Confirmed with Link: Nikita Gusev 1 Year ELC

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Even if he were to sign, could he just transition from the KHL rink to an NHL playoff series instantly? But let's say he could do it. You could have a third line of Gusev-Eakin-Tuch. I like the looks of that top 9.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It wouldn't make sense for either party. He's a RFA in the offseason if he signs for this year, so they couldn't afford him next season. He won't have a NTC so he'll have no say where he would get traded to.

If he comes over in September, he'll be on a 1 year ELC. That works with the tight cap space, then they can re-sign him to whatever contract he wants in December complete with a partial NTC.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

GiuDiSta50

Sep 9, 2016
Montreal, QC, CAN
Even if he were to sign, could he just transition from the KHL rink to an NHL playoff series instantly? But let's say he could do it. You could have a third line of Gusev-Eakin-Tuch. I like the looks of that top 9.
I don’t think they will play him on the 3rd line. If they do, they’re morons. He should get 1st-2nd line minutes.

Plus, why is Tuch on the third? He’s one of your best players

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I don’t think they will play him on the 3rd line. If they do, they’re morons. He should get 1st-2nd line minutes.

Plus, why is Tuch on the third? He’s one of your best players
He'd start on the third line to get acclimated to NA ice, & speed(and it's not like Eakin/Haula, & Tuch are scrubs). Tuch's on the third as he has been in a slump since february, add in that Smith has stepped it up around that same time and is better defensively and that's why he's on third.

Reactions: HanSolo

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I think we can safely assume there’s no way Vegas will burn the ELC year so Gusev can learn how to play on small ice during the playoffs.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
SLSGND podcast indicated that if he signs 1 year ELS with VGK and plays at least game, he'll be RFA and can sign more lucrative deal 7/1.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
What benefit is there for the Knights to do that? That would be beyond stupid unless he's getting held hostage by Gusev and his agent. They can't afford to pay him anything beyond the minimum next year so a deal like that could only be to facilitate a trade.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
VGK would be the only team capable of signing him to 8 year deal.

He's not getting an 8 year deal, too old to start his career and he needs to prove himself for a season first. His best hope is play a year, do so well you justify a 4 year deal, 2 at RFA scale. Then he might still be good for one last deal, but probably not a big one due to age. There is a cost to delaying your NHL career.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He could also be interested in taking the Stastny path and wanting to go with shorter deals. He's obviously got the one year left on the table when/if he comes over so that's kind of a moot point. If you've got some faith in your ability, it makes sense to hit UFA often. Especially with a new US TV deal coming up soon.

If the TV deal does go crazy after 21-22, I think there's a few long term guys that will be wishing they took a shorter deal to cash in on a potential major expansion of the salary cap.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
While discussion of a TV deal is outside the scope of this forum, and more relevant in the BOH forum.....

It's unclear how much of an increase the next (US) TV deal will have. (IIRC, the Canadian TV is set for a few more years)

Will it be exclusive (e.g., NBC/NBCSN national games only)? Or will it be shared (e.g., GOTW on ESPN/2, plus coverage on NBCSN/NBC)? And how about the streaming rights?

I get the feeling there will be some increase (5-10%), but nothing like a huge increase. ESPN and TNT/etc are struggling under the costs of NBA and NFL.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He could also be interested in taking the Stastny path and wanting to go with shorter deals. He's obviously got the one year left on the table when/if he comes over so that's kind of a moot point. If you've got some faith in your ability, it makes sense to hit UFA often. Especially with a new US TV deal coming up soon.

If the TV deal does go crazy after 21-22, I think there's a few long term guys that will be wishing they took a shorter deal to cash in on a potential major expansion of the salary cap.
Point of clarification, apparently if he comes in this season (which I don't think will happen) he's an RFA July 1.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I believe he would need to sign and play a regular season game for his one-year ELC to be used up this season. The earliest his KHL season could be finished is April 3rd if SKA gets swept (currently losing 1-0). Game 5 would probably be on April 5th. If it goes past 5 he would not be able to sign this season and use up his ELC since the final regular season game for the Knights is April 6th. I believe he could still sign after the regular season and could play in the playoffs though since he is on the Knights reserve list but that would not count as a year of his ELC.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I believe he would need to sign and play a regular season game for his one-year ELC to be used up this season. The earliest his KHL season could be finished is April 3rd if SKA gets swept (currently losing 1-0). Game 5 would probably be on April 5th. If it goes past 5 he would not be able to sign this season and use up his ELC since the final regular season game for the Knights is April 6th. I believe he could still sign after the regular season and could play in the playoffs though since he is on the Knights reserve list but that would not count as a year of his ELC.

Interesting.

Apparently 10 games this season (regular or playoffs) would burn a year of a 3 year ELC. 9 games or less does not. Not sure for this instance though.

Remember, when Zach Whitecloud signed it burned 1 year of a 3 year ELC, and he only played 1 pro game last year.

I remember hearing that signing for the 2018-2019 season would make him an RFA no matter what.

Last edited:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
It take 10 games to burn a potential slide year of an ELC, which only applies to 18 and 19 year olds.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
SKA just needs to win 1 game and he won't be available to play in the regular season, as I doubt he'll play a back-to-back with a plane ride from Russia to US, and all that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad