Nicolas Aube-Kubel - RW - 5'11" - 187 - Val-d'Or QMJHL - 2014 pick (2-48)

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I wish we had point totals and possession stats to look at to at least provide some objective data to aid discussion of who is “better” than who.

To be honest years ago i didn't know the difference the average fan knows who the stars are and the other guys were just "young players"

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
My current Phantoms Forward rankings - taking into account everything this season - would probably go something like:

Tier 1: Aube-Kubel
Tier 2: Varone, Knight, Vecchione, Martel
Tier 3: Vorobyev, Read, Carey, Bardreau
Tier 4: McDonald, Fazleev, Conner
Tier 5: Goulbourne, Swavely, Krushelynski

Varone is fantastic offensively, but sucks defensively. Which takes him down.
Vorobyev and Read are fantastic defensively. And I think Vorobyev has a lot more offense to give... but he needs linemates who score, he is so pass first.
Conner is ok offensively but a complete liability outside the offensive zone.

If NAK had been given PP time I am pretty sure he would have ~50 points right now. And is superior defensively to Varone.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I would surmise that the Phantoms intentionally make the players they think are legitimate NHL prospects play defensive roles, to instill defensive responsibility in their games in the event they make the Flyers. They let the career-AHLer types play the offensive roles, because they don't view them as future Flyers and, therefore, don't care as much about their two-way play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I would surmise that the Phantoms intentionally make the players they think are legitimate NHL prospects play defensive roles, to instill defensive responsibility in their games in the event they make the Flyers. They let the career-AHLer types play the offensive roles, because they don't view them as future Flyers and, therefore, don't care as much about their two-way play.

I think that's right on point.
They balance three goals, winning, player development and keeping the AHL veterans happy (because they know they're not getting called up).
One reason the young guys don't play on the PP is that it's unlikely they'll do so at the NHL level at first, barring injury, Which means they'll have plenty of time to practice that in the NHL.
But the forwards are more than likely to be in a checking role the day they hit NHL ice (face it, who is going to break into the top 6 as a rookie?).

Lindblom is a perfect example, his defense and board play allows him to immediately play big minutes (15 a night so far) because he can play any role.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with NAK is where do you play him if you bring him up.
He's not going to break the top six, when Simmonds comes back either he or Lindblom will be demoted to the third line.

It's not that NAK couldn't play in the NHL this year, but from a development point of view is he better with big minutes in the AHL or fewer minutes with Filppula (god forbid) or Laughton (who can't set up wingers to save his life).
Everyone complained about Konecny being stuck with these guys (before Patrick was a NHL caliber center), but we should do the same with NAK?

You could put him with Raffl and Laughton in a checking role, where I think he'd excel, but is that the best thing for him? And that may be why Hextall is hesitating, balancing NAK's development in the AHL v an upgrade for the NHL team.

The real solution is to have Frost make the team next year, trade Simmonds for a bottom six winger and draft picks, and put NAK on Frost's line with say Raffl at LW.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
The problem with NAK is where do you play him if you bring him up.
He's not going to break the top six, when Simmonds comes back either he or Lindblom will be demoted to the third line.

It's not that NAK couldn't play in the NHL this year, but from a development point of view is he better with big minutes in the AHL or fewer minutes with Filppula (god forbid) or Laughton (who can't set up wingers to save his life).
Everyone complained about Konecny being stuck with these guys (before Patrick was a NHL caliber center), but we should do the same with NAK?

You could put him with Raffl and Laughton in a checking role, where I think he'd excel, but is that the best thing for him? And that may be why Hextall is hesitating, balancing NAK's development in the AHL v an upgrade for the NHL team.

The real solution is to have Frost make the team next year, trade Simmonds for a bottom six winger and draft picks, and put NAK on Frost's line with say Raffl at LW.
They wont put two rookies on the same line.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Patrick had 50 games under his belt. So yes maybe by the deadline next year NAK could be with Frost (if he even makes the team).
Maybe in the playoffs. I don't think Frost is AHL-eligible next year. Only when juniors season is over.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
What is NAK upside? N.Cousins? Same for the rest or current AHL forwards with exception of Vorobyov.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK is faster and stronger than Cousins with a better shot, I think he's more of a "poor man's Konecny."
He could be a checking forward on the 4th line but is probably skilled enough for the third line, but we'd have to trade Simmonds (or put Voracek back at LW).
Read is a good comp, except Read entered the NHL at age 25 and is 20 lbs lighter.

MV might be Cousins. Martel is a fast Cousins in "honey, I shrunk the forwards."

Vorobyev might be a "poor man's Couts," a big strong defensively responsible center with good vision and passing skills. Think Couts four years ago when he was "merely" a 30 point ES center who played top flight defense.

Knight might be a "rich man's VdV," a 4th line winger with decent skating and limited offensive skills who can play good defense and contribute on the PK.

Reactions: MacDonald4MVP

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So Konecny should go back to the 4th line?
Why would you want NAK to play with centers who won't help him develop, unless you want to use him as a checking forward?
Or do you want Voracek to move back to LW when Simmonds returns, Lindblom and NAK with Filppula?

It's not a matter of typecasting roles, it's a matter of fit and roles.
If NAK plays with Laughton, he's going to be basically a forechecker, look at Raffl with Patrick v Raffl with Laughton.
If NAK plays with Filppula, he's going to have some of the same issues Konecny had.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Laughton has 18 even strength points, Raffl has 17. Why do you call it a “checking line”? If you added NAK with those two guys you would have another really good line that could produce offense and be used for 3rd line minutes. His game is perfectly suited towards playing a bottom 6 role with actual offensive upside. It’s okay to have good role players, I swear.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, that would make sense if Konecny wasn't a guy with top six upside and NAK wasn't a guy with only bottom six upside.

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad