Nico v. Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Yeah, that's the thing I'm trying to weigh. There is something to be said about all those soft tissue injuries at such a young age. However, how much stock should we put into it if none of them should impact him down the road? I will say that I couldn't care less about the two broken collarbones he suffered at 13 and 14 years old.

Yeah, broken collarbones can heal up over time. I am a huge Lions fan for football and people were saying Stafford was made of glass because he broke it twice at a young age. He ended up being one of the iron men on Detroit. Patrick I am hoping gets over his injuries as well, which is why I wouldn't be against him starting the league on the fourth line center to reduce his minutes and get him ready for harder competition. You never want good players injured.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah, broken collarbones can heal up over time. I am a huge Lions fan for football and people were saying Stafford was made of glass because he broke it twice at a young age. He ended up being one of the iron men on Detroit. Patrick I am hoping gets over his injuries as well, which is why I wouldn't be against him starting the league on the fourth line center to reduce his minutes and get him ready for harder competition. You never want good players injured.

I think it was the Hockey News draft preview, his dad Steve (ex NHLer) said Nolan was playing one or two years above his age when he was younger, which could also contribute to bigger guys hammering him into the boards and breaking his collarbone.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I think it was the Hockey News draft preview, his dad Steve (ex NHLer) said Nolan was playing one or two years above his age when he was younger, which could also contribute to bigger guys hammering him into the boards and breaking his collarbone.

And I'd imagine that there's always the probability of wearing a target on his back... that comes with being both the markedly better Player that you want to eliminate/deter/slow-down in trying to get the upper hand in the Game... and the talented Player that all others want to use to gain a step in their development... like beating the fastest gun in the West, so to speak.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

My one major sports injury was a broken leg when I was 10 and got kicked in the shin by a much bigger 12 year old who was in my class at school cause I was smart and he was dumb.

Letting us play soccer without shin pads wasn't the teacher's best idea.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
this would make a lot of sense. I was playing varsity hockey as a freshman and while I had size I didn't have the strength of the guys who were juniors and seniors. I separated a shoulder and broke my wrist that year and those were the only injuries I had in high school hockey. once I got stronger and grew into my size the injuries stopped. since none of Patrick's injuries were chronic, it doesn't really trouble me. as he continues to fill out into his adult frame I don't think he'll have the same problems.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
My gut feeling that Hischier goes #1 overall keeps getting stronger and stronger, especially as I watch more '16-17 video of him and Patrick. Coming off the surgery, Patrick didn't quite have the speed or the strength to always do what he wanted to do and create space in the prime areas, especially with 2-3 bodies always around him. I would even say he was often frustrating to watch. Part of that is because he's such a mentally advanced player that he's always in position to anticipate the right play, but didn't physically execute and convert opportunities at the level you would expect.

Hischier's skating/stick-handling/passing, on the other hand, let him push the puck and create controlled zone entry seemingly at will. When you compare that with Patrick's ordinary skating ability, lengthy injury history and lesser production this year, I think a combo of perceived upside and risk aversion will lead Jersey to an "upset" selection. Hischier has nothing but good buzz around him all season, while Patrick basically had the air taken out of his tires.

Ultimately Patrick and the Flyers are going to be the beneficiaries of this, I believe. He's close to being a perfect fit and probably the top talent in this draft class. Complete recovery from a sports hernia surgery takes closer to a full year or more. Assuming he is cleared as pain-free, Patrick should be entering that full year window right around now through training camp (he had lingering issues last year). That kind of injury, combined with the loss of talent Brandon suffered, puts his 100-point pace from last year in new perspective and is a testament to his hockey IQ. His headiness at both ends of the ice as a teenager will be reminiscent of Sean Couturier in his early pro career, and the depth he creates for the Flyers at C ought to significantly tilt puck possession in their favor. Add his heavy shot and accurate one-timer and he has goal-scoring tools that Couturier lacks.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I remain uncommitted I don't have a favorite after doing alot of research I like both players and we will be getting a highly skilled talented player. both players have different strengths and weaknesses but both would fit in here well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My gut feeling that Hischier goes #1 overall keeps getting stronger and stronger, especially as I watch more '16-17 video of him and Patrick. Coming off the surgery, Patrick didn't quite have the speed or the strength to always do what he wanted to do and create space in the prime areas, especially with 2-3 bodies always around him. I would even say he was often frustrating to watch. Part of that is because he's such a mentally advanced player that he's always in position to anticipate the right play, but didn't physically execute and convert opportunities at the level you would expect.

Hischier's skating/stick-handling/passing, on the other hand, let him push the puck and create controlled zone entry seemingly at will. When you compare that with Patrick's ordinary skating ability, lengthy injury history and lesser production this year, I think a combo of perceived upside and risk aversion will lead Jersey to an "upset" selection. Hischier has nothing but good buzz around him all season, while Patrick basically had the air taken out of his tires.

Ultimately Patrick and the Flyers are going to be the beneficiaries of this, I believe. He's close to being a perfect fit and probably the top talent in this draft class. Complete recovery from a sports hernia surgery takes closer to a full year or more. Assuming he is cleared as pain-free, Patrick should be entering that full year window right around now through training camp (he had lingering issues last year). That kind of injury, combined with the loss of talent Brandon suffered, puts his 100-point pace from last year in new perspective and is a testament to his hockey IQ. His headiness at both ends of the ice as a teenager will be reminiscent of Sean Couturier in his early pro career, and the depth he creates for the Flyers at C ought to significantly tilt puck possession in their favor. Add his heavy shot and accurate one-timer and he has goal-scoring tools that Couturier lacks.

I'm starting to lean Patrick more as well. It's a tough call still though.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
We all saw how different G & Ghost were after the same surgery Nolan had (Hernia) They say it takes a year~ until you are back to 100%

With that said, seeing Nolan match his pace from the previous year on a much worse team is impressive.

Of course this is my opinion, but you take that injury away and how likely is it he increases on his 1.4ppg pace? I would bet he would have taken the next step.

So with all the speculation about NJ taking Nico, we could be incredibly lucky to have what may have been the real, consensus #1 pick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We all saw how different G & Ghost were after the same surgery Nolan had (Hernia) They say it takes a year~ until you are back to 100%

With that said, seeing Nolan match his pace from the previous year on a much worse team is impressive.

Of course this is my opinion, but you take that injury away and how likely is it he increases on his 1.4ppg pace? I would bet he would have taken the next step.

So with all the speculation about NJ taking Nico, we could be incredibly lucky to have what may have been the real, consensus #1 pick.

FWIW, Button has Patrick as his top prospect but NJ taking Nico. Works for me!

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Hmm so a potential all-star caliber C or a potential all-star caliber C?

Man this is TOUGH.

I honestly don't care who we get.

bige120291

Apr 30, 2017
Yep, getting a better prospect than we would at our pre-lottery spot no matter what. Plus, a player who has a really good chance of making an impact right away.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Thread almost at its limit.. will be interesting to see everyones pick on who they want now after letting the dust settle

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nolan looked to be in red-cheeked good health at the intermission of the Memorial Cup game.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Other than finding out correct current measurements everything else isn't really that valuable to me as a fan.

The best part though is probably seeing all the bros on hese forums freak out because a skinny 18 year old didn't do a lot of pull ups or bench presses. Not knowing or ignoring that there's a strict standard for form when doing them which keeps the count low too.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Other than finding out correct current measurements everything else isn't really that valuable to me as a fan.

The best part though is probably seeing all the bros on here freak out because a skinny 18 year old didn't do a lot of pull ups or bench presses. Not knowing or ignoring that there's a strict standard for form when doing them which keeps the count low too.

That's easily the best.

The main board freaking out about Sam Bennett not being able to do a pull up was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad