Player Discussion: Nikita Gusev

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I thought his intriguing progression in the KHL was thread worthy. Still early but the kid is having a great start of season, getting close to that level that draws real interest from the NHL. For some reason more and more Russians have taken the decision to come over lately and the better Gusev plays in the K, the more chance he'll think about testing himself against the best players in the world IMO, it's not all about money.
Today Gusev just scored another goal (with I believe a secondary assist on a goal that was disallowed) against Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. Gusev looks very skilled, he creates instant space with his perfect positioning on the PP and puck handling but he's a definitely a shoot-first winger, a particular mindset we lack with the big club. So far he has 7 points in 6 games.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
that's great... definetely growing to his potential.
Hope he comes back next year and we give him a real shot with the team and his mate Kuch

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
that's great... definetely growing to his potential.
Hope he comes back next year and we give him a real shot with the team and his mate Kuch

Can't see it happening unless he's guaranteed an NHL spot. Unless he changes his mind on that. But it's a little hard to guarantee him an NHL spot with all the guys we've got coming up. Maybe, maybe, when we'll have Palat, TJ, Hedman, and Drouin all starting new contracts in the same year (October, 2017), we'll have to trim so much fat that we'll need a cheap option. It's not hard to imagine we'll be adding $15m+ to the payroll that year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
All we gotta do is keep tabs on him. We can give Gusev a fair chance when his current contract with Ugra expires. Yzerman is gonna have to inevitably cut someone loose unless Stamkos strikes the deal of the century.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Nikita Gusev has received his first call-up to Russia NT, as he was named in the extended roster for the Karjala Cup.

Gusev was also traded to the loaded $KA St. Peterburg now coached by Sergei Zubov. He registered 2 points in his first game but played only 3 minutes on the 4th line in his second one and was healthy scratch the following game, for some reason... Weird it reminds me of something but I'm not sure what...

So far Gusev has 16 points (7+9) in 25 games and +/- plus 6 ratings.

http://ska.ru/en/news/view/nikita-gusiev-v-ska

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think SKA is more loaded than his old team so he's going to have to fight for ice time.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
From the interview with Gusev (link in Russian), when asked about if he had thought about going to the NHL: "Of course, I got it in the plans."

Probably it's the first confirmation of his interest of crossing the pond (apart from coming to the training camp some years ago, of course).

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
He also, in the same interview, mentioned Kucherov and how they talk with one another almost daily because they're best friends. Kucherov keeps telling him to come over since it's such a better game and place to play hockey. Interviewer asked him if he were jealous of Kucherov's success and he said that he wishes him even more success and that he watches all of the Russian players' games in the NHL, but pays closer attention to Kucherov since they're best buds.

I honestly don't think he'll come over unless he has a real shot at making the NHL team. No reason for him to come over and ride a bus in Syracuse working on the NA game. Kucherov did it right. He was motivated to play in the NHL. He came over early to play in the QMJHL and learned the game early. Gusev is simply not motivated enough to try it. Which is fine really.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He also, in the same interview, mentioned Kucherov and how they talk with one another almost daily because they're best friends. Kucherov keeps telling him to come over since it's such a better game and place to play hockey. Interviewer asked him if he were jealous of Kucherov's success and he said that he wishes him even more success and that he watches all of the Russian players' games in the NHL, but pays closer attention to Kucherov since they're best buds.

I honestly don't think he'll come over unless he has a real shot at making the NHL team. No reason for him to come over and ride a bus in Syracuse working on the NA game. Kucherov did it right. He was motivated to play in the NHL. He came over early to play in the QMJHL and learned the game early. Gusev is simply not motivated enough to try it. Which is fine really.

I think playing for the Crunch to work on his North American game before playing with his best friend Kucherov is gonna start sounding a hell of a lot more attractive than sitting on the bench for SKA St. Petersburg as time goes by. He's played in 2 games since being traded there. I know we had Drouin stapled to Brown and Boyle last year but at least we let him actually play in a game.

The Lightning firesale is going to start early if we continue to struggle like this going into the BOG meeting in December and find out what the salary cap is going to be.

Gusev is an amazing prospect and has a spot with his name on it if he wants it. But no one is going to just hand it to him. You gotta prove you can play across the pond first. Kucherov did his month in Syracuse and never looked back

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think playing for the Crunch to work on his North American game before playing with his best friend Kucherov is gonna start sounding a hell of a lot more attractive than sitting on the bench for SKA St. Petersburg as time goes by. He's played in 2 games since being traded there. I know we had Drouin stapled to Brown and Boyle last year but at least we let him actually play in a game.

The Lightning firesale is going to start early if we continue to struggle like this going into the BOG meeting in December and find out what the salary cap is going to be.

Gusev is an amazing prospect and has a spot with his name on it if he wants it. But no one is going to just hand it to him. You gotta prove you can play across the pond first. Kucherov did his month in Syracuse and never looked back

There is no firesale coming.

And whether or not Gusev would be willing to play in Syracuse probably depends mostly on his paycheck. Coming to NA is a gamble for him.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
There is no firesale coming.

And whether or not Gusev would be willing to play in Syracuse probably depends mostly on his paycheck. Coming to NA is a gamble for him.

Firesale was a subjective term, not necessarily us shipping off our best players. No way we give up a guy like Bishop, Hedman or Stamkos like a traditional firesale. Just meant that there's a few VERY obvious cap casualties coming very soon.

If we assume it's December and the Lightning continue to struggle like they have been and are out of playoff contention because we can only beat up on weak teams like Buffalo and Carolina I don't see why we wouldn't trade players while they still have value before they become blatantly obvious cap dumps and we get returns for pennies on the dollar.

Pretty bad word choice on my part.

As for Gusev I think we can make it worth his time. It's a gamble for him to come here, but it won't hurt his track record in Russia if he doesn't work out in North America. He scored 20 goals on a bad team. But if the kid wants to sit on the bench and play twice in 2 weeks after being traded then that's his business. I sincerely doubt that's a future Gusev is looking forward to. Not unless he has an injury I don't know about.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Code:
We should probably not be looking at this guy like he's going to step into the NHL and immediately score 50+ points.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Way too many unknowns. Couldn't agree more.

The ideal plan would be that you sign him to an AHL deal starting next year to see if he can contribute at the North American level. Spend a season in the minors, see what the kid is made of and if he can be a solid contributor to the team 2 years from now.

The cap could stretch to $80 million and I don't think even THAT would be enough to keep everyone around. Safe to say there's gonna be a lot of turnover in a short amount of time. If it affects our top 6, then we best find out if Gusev can be used to fill a space if one is available.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Code:

The ideal plan would be that you sign him to an AHL deal starting next year to see if he can contribute at the North American level. Spend a season in the minors, see what the kid is made of and if he can be a solid contributor to the team 2 years from now.

The cap could stretch to $80 million and I don't think even THAT would be enough to keep everyone around. Safe to say there's gonna be a lot of turnover in a short amount of time. If it affects our top 6, then we best find out if Gusev can be used to fill a space if one is available.

If he's willing to sign an AHL deal. Which hasn't been the case so far.

Point, Peca, and Erne will all be knocking on the door by then too. Gusev, even if he comes over, will just be a candidate.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Code:

May be difficult to convince him to take an AHL paycheque when he can make way more in a better league already.

Why not start him on the 4th line with Namestnikov and let him get his feet wet that way.

The penguins are doing this with Plotnikov. Some guys even adjust quickly like Panarin and Gusev is about as talented as he is

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If he's willing to sign an AHL deal. Which hasn't been the case so far.

Point, Peca, and Erne will all be knocking on the door by then too. Gusev, even if he comes over, will just be a candidate.

Agreed. You don't give him special privileges. Not after the other rookies have paid their dues like this. But it kind of sucks as same the time because of a precedent set by Gusev. His time in Russia gives Gusev a clear advantage over his North American counterparts and I just hope he and his agent would not use that against us in any kind of negotiations. Erne is the only guy I could see going to the KHL and scoring 20 like Gusev did but even then, I don't think he would do it this year. Gusev might've been a 20 goal scorer for Yugra this season had he not been traded. But since being traded to SKA, he either he got hurt or the coaches have not played him.

Right now we can count on Erne slotting in for either Callahan or Killorn in a couple of years in the event of losing either of them. Who would Gusev replace? Your guess is as good as mine. Lucky for us he's not the only prospect we have waiting for us. Brayden Point is burning down the WHL and hopefully our other prospects serve as a proper counterweight in negotiations as we try to lure Nikita overseas.

This is one of those times when I say, "I'm glad I'm not Yzerman"

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
May be difficult to convince him to take an AHL paycheque when he can make way more in a better league already.

Why not start him on the 4th line with Namestnikov and let him get his feet wet that way.

The penguins are doing this with Plotnikov. Some guys even adjust quickly like Panarin and Gusev is about as talented as he is

Pittsburgh and Chicago are great teams that are also in a desperate situations. Plotkinov and Panarin had Pittsburgh and Chicago bent over a barrell asking "Please sir may I have some more?" because they had the most to lose. The Lightning can ill afford to lose their negotiating leverage over Gusev. Plus that's not Yzerman's style. As DFC pointed out, we HAVE other prospects. Point and Erne in particular will be a big boost to our club in 2 years. If Gusev wants to be a part of it he will do what we tell him to or he can stay in Russia. Plain and simple.

Our prospects go through the fire whether they like it or not. If you're a great player like Nikita Kucherov, you do your month in the AHL. When you clearly outperform your teammates and it's welcome to Tampa.

It's up to Gusev

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Pittsburgh and Chicago are great teams that are also in a desperate situations. Plotkinov and Panarin had Pittsburgh and Chicago bent over a barrell asking "Please sir may I have some more?" because they had the most to lose. The Lightning can ill afford to lose their negotiating leverage over Gusev. Plus that's not Yzerman's style. As DFC pointed out, we HAVE other prospects. Point and Erne in particular will be a big boost to our club in 2 years. If Gusev wants to be a part of it he will do what we tell him to or he can stay in Russia. Plain and simple.

Our prospects go through the fire whether they like it or not. If you're a great player like Nikita Kucherov, you do your month in the AHL. When you clearly outperform your teammates and it's welcome to Tampa.

It's up to Gusev

There isn't much leverage. Yzerman would need to sign him by this summer or he becomes a UFA like Panarin and Plotnikov were, albeit undrafted but makes no difference really.

Point will be fresh out of junior and Erne will only have 1 season of AHL under his belt. It's a different scenario coming from the KHL. Gusev is in his 4th season as a pro hockey player in the second best league in the world

Might he need adjustment time in the AHL ? maybe but I'm just saying I doubt he'll come over unless the intention is for him to play in the NHL, not spend a full season in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad