Confirmed with Link: Nikita Gusev 1 Year ELC

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
One of the Russian sports sites people linked on twitter says he’s been released from his contract.

I’ll try to find it somewhere down the timeline.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
One of the Russian sports sites people linked on twitter says he’s been released from his contract.

I’ll try to find it somewhere down the timeline.
Sports-Express reported that it had been terminated, so conflicting reports. We'll see soon.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Can he play either wing? If he can, then take out one of Nosek / Carrier / Reaves (my personal order)

Eakin has shown some offensive promise this year. Having a legit scoring threat on his wing may elevate his game again. Or drop Smith down to the third line to spread the scoring.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
He was invited to the Russian national team today (I think today). It is within CKA's power to hold Gusev to his contract through April 30 and force him to choose the national team over NHL.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
He was invited to the Russian national team today (I think today). It is within CKA's power to hold Gusev to his contract through April 30 and force him to choose the national team over NHL.

And with Russia being the way it is, that is what is going to happen.

Oh well...would've been a nice injection of depth & skill but its a completely different type of hockey he's never played over here. Probably a substantial adjustment period would've been required.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Why would Vegas want to sign him now after the season? It seems to me that would only benefit Gusev and not the team. To sign him as an RFA you would almost assuredly have to trade away a contract to make it work, would you not?

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Why would Vegas want to sign him now after the season? It seems to me that would only benefit Gusev and not the team. To sign him as an RFA you would almost assuredly have to trade away a contract to make it work, would you not?

I really can't see him being much of a factor in the playoffs. This is the most intense time to try to learn to play on small ice.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If he comes over we essentially get him for next season.

At that point it's just a decision as to whether or not you want one of the KHL's most valuable players, 2018-2019 assist leader, and 2018-2019 goals leader to potentially play for you in this season's playoffs.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Meaning that due to his age, he's ours next season due to being an RFA on an ELC after this season and goes to UFA after next season or he's ours next season on an ELC and a UFA afterward.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
It seems the team would want him on an ELC year next year, would they not? How much would it take to sign him as an RFA? Wouldn't he be looking at at least what Kovalchuk signed for? After next year that should not be a problem but next year it seems like it would be.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It seems the team would want him on an ELC year next year, would they not? How much would it take to sign him as an RFA? Wouldn't he be looking at at least what Kovalchuk signed for? After next year that should not be a problem but next year it seems like it would be.
Fairly sure all they've got to do is make him a qualifying offer, don't think they take the KHL salary into account. Even if they did, the KHL salary cap is around 14 million US Dollars, though that's a soft cap. I think SKA pays around 40MM/year in salary.

I'm guessing if he comes, it's a $1MM qualifying offer from VGK, he'll hope for a good season, and then hit UFA.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Fairly sure all they've got to do is make him a qualifying offer, don't think they take the KHL salary into account. Even if they did, the KHL salary cap is around 14 million US Dollars, though that's a soft cap. I think SKA pays around 40MM/year in salary.

I'm guessing if he comes, it's a $1MM qualifying offer from VGK, he'll hope for a good season, and then hit UFA.
OK. That should work out for both sides.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
OK. That should work out for both sides.
He'll take a little cut from what he could likely get from a KHL team next season assuming they'd give him a 1 year contract with the understanding that he'd likely leave once he hits NHL UFA age(it's hard to tell, since there's no KHL Capfriendly,) but he'll show what he can do on the little ice and hope that pans out to NHL UFA interest next offseason. Worst case scenario, he goes back to Russia and makes $5,000,000/season or so playing in the KHL.

It seems like an okay risk for him to take if he thinks he won't Shippy out.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He'll take a little cut from what he could likely get from a KHL team next season assuming they'd give him a 1 year contract with the understanding that he'd likely leave once he hits NHL UFA age(it's hard to tell, since there's no KHL Capfriendly,) but he'll show what he can do on the little ice and hope that pans out to NHL UFA interest next offseason. Worst case scenario, he goes back to Russia and makes $5,000,000/season or so playing in the KHL.

It seems like an okay risk for him to take if he thinks he won't Shippy out.
Also, upon some google searching...apparently the KHL RFA period goes until the age of 28, so he's stuck in a matching situation if he stays over there as well. If it comes down to it and you can hit UFA earlier in the NHL as a solid player, it may make more sense to come over and hit UFA earlier as well as potentially make more money as a UFA a year earlier.

Disclaimer: I'm not a KHL expert, and I'm getting a lot of this from wiki pages and translated articles.

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
This is all very interesting but is he actually in play (potentially), or does the bullshit about the contract and Mother Russia and what not make this moot?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

There's a bit more nuance to the question from the Vegas point of view.

a) Sign Gusev now, burn the one year ELC and Gusev becomes a RFA for 2019-20. Allowing Vegas to sign Gusev immediately to a longer term extension beginning in 2019-20.

b) Sign Gusev to an ELC for 2019-20. Gusev will then be scheduled to become a UFA in 2020 and Vegas can't sign him to an extension until Dec 1st 2019. Increasing the risk that Gusev might leave as a UFA

The potential benefit is what will it take for Vegas to lock Gusev up to a longer term contract after the ELC is done? (a) is more problematic from a Vegas cap standpoint. whereas (b) introduces more risk that Gusev might leave after his ELC.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
There's a bit more nuance to the question from the Vegas point of view.

a) Sign Gusev now, burn the one year ELC and Gusev becomes a RFA for 2019-20. Allowing Vegas to sign Gusev immediately to a longer term extension beginning in 2019-20.

b) Sign Gusev to an ELC for 2019-20. Gusev will then be scheduled to become a UFA in 2020 and Vegas can't sign him to an extension until Dec 1st 2019. Increasing the risk that Gusev might leave as a UFA

The potential benefit is what will it take for Vegas to lock Gusev up to a longer term contract after the ELC is done? (a) is more problematic from a Vegas cap standpoint. whereas (b) introduces more risk that Gusev might leave after his ELC.
Excellent explanation.

Reactions: derriko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad