I had to work hard to warm up 20 minutes before the match to get my movement back, now I'm standing and I feel like my leg is already stretched.
"It is important that Match TV shows the NHL all over the country»

— Now you have more free time. Can you see the matches of the League?

— I follow the KHL, and I have friends playing in different teams. It's interesting to watch them. Reviews of the KHL come out irregularly, and it's hard to find something on a particular game.

If I meet any review of the day on YouTube, I can watch it. But I'm not specifically looking for anything. I'm mostly thinking about my leg right now. I spend more time with my family. I don't really go into hockey. I'm trying to think of something else to switch off a little. And then you can probably even drive yourself like this.

— When you were a child, you had a poster of the "Russian Five", for which Igor Larionov played, hanging over your bed. Now he coaches the youth national team. What are your impressions of the World Cup?

- It's hard to say, I didn't watch all the matches. It wasn't always the same time. I only watched a couple of games. Therefore, it is very difficult to judge.

As I understand it, the coach came to this post for the first time. And it is difficult to give a result right away. To get used to the guys, and so that they, in turn, immediately understand his system. What it requires and how.

I think the guys played well. But somewhere out of luck. We've been through this, too. This is not a tournament that if it didn't work out, you need to get very upset. The guys have a long career ahead of them. This is just a barrier in front of other obstacles. And this is a good experience for the guys and the coaching staff.

- Since this season, Match TV has been showing NHL games all over the country. How do you assess this breakthrough?

— That's very nice." And it is important for children. We didn't have that opportunity when we were kids, but they do now. And it's very cool when you have a chance to watch the best hockey players in the world, what they do on the ice.

My first coach, Gennady Kurdin, said that NHL games are very important for the guys to analyze these games, learn, gain knowledge. And it is also very good in terms of the development of hockey in Russia. This is a big plus.

— Which match for the adult Russian national team warms your soul the most?

— I haven't played too many matches for the national team to single out any one. And with me, we have never won the World Championships. I hope that in the future I will remember well the match in which we won the gold medals. And this will be the most important game.

As it is, all the matches were pleasant, and it is always great to play for the national team, to be in the locker room. Enjoy every minute of it. It's a great pleasure when you play shoulder to shoulder with the guys.
"Before the pandemic, my hobby was fishing»

— How do you spend your time in Tampa? Do you have any particular favorite places?

— Now there is no opportunity to go anywhere. In my free time, I sit at home, and so for almost a year.

And before this virus, my hobby was fishing. The guys and I would always get together between games if there was a couple of days off. We hired a yacht captain and went to the ocean, where we fished for five or six hours. We had a quiet time on the water, a little distracted from hockey. We relaxed.

In general, we have a small town. You're not really going anywhere. Well, a couple of familiar restaurants. Yes, the weather is good here. As it is, you come and mostly stay at home. I need to recover from the matches and spend some time with my family. Because there are trips for 10-14 days.

And when you come back, you don't want to go anywhere. Because in other cities, you constantly go to restaurants, you can't sit in the room. But in Tampa, you just want to go home.

— In the autumn, in the off-season, you came home to Russia. Dacha in the Moscow region, good company. Did it become an outlet for you?

— It was a great time, and we had a great time. A couple of times we gathered with the guys at the dacha, fried shish kebabs. We relaxed, talked, remembered different moments, how we played in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, how we lived in a bubble. When friends are around, you always find something to talk about.

— Your son Max is two years old. Are you already loading it with hockey?

— It's too early, he has his own toys now, all sorts of legos. I don't want to force a child to play hockey. If only he wants to… It is clear that in four or five years I will put him on skates. But I won't make him play it myself.

As it is, my son likes to watch hockey. We constantly show different matches on TV, and it sticks. He likes it, and already knows what a couple of teams are called. He recognizes some players.

But he's only two years old. All life is in cars and cubes. And it's too early for him to think about hockey.
"A Russian fan got a tattoo of the entire Tampa Bay — our locker room appreciated it»

- The Russian fan club "Tampa" admires. Its leader Alexey Chelyukanov personally makes electric guitars for his favorite hockey players with their portraits. He wrote and published a thick book-the history of "Lightning". I have a question — how do you feel about such miracle fans?

— I haven't seen this book yet. I know that it was given to Mikhail Sergachev and Andrey Vasilevsky. I hope this book will also be given to me.

It's very good that there are people who are so passionate about our team. Four Russian guys are playing for Tampa. And we are very pleased that there are such enthusiasts in Russia who watch your every match and worry about you. It's very nice. And I remember very well how Chel gave me a guitar.

We met, he came to Toronto for our game. It's great when you feel that kind of support. Alexey is a great person. We had a nice chat, and the children were there.

That's the kind of guys you especially want to play for. They are such good and kind people, they are so sincere to you, they support you so much, that it adds confidence. And you go out on the ice elated, you have even more emotions.

— Did you see that Alexey Chelyukanov filled all the portraits of all the players of "Tampa" who won the Stanley Cup with his left hand? I'm not saying how much money and time he spent on it, but it's really a physical test.

— I can tell, it is a serious act-to fill on a hand the whole team and a cup. Cool tattoo, I really liked it. And all the guys at Tampa saw it, too. He recently posted a photo and video on social networks. Our team appreciated everything. All at once expressed their respect. I do not know how much time he spent on this creation. But in "Tampa" it was rated at the highest level.

In the second part of an exclusive interview with Nikita Kucherov, you will learn:

did Nikita surprise himself when he burned out in America after winning the Stanley Cup and went to fraternize with the people;
what is the strangest rumor about yourself read Kucherov;
What kind of experience did Tampa get after this Stanley Cup win, and how did the team change?;
When will Nikita bring the Stanley Cup to Russia?

Source in Russian «Правильно, что мы решили сделать операцию именно сейчас, когда вокруг пандемия». Эксклюзивное интервью Никиты Кучерова

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Part 2. Source in Russian «Очень хочется привезти Кубок Стэнли в Россию. В идеале — выиграть его и в этом году». Эксклюзивное интервью Никиты Кучерова

And today we will talk about how Tampa won the Stanley Cup and how Nikita's big hockey dream came true. Let's look at the playoffs through the eyes of its top scorer.

"I wanted to thank the people who supported us»

- Nikita, it seems to us that the brightest moment after winning the Stanley Cup is how you fraternized with the Lightning fans.
- We just walked into the crowd and hugged everyone, forgetting about the coronavirus, masks, and social distance.
- Did you surprise yourself when you went on a fun break?
— No, I wasn't particularly surprised myself. But when you go to your goal from childhood and achieve it, you are truly happy. And you find yourself in such a state that you don't pay attention to anything. You just get high and feel really happy for yourself, for the guys, for everyone around you.

— We've come a very long way. And at some point, I was in such a mood that I didn't really realize what I was doing and how. Of course, alcohol helped a little in this regard. But I just felt high and wanted to thank the fans. They didn't see us for three months while we were playing in the playoffs. It was hard for them, too. And this was our first meeting with the Tampa fans at this parade.

- I wanted to somehow thank people, take a picture with them, hug them. And I can imagine how much people enjoyed our victory. I don't often go to the people like that myself, but then there was an iron reason. Now you can!

"It's very important when you play and you get high on hockey»

— What do you think was the secret of Tampa's success in the playoffs?

— This is very important when you are playing and you enjoy hockey. It was probably our first playoff game, when the whole team came out with such a mood. Because I remember what happened before, when we lost the seventh game of the series to Pittsburgh and Washington. We constantly screwed ourselves up: "We must definitely win!»

And they didn't win.

-We were constantly under some kind of pressure. There was pressure… The year before, we lost to Columbus (0-4 in the first round). There, too, the pressure was very strong. And this time we came out with one thought: as it will be, so it will be. The main thing is to play well regardless of the score. Don't pay attention to it. You go out and play with an empty head, you try to win. And before, we played and were afraid to make a mistake.

This is a completely different approach to hockey. And now the guys are liberated, and in this case there is a completely different game. You're not afraid to make a mistake. You give away some gear, throw-ups — and imagine, they all pass! Because you're confident.

And earlier, you could think before the pass — it will pass or not, whether it is worth giving. And that was the pressure.

- Many Tampa players and coaches said that the crushing loss to Columbus in the playoffs (0-4) was a big lesson that helped win the Stanley Cup a year later. And what lesson, in your opinion, was the victory in the playoffs? What did Lightning learn from this?

— This victory gave me a lot of confidence. If you watch our matches today, you can see that the guys are now playing in the classroom. They know that Tampa is just better as a team. They go out on the ice and dominate.

Why? Because we just won the Stanley Cup. Even if we don't play well, we'll still beat you. Because we are stronger. That's our attitude.

And we have such an autosuggestion that "Tampa" is a strong team. Even though I watch hockey from the sidelines now, I have confidence before the game. Well, have you come to us? We'll still beat you. You can leave now.

We know that Tampa is a very good team. And if we play correctly, as we did in the bubble, then it will be extremely difficult to cope with us. Because we have a good goalkeeper, a good defense, a good offense. And if everyone does their job, they don't take offense at each other: "Why didn't you give me a pass there?", if everyone is on a positive wave and plays for the team, and does not get lost on the individual, then we have a very good chance to win.

And that's the confidence we lacked in previous years. We used to go out on the ice, worried and worried. And now we're brazenly going out. And look at the other teams — the same "Pittsburgh" and "Washington" when they won the Stanley Cup, they were just as brazen in the following seasons. We went out and dominated the court.

The Stanley Cup provides a powerful boost for the future. And the most important thing for "Tampa" now is to keep this bar, without going down. Stability is very important.

"I spent my day with the Stanley Cup in nature»

— Because of this strange season, the Stanley Cup could only move around Tampa. Andrey Vasilevsky invited his parents, they saw a silver bowl. How did you spend your day with the Stanley Cup?

— We went on a boat with my family, and other guys were with us-Vasya (Vasilevsky), Sasha Volkov. Just skated for two days, swam, rested. There weren't too many options. What else can I do with it? All the restaurants are closed, you can't go anywhere. In fact, we spent time in nature, on the water, in the fresh air. In such conditions, you do not have to choose.

Yes, it would be great to bring the Stanley Cup to Russia....
- You can theoretically be given a cup in the summer of 2021. So it would be nice to win the Stanley Cup for the second year in a row. Are there any chances? Have you spoken to the trophy keeper?

— I haven't talked to anyone, and I don't even get into it. I didn't ask anyone anything. The team will say something, I'll hear it. And I won't ask you myself.

They will give it-well. No — my opinion won't change anything. And I'm not going to worry about it.

But next year, if we lose in the playoffs, God forbid, and someone else takes the Stanley Cup… I don't understand this, how will they give the cup to the Tampa hockey players? And if the other winning club also has Russians? We will all bring the Stanley Cup to Russia together and explain that we are also champions, but we won a year ago, and now we just lost?

However, all the same-I want to bring the Stanley Cup to Russia, regardless of the circumstances. But the magic feeling, as in 2020, immediately after the victory, will no longer be there. So, purely for photos. Well, you don't really go to a restaurant. What should we celebrate if we lose?

— That's why I say we should take the second one.

- Yes, there is hope that we will win again. And I'll be able to play at least something, too. But let's see, there's no point in guessing now.

"There is a rumor about Kucherov that seems very strange to me»

- Athletes usually do not follow what is written about them. But you probably hear certain rumors. What is the ear that is associated with Kucherawy, did you find the most weird or funny?

- Of course, I am interested in other news — I read about football, basketball, what exchanges there are, and what is happening in the world in general. I want to keep up to date.

So the information does not pass me by. And the strangest thing I read was when someone wrote that I was mixed up in the draft with Nikita Nesterov. That is, allegedly, the general manager of "Tampa" wanted to take him, and took me, because we have the same names.

— I've never seen anything weirder than that article!" I can't even imagine who wrote it. But this man surprised me!

This rumor has been flying for many years, popping up here and there. And I still can't understand-do people really think that, or are they just joking?

— You are famous as a strong athlete, for whom hockey is life. But are there any hobbies outside of the ice? For example, collect stamps, collect coins…

— I just like to play other sports. If not hockey, then football or basketball. Or lawn tennis. I like to be mobile. I can't just sit in one place. I am interested in developing in other disciplines.

Here you watch the same basketball or football, you follow the players. And you learn from others, too. You see how they prepare, how they play. What do the movements in basketball-for example, swing the opponent, rhythmically moving the body. But it also happens in hockey. You stand in front of your opponent and you can rock him.

This is also very important and interesting. And I can also play on the computer, sit down for an hour.

— Probably, Fortnite? SKA defender Igor Ozhiganov, with whom you played as a child in the "White Bears", is very strong in this shooting game.

— No, no, I have an amateur level. Just call the guys, chat, run and shoot. To kill time somehow. I am very easy and not serious about computer games.

the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad