Player Discussion: Nikita Gusev

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I don't have all the informations yet but it's reflecting badly on Yzerman at the moment. Gusev expressed a certain desire to join the Bolts, now he is on the verge of becoming a superstar in the 2nd most competitive league in the world. I thought his potential was too obvious to be overlooked even 2 years from now. I'm leaning towards a bad asset management, we might have lost a first line winger in the snap of a finger. Not cool.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It is absolutely absurd to criticize Yzerman for a contract offer that probably took place years ago. This is the first year Gusev has produced at a level that made it apparent he was an NHL player.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It is absolutely absurd to criticize Yzerman for a contract offer that probably took place years ago. This is the first year Gusev has produced at a level that made it apparent he was an NHL player.

I'm curious of your criteria now because Gusev's career high in goals is 24 and he grabbed my attention when he was playing very well and scored 21 goals on an awful Yugra team in 2014-2015.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I'm curious of your criteria now because Gusev's career high in goals is 24 and he grabbed my attention when he was playing very well and scored 21 goals on an awful Yugra team in 2014-2015.

I'm going to guess there's some context missing from this post.

(and there it is - 16 assists)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm going to guess there's some context missing from this post.

(and there it is - 16 assists)

Which also led the team. Yugra was tied for the 2nd lowest goal total in the KHL. As you know, you can't assist on anything if you have only 2 other teammates that had 10 or more goals on the season. I'm not trying to context anything he REALLY WAS a good player on a very bad team.

Here's even a few highlights

There's more stuff that's come and gone since then but I kept a quiet eye on him and even my dumb ass realized the kid was a legitimate superstar in the making by even 2015. I only suggested an AHL deal even back in November 2015 because our roster was in such a log jam that it would've just been better for him in the minors so he could get actual playing time and be here in North America. Plus I didn't quite realize how severely overrated a guy like Sergei Plotnikov was when he struggled as much as he did on Pittsburgh and I thought maybe it would be a safe move.

Plus I had the oversized AHL stick up my ass which I have since pulled out and burned in a bonfire

Point is.... Gusev's been a star in the KHL for about 3 years now and the fact we can't make it worth his while to come over with Kucherov banging the drum as much as he does for his buddies is a failure. To think that in 3 years we may not have offered him a deal since or that a deal that WAS offered was insulting enough to have been an AHL only deal like I suggested in 2015 simply we could get him in the organization.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Everyone has wanted Gusev over here, and up until this season I can't think of a year where he would have realistically been able to be guaranteed NHL time, though. And he can only sign two-way or AHL deals (and in 15 he had no track record). So in the past two seasons, where he has shown enough to be given a chance in the NHL, he has instead stayed in the KHL where he is guaranteed top-six time.

This is the first season where Killorn has not looked like a lock for the top 6, and our wings aren't set in stone. So why whinge about previous contract offers to Gusev when (even now) he's not a sure thing? If Yzerman gave Gusev an AHL deal now - sure, rake him over the coals. But he's limited on giving him an ELC (which would be one-year at his age now I believe), which is always going to be a two-way deal. Next season he could give him a non-ELC contract.

Everyone wants Gusev over, at this point almost certainly including Yzerman. But damn - he can't force him to. He's limited both in what he can offer and what Gusev wants.

You're turning into that RT guy who just whines about anything that happens that he doesn't like.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Tell me, how many games did you watch Gusev play the past 3 years ? Be honest. Using Yzerman as a scapegoat is shortsighted, it might depends on other things, the problem in the absolute still lies with the organisation tho. My guess is that they missed their opportunity last year before SKA extended Goose, because it was frigging foreseeable that he was worth a manageable risk, added to the fact that he publicly stated his desire to join Kuch' in Tampa. To make it clearer, do you know how much SKA gave him on his extension last year ? Less than 1 million $/year. He was a manageable risk, period. It's a denial to not admit that the organisation ****ed it up with that kid at some point in the process.

Ps: And it's terrific way to alienate Kucherov who's been literally Gusev's recruiting agent for the past 2 years.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's a denial to not admit that the organisation ****ed it up with that kid at some point in the process.

Not unusual around around here. We can't get out of our own way when it comes to prospects. Although I must say the longer it takes for this for Gusev to come to a deal with SKA the more I think the Lightning are giving him a solid counter offer to consider.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I still fail to see how they messed up with him? The two way part is an ELC, he's going to get that no matter what. The AHL deal could've been a PTO which lasts only 25 games, in that time he could've been offered the ELC, if he played well, or gone back to Russia, if he couldn't adapt. I think they did him a favor because if he signed his ELC years ago he probably wouldn't have gotten the bonus clauses he'll get if he signs now, so more money for him. If he didn't work out and went back to Russia he would be stuck with that contract till he got back and finished it, if he was established he'd be making less money than he should be. Now he's had a chance to fully develop and make money and a chance to make more quicker in the NHL. It wasn't a huge mistake by Yzerman if Gusev never comes over, some players just don't do it.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Man I want to see this kid come over! Friggin beauty! If he were to come over and you guys were able to add another top 4 dman, I don't see how you wouldn't be a favorite. This kid is the real deal. Oh and Brayden Point, watching him on Team Canada...wow, another beauty.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
im waiting on legit sources that hes worked out or working on a new deal till I see it wont believe in stevie not bringing him over at the end of his current deal

hes ready for nhl that was shown in this tournament he has to be on steves radar as a gamer now

Nikita Gucherov

Mar 12, 2015
im waiting on legit sources that hes worked out or working on a new deal till I see it wont believe in stevie not bringing him over at the end of his current deal

hes ready for nhl that was shown in this tournament he has to be on steves radar as a gamer now

Also waiting for a legitimate source. Simply saying "per source" doesn't suffice when it's coming out of Russia.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

as close as he is to kucherov it really surprised me that he is not coming over so well see.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Don't think he's coming over here next season because of the Olympics. If he stays in Russia one more season, competes at the O's at the level he showed at Worlds, he'll be pretty darn near a national hero. And only delay joining the NHL by one season. Many European players take the Olympics (and the World Championships) MUCH more seriously than North America does.

Though, if the KHL is holding back pay.... :dunno:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
KHL can't delay his salary (if that is what is meant), as it is a league, they don't do the payments. And SKA team is too rich to have any debts or delays on salary.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
KHL can't delay his salary (if that is what is meant), as it is a league, they don't do the payments. And SKA team is too rich to have any debts or delays on salary.

Indeed however I do wonder, what's the holdup in getting this new deal done between Gusev and SKA? For the NHL, so many deals can't be struck before July 1st but is that the case with Gusev in Russia?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Indeed however I do wonder, what's the holdup in getting this new deal done between Gusev and SKA? For the NHL, so many deals can't be struck before July 1st but is that the case with Gusev in Russia?

Probably some contract details are still in discussion: bonuses or clauses or something else. Anyway, judging by the reports in Russian medias, Gusev's 2 year deal with SKA is all but official, so I expect it to be announced soon.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Probably some contract details are still in discussion: bonuses or clauses or something else. Anyway, judging by the reports in Russian medias, Gusev's 2 year deal with SKA is all but official, so I expect it to be announced soon.

And as I understand it his previous contract was to be voided effective immediately? Were that the case then it sounds like we Lightning fans have only a year extra to wait since he had another year left on his previous contract.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I don't have all the informations yet but it's reflecting badly on Yzerman at the moment. Gusev expressed a certain desire to join the Bolts, now he is on the verge of becoming a superstar in the 2nd most competitive league in the world. I thought his potential was too obvious to be overlooked even 2 years from now. I'm leaning towards a bad asset management, we might have lost a first line winger in the snap of a finger. Not cool.

What the **** are you even talking about right now?

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
What the **** are you even talking about right now?

People seem to think Gusev was offered an AHL contract after becoming a star with no actual evidence beside a tweet from Joe Smith saying one was offered in the past. He did not say when the contract was offered, so people pounce to conclusions like some sort of savage Cat Bowser pouncing on his prey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad