Nicolas Aube-Kubel - RW - 5'11" - 187 - Val-d'Or QMJHL - 2014 pick (2-48)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure what NAK's upside is, he scored 38 goals in both his post-draft seasons and is scoring at a pretty good pace this season.
He may just be one of those guys who needs a couple years to develop his game.
But with Voracek and Konecny in front of him, he's unlikely to see the top six in the foreseeable future on this team.

Magua, I was joking with that phrase, but look up Knight's career, he had a pretty good 20 game stretch in the NHL, then hurt a disk when he was sent back down and that derailed his career for a couple years. But he's playing well in LHV, and has a solid skill set for the fourth line, can score a little, very smart, good defensive player who's a decent skater. We've done worse the last five years.

Raffl has 17 ES points, but how many with Laughton?
Laughton can score, but no one on his line seems to score.
Which is why I think he's a LW playing center.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Viktor Arvidsson

More realistic answer is probably rookie Matt Read. Has a good shot, can score 20 goals, be good in all 3 zones, drive play, kill penalties, good speed.

That’s my opinion anyways
you are not related.. are you..? Kubel will score 30 NHL goals?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Kubel might score 30 goals with the right center. He's fast and can shoot.
I'd say the same with Laughton at LW for the same reason.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What is NAK upside? N.Cousins? Same for the rest or current AHL forwards with exception of Vorobyov.

Cousins is smaller and slower, and got a lot of his points on the PP. He also mainly played center in the AHL whereas Aube-Kubel is a winger.

NAK has 39 ESP in 59 games in his 2nd AHL season.

Cousins had 37 ESP in 64 games in his 2nd AHL season.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Cousins is smaller and slower, and got a lot of his points on the PP. He also mainly played center in the AHL whereas Aube-Kubel is a winger.

Guessing NAK has a much higher % of primary points

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Kubel might score 30 goals with the right center. He's fast and can shoot.
I'd say the same with Laughton at LW for the same reason.
I don't know about 30 goals, but I've always thought he was NHL material. In Jr, he reminded me of Justin Williams in his ability to make a play out of nothing. Very creative and resourceful, like Konecny in that way. Now he's so strong he's built more like Recchi - a tank who can take the puck to the net. Because he's going to be a 3/4 RW at best, he needs to learn to play D and to keep hitting. Would love to see a call up, but the roster is jammed with crap like Weise, Lehtera and Weal now, so maybe next year.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017

so we are talking 2pts in 5 games difference??

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Slowly but surely the 2014 class is coming together.

Friedman should be an NHLer in a lesser role. Fazleev is fodder but he was still a decent pick

Last edited:
Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK sorta flatlined in junior, solid D+1 season, then a repeat D+2, a meh first AHL season, then solid improvement his second season.

Watching him, he's a lot like Leier in that both are fast, but both seem a bit stiff offensively

The difference is NAK is a bowling ball of hate, supposedly up to 5'11 205, likes to hit (maybe too much given the suspensions) and should at least be a solid 4th line forechecker. If he can bring that, and play the PK, that will buy him time to refine his offense at the NHL level.
As Raffl has shown, that can work if you work hard to gain pucks and play with linemates who can feed you opportunities.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
All of those qualities that Hakstol supposedly wanted in fourth liners, NAK had in spades. Made no sense that he didn't play him more. I guess he had too much skill.
He played lehtera for his entire tenure and vdv before him. Him and hexy were match made in heaven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad