Nicolas Aube-Kubel - RW - 5'11" - 187 - Val-d'Or QMJHL - 2014 pick (2-48)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Maybe AK didn't think to look his direction because he came from half way across the rink to lay into him

But he's not looking anywhere except down. You gotta be aware of your surroundings and what is going on on the ice at all times. If you aren't, you leave yourself open to hits like this. I've not seen a lot of NAK play, and this is the first I've heard of him getting laid out like this, so I am guessing this isn't a big problem with his game, but it still happened. You skate with your head down, any time, you are leaving yourself vulnerable for hits like this (both of the legal and illegal variety).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...s-prospect-nicolas-aube-kubel-out-score-again

"Since I've been drafted, there was depth," he said. "Any way I'm going to play in the NHL, I'm going to make my own spot. No one is going to give it to you. If there are more drafted players, it doesn't change anything."

"This year, I was maybe more focusing on having a role and trying to do what the coach was asking of me," Aube-Kubel said. "Now that it's all set, I'm going to focus on offensive play. I don't want to put pressure on myself, but last year wasn't my best offensive year. It was also my first year. I think I was trying to learn a lot of it and we'll see what happens next year."

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Reactions: whitstifier

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Is he legit and will he be on the team next year?

I doubt he is getting pp time since he has 0 pp points. In contrast, Lindblom has 9 pp points and Martel has 4 points. Based on 5-5 production, I think his 21 points in 29 games is tied with Varone andMartel for top on the Phantoms(Martel has played 3 fewer games than Aube Kubel).

I have always thought highly of NAK. He is a good skater and has good vision and is defensively responsible. Only part of his game I don't like is he takes alot of penalties. I always though he could be a good second line winger but more likely is a good 3rd or fourth line winger. In my opinion, he is much better than Leier or Laughton. He is physically larger than Leier and does not get pushed around on the boards and has a much better shot. He has much better hockey sense than Laughton.

Can someone who watches the phantoms comment?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Does NAK pass up shooting opportunities frequently? His total shots are pretty low?

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Does NAK pass up shooting opportunities frequently? His total shots are pretty low?

He's kind of like Konecny... if his shot is the best shot, he may take it. His shots are typically low percentage. He is starting to drive the net a bit more which is good because his is a similar player to Konecny. For such a prolific scorer in junior, he is a pass first type player

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
He and Leier were the two at camp I thought should get a try with the NHL - visibly faster and more creative than many of their peers

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He and Leier were the two at camp I thought should get a try with the NHL - visibly faster and more creative than many of their peers

His play this year in the AHL has been brilliant.

I mean, I love Lindblom and he has a higher upside (plus has been a bit better than NAK the last ~2 months I think)... but over the season so far NAK has been the Phantoms best player (sans Sanheim now he is down) and the most productive EV player in the WHOLE AHL this year.

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
Has to be a lock for 4th line next year?

Top 6 writes itself and then a lot depends on Simmer.

Raffl Laughton Simmer
Weal MV NAK - 2/3rds of that line depends a lot on Hakhex logic

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Has to be a lock for 4th line next year?

Top 6 writes itself and then a lot depends on Simmer.

Raffl Laughton Simmer
Weal MV NAK - 2/3rds of that line depends a lot on Hakhex logic

It will be hard to keep him off the roster given his AHL play. Real shame he gets no special team time though... he was a great PP+PK player in the Q.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's a lock for next year, the year he's having, there's little value in more AHL time.
And his skill package works on both the 3rd and 4th lines, so he provides flexibility.
Why he isn't on the PK is beyond me, you'd think he'd be perfect to pressure the point and generate SH opportunities.

Bottom six: Frost, Laughton, Raffl, NAK, MV?, Weal? [Simmonds or a forward back in trade]
Vorobyev will probably stay in the AHL, at least to start the season.

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
He should but he's not eligible for waivers next year and that flexibility can work against him.

I would like to see him get work on special teams. That should have happened this year, but here we are...Maybe he gets a bump with Lindblom up.

If he can impress in camp that might also work for us in terms of not allowing Hakhex logic to send him down with being waiver eligible

Last edited:

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
He's a lock for next year, the year he's having, there's little value in more AHL time.
And his skill package works on both the 3rd and 4th lines, so he provides flexibility.
Why he isn't on the PK is beyond me, you'd think he'd be perfect to pressure the point and generate SH opportunities.

Bottom six: Frost, Laughton, Raffl, NAK, MV?, Weal? [Simmonds or a forward back in trade]
Vorobyev will probably stay in the AHL, at least to start the season.

I would love to see Frost (2PPG) make it but not sure they do another Patrick. That said, Patrick has shown what can be achieved with patience. (I know they're not quite the same relative to draft position but I hope they have similar upsides albeit on slightly different timelines)

Top 6 - G Couts TK Lindblom Patrick Jake
Bottom 6 - Weal Frost Raffl (Simmer traded) Weise Laughton NAK Lehtera MV
Top 4 - Ghost Provy Sanheim Gudas
Bottom - Morin Hagg Amac Manning Myers
G - Elliott Mrazek Lyon Stolie

Lots of options which can only be a good thing

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
sad to say but i wish flip or cap'n lethargic were killed or at least maimed in some kind of horrific skate sharpening accident....hahahahah JUST KIDDING!!....(not really):ha:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad