Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Imagine if we had this guy all season. We were in the pack for 1st in the division until the last week of the season, without Kuch, Stamkos and injured Hedman.

This team is on a different level when healthy

Reactions: Hoek

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Imagine how many goals he would have if he was a playoff performer @These Are The Days

:sarcasm:

do0o0o0od I know right?!?!

Although my critique was how his play dropped off substantially vs CHI, PIT and WSH for the last 2 games of each respective series. I mean if we go up 3-2 on DAL and Kucherov has 0 points again the rest of the way and we lose the Cup in 7 games then it would've been (in my eyes) par for the course and exactly why I ever griped to begin with

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I love having arguments with casual fans when people try and tell me he isn't a playoff performer. It's as if they assume he doesn't show up in the playoffs because hes Russian, when in reality the reverse is true. He goes into beast mode.

Reactions: zeykshade and Hoek

Lolaimbot

Nov 20, 2016
I love having arguments with casual fans when people try and tell me he isn't a playoff performer. It's as if they assume he doesn't show up in the playoffs because hes Russian, when in reality the reverse is true. He goes into beast mode.
People still say he isn't a playoff performer? They didn't follow playoff hockey in 2015, 2016, 2018 or 2020?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
People still say he isn't a playoff performer? They didn't follow playoff hockey in 2015, 2016, 2018 or 2020?

Honestly. I've heard people Criticize Kucherov's playoff performance, saying that he disappears come playoffs. In the same breathe they will defend Stamkos for it. If anyone deserves to be Criticize for not producing come playoffs its Stamkos. So yeah...

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Last year cannot be argued but he had his dry spells before and was rightfully criticized.

He sucked against Columbus but before that he and Johnson were first and second in the league in playoff goals and points over the span of a few years.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He sucked against Columbus but before that he and Johnson were first and second in the league in playoff goals and points over the span of a few years.
I’m the biggest Kucherov fan there is but he’s had a couple (very) underwhelming series though - despite great cumulative totals:

For example in 2018 against Boston (2 points in 5 games) after destroying NJ the round before (10 in 5). That’s the same playoffs he was held scoreless three times against Washington later on in the ECF (still had 5 in 7) including two elimination games when the entire team failed to score a single goal and close the series.

2016 in the ECF against Pittsburgh he scored 7 in 7 but was held scoreless in four of those seven games including two elimination games. We lost that series.

2015 he had 4 assists in 7 games against Detroit but was held scoreless in five of those seven games. In the SCF against Chicago he would then only have 3 in 6 and be scoreless in four of those six games including the last three games of the series. The Hawks went on to win the Cup.

And then there was 2019 against Columbus... 2 assists in 3 games, scoreless twice and a suspension.

Last edited:
Reactions: These Are The Days

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

When the Lightning go 0-7 in the last games of each respective bolded year and lose each respective series after having a lead in all of them and Kucherov having 0 total points in all of it.... All one can say is you really, REALLY start to worry by the time you get to 2020 if it's not gonna happen again. I never turn on a Lightning game anymore and don't find myself thankful that Kucherov proved me wrong in dominating fashion. Best damn crow I've ever eaten. He's not solely to blame, but our offense dying on those nights are the difference between us actually having (to date) 1 Championship, 2 runner-ups and 2 blown ECF's versus 2 Championships and 4 total appearances.

Had it happened again last year, you weren't gonna budge me on Kucherov being a guy who starts a series on fire and fades at the end and wilts under that kind of pressure.

But again, thank God he proved me wrong. It's probably the worst-aged take I've ever made.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I’m the biggest Kucherov fan there is but he’s had a couple (very) underwhelming series though - despite great cumulative totals:

For example in 2018 against Boston (2 points in 5 games) after destroying NJ the round before (10 in 5). That’s the same playoffs he was held scoreless three times against Washington later on in the ECF (still had 5 in 7) including two elimination games when the entire team failed to score a single goal and close the series.

2016 in the ECF against Pittsburgh he scored 7 in 7 but was held scoreless in four of those seven games including two elimination games. We lost that series.

2015 he had 4 assists in 7 games against Detroit but was held scoreless in five of those seven games. In the SCF against Chicago he would then only have 3 in 6 and be scoreless in four of those six games including the last three games of the series. The Hawks went on to win the Cup.

And then there was 2019 against Columbus... 2 assists in 3 games, scoreless twice and a suspension.

All of this.

There is an argument to be made that the Tampa Bay Lightning as a whole have vastly under-performed their potential and Kucherov's worst nights of his playoff career is a factor it all shares in common. Honest to God we should've had at least 2 Cups with this group already. If we're being honest, Stamkos is just as much of a culprit too -but we'll save that for his thread. Kucherov could rack up points in a hurry and we'd blow teams out.

But I'll be damned if he couldn't have used so many of those points when we had a series lead vs CHI, PIT and WSH. And if he performs as he did last year we're well on our way to said 2nd Cup and just far later into the window than one would've liked.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Look if I wanted to watch WWE, I’d tune in. I like watching the NHL, especially the Lightning.

If Kuch is done, I’m done

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It was the same slash that a Red Wing gave Garrison some years back. It stings like hell but he'll be fine.

Reactions: Peacefool

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Stingers can seem like the end of the world, leg goes numb, tingling feeling all up, can't put pressure, bad bruise. I'm praying its nothing more serious. Guy has been destroying the Panthers so far

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Ok Kuch left from bench on his own,wasnt carried by anyone,and used both legs to walk,I hope its a good sign

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
do0o0o0od I know right?!?!

Although my critique was how his play dropped off substantially vs CHI, PIT and WSH for the last 2 games of each respective series. I mean if we go up 3-2 on DAL and Kucherov has 0 points again the rest of the way and we lose the Cup in 7 games then it would've been (in my eyes) par for the course and exactly why I ever griped to begin with

It just leaves out all the times he'd been a hero for us, even up to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad