Recalled/Assigned: Nicklas Jensen sent down

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He struggled for some time earlier this season. It's hard to make any comparison when we have a tendency to be overly conservative with our rookies. Saad is getting top tier minutes to create offense and making the most of it. Be mindful his stats are likely padded by an overachieving Chicago team. Jensen will be fine and has dominated almost every league he's played in. He just needs a little more seasoning and hopefully ample time on a scoring line when he does make the jump.

I don't mean to jump on you, but I don't understand the Saad comment. The fact that Chicago is the top team in the league with Saad as a regular contributor doesn't diminish his stats - it makes them even more meaningful since he has had to crack a line-up that clearly doesn't have room to carry players who aren't ready to contribute on their own merit. It is the opposite argument by those who try to say Grabner isn't as good as his stats say, since he gets to do it on a terrible NYI team where he isn't held accountable for things like defense and systems play. So which way is it - are players on good teams overachieving b/c they are on good teams, or are players on bad teams overachieving b/c they are on bad teams? Because it sure seems like everyone who isn't a player on the Vancouver Canucks is saddled with some reason why they aren't really as good as their stats show.

Again, not to jump on you, you just happened to make the comment that made me notice this funny contradiction around here ...

Nov 1, 2011
No room for Jensen in the NHL. He needs seasoning time in the A.

Maybe a 4th line call up playoff time?

I'm not really sure what Jensen would bring in a 4th line role. The kid is not ready to make an impact at the NHL level...and that's okay.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm not really sure what Jensen would bring in a 4th line role. The kid is not ready to make an impact at the NHL level...and that's okay.

Yeah. Pretty much. That's just not the sort of player he is, and it seems silly to put him in that role.

If things were to get desperate in a top-6/9 scoring role though...Jensen is up to bat, ready or not. He's the closest thing we have to filling that role.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Half the NHL passed on him after us, so I think he's just turned out better than most people expected, including Chicago.

I'd take Jensen over Chicago's 1st round pick (McNeill) anyway.

I hate this when you see it. Everyone goes "we should have taken X" 3 years after the fact. Fair enough to scream about it on draft day, but I don't remember a whole lot of "we should have taken Brandon Saad" threads after the 2011 draft.

Lemurion

Mar 10, 2011
i am not going to have patience with Ebbett playing over Schreoder Master Po.

Ebbett's not playing over Shroeder, Roy is. Ebbett and Shroeder have different skills, and right now the team has a greater need for Ebbett's skills than Shroeder's. The Nucks need a 3C who kills penalties more than an offensive 3C - Shroeder's better at what he does than Ebbett is at what he does, but not at what AV is using Ebbett for.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If Jensen plays well in Chicago and scores some goals, he's a guy you bring up in the middle of a playoff series when the team is having trouble scoring.

He was really invisible up here, but I'm still excited for his future.

Wizeman*

The kid can play. He's just not ready to honestly contribute to a stanley cup contender yet.

LightningBurrows

ThreatLevelMidnight
Jan 3, 2009
Vancouver BC
Ebbett's not playing over Shroeder, Roy is. Ebbett and Shroeder have different skills, and right now the team has a greater need for Ebbett's skills than Shroeder's. The Nucks need a 3C who kills penalties more than an offensive 3C - Shroeder's better at what he does than Ebbett is at what he does, but not at what AV is using Ebbett for.

Ebbett is terrible on the PK though and worse defensively than Schroeder so it just seems silly to keep Ebbett in.

If Ebbett blocked shots on the PK and sacrificed his body, I could see the appeal of keeping Schroeder in the AHL so as not to risk injury but, Ebbett doesn't do that.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
He wasn't ready. Good experience though.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of his season goes down with the Wolves.

Definitely the Canucks top prospect and progressing quite well at this point given the leagues he has played in what should be his final junior year.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

that's the very reason why i want Shreoder on the Canucks over Ebbett... Ebbett sucks on the PK and i would not want him there in the playoffs.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Someone hasn't learned from the Canucks lack of playoff success.

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
I have plenty. Read my initial post above. I was merely voicing concerns with AV.

Your list is disingenuous and presumes a great many players on our roster would toil in mediocrity were it not for sagely input from AV. While he undoubtedly had some influence on their development, I question how much with say, Kesler, and those of similar caliber. AV was and has been immensely criticized for his handling of Hodgson. And he does not even coach the Sedins, they do everything themselves.

Regardless, this is not the thread for an AV analysis. You want that, we have one where his coaching and youth development have been called into question ad nauseum.

How so? Schroeder was put in a position he had no chance of succeeding - man the point on our powerplay and centre the fourth line with riffraff. Not so coincidentally, he excelled when playing with Raymond and Hansen. Sure, there were poor showings, but that is natural. You cannot scrutinize and punish rookies for every little mistake. Given time any player will suffer a loss of confidence when put under those circumstances. Barry Melrose practically crushed Stamkos' by burying him on the fourth line for no reason other than to pacify his own ego. There is a reason he exploded only after Melrose was fired that same season.

Saying a player loses confidence does not make them mental fragile. It's simply fact.

Ummm, yeah, that list is pretty long eh?

Got a similar list of players that have gotten worse after joining the Canucks? Kieth Ballard is the only one, and it is pretty clear that he hasn't been the same since he almost decapitated Vokun, so is that Vignaults problem. His job is to win games not coddle prospects and noone in the NHL has done it better over the last 5-6 seasons.

Where are all of the first round picks he ruined? There are none. Your just hand wringing, clearly you know nothing about player development, unless a guy is a top 5 pick he is going to need to be brought along slowly, everyone knows that.

Heck, I could have thrown in Sammy too, clearly he was a better player for us than he has been before or since.

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
Your list is disingenuous and presumes a great many players on our roster would toil in mediocrity were it not for sagely input from AV. While he undoubtedly had some influence on their development, I question how much with say, Kesler, and those of similar caliber. AV was and has been immensely criticized for his handling of Hodgson. And he does not even coach the Sedins, they do everything themselves.

Regardless, this is not the thread for an AV analysis. You want that, we have one where his coaching and youth development have been called into question ad nauseum.

How so? Schroeder was put in a position he had no chance of succeeding - man the point on our powerplay and centre the fourth line with riffraff. Not so coincidentally, he excelled when playing with Raymond and Hansen. Sure, there were poor showings, but that is natural. You cannot scrutinize and punish rookies for every little mistake. Given time any player will suffer a loss of confidence when put under those circumstances. Barry Melrose practically crushed Stamkos' by burying him on the fourth line for no reason other than to pacify his own ego. There is a reason he exploded only after Melrose was fired that same season.

Saying a player loses confidence does not make them mental fragile. It's simply fact.

AV is a part of the development team here and you cannot dismiss that or the work of other staff. Fact is that list of players is long and homegrown. End of story.

Comparing AV to Melrose? I hope not. Also comparing Stamkos to any prospect we have ever had is disingenuous, if that's what you are doing.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Your post is wholly contradictory. Would have been more credible without the last sentence.

No it's not. Maybe having a taste of the NHL plus a few more weeks in the AHL would provide the seasoning needed. Not going to see him on the fourth line I doubt, but it's not inconceivable that Jensen could return for the playoffs and be better able to handle it. Not counting on it, but it's certainly possible.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
No it's not. Maybe having a taste of the NHL plus a few more weeks in the AHL would provide the seasoning needed. Not going to see him on the fourth line I doubt, but it's not inconceivable that Jensen could return for the playoffs and be better able to handle it. Not counting on it, but it's certainly possible.

I agree with your viewpoint. Jensen is one of very, very few prospects with high offensive potential. I think giving him the couple games was good to show him what he needs to master in the A to get another call up.

I'm really happy that the rumours of him being lazy on the ice were totally false, I haven't seen that at all from him in any Chicago or Canucks game. The early chemistry we saw in the Oilers game with Kassian though... man, that's stupid exciting.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I hate this when you see it. Everyone goes "we should have taken X" 3 years after the fact. Fair enough to scream about it on draft day, but I don't remember a whole lot of "we should have taken Brandon Saad" threads after the 2011 draft.

Good point. I don't remember anyone at all saying that, actually.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
2g and 2a's in 14gp is pretty bad..

Don't really know what to expect from the kid.
He's getting crushed by his coach, playing fourth line minutes in a depth role. The Wolves are imploding and the coach is leaning heavily on his regular roster. Pro rookies on that team aren't going to get a fair shake in the A until next season.

He had a had a good season and his contract is sliding. Nothing to panic about. Reset with the new farm club next year.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
2g and 2a's in 14gp is pretty bad..

Don't really know what to expect from the kid.

It'll be an adjustment. I wouldn't put too much stock into his offensive output the remainder of the season. He's playing in a role and with linemates he's not suited to.

Just hope he can start to look a bit more comfortable, and improve his play away from the puck.

Alflives*

He's getting crushed by his coach, playing fourth line minutes in a depth role. The Wolves are imploding and the coach is leaning heavily on his regular roster. Pro rookies on that team aren't going to get a fair shake in the A until next season.

He had a had a good season and his contract is sliding. Nothing to panic about. Reset with the new farm club next year.

You make it sound like the Chicago coach is punishing Jensen, and doing so, at the team's potential to win. That makes no sense. Coaches want to win, and the Chicago Wolve's coach is playing those guys who give his team the best chance to win. It anything, the Canuck's management is insisting Jensen stays in the line-up, even those his play doesn't deserve it.

thedavid

Jan 26, 2012
Vancouver
You make it sound like the Chicago coach is punishing Jensen, and doing so, at the team's potential to win. That makes no sense. Coaches want to win, and the Chicago Wolve's coach is playing those guys who give his team the best chance to win. It anything, the Canuck's management is insisting Jensen stays in the line-up, even those his play doesn't deserve it.

Guys like Tiranis and orcatown who have been watching the Wolves all year would probably disagree with you on that one. :laugh:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

What you say is completely true. However, you're missing the fact that Arneil is completely incompetent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad