Recalled/Assigned: Nicklas Jensen sent down

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Makes sense. It's too bad they had to use one of their 4 call ups on him just for a game.

Oh well, there are only 11 games left so they should be fine with the 2 they have left.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
He wasn't ready. Good experience though.

Sucks that we passed on Brandon Saad. He's lighting it up with Chicago.

You gotta wonder though, would Saad get the same opportunities in our organization that he is in Chicago?

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Looked a little lost out there last night, this is a good move.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He wasn't ready. Good experience though.

Sucks that we passed on Brandon Saad. He's lighting it up with Chicago.

Will always be the comparison. However, I wouldn't be disappointed just yet. A long way to go before deciding that particular trade off.

My guess is Raymond is back, so it was time. Jensen will be back up eventually.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
He looked good. Defensive stick work was very high level, needs some more time in the A but I can certainly see him as a top 6 forward in the future if he keeps progressing.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
They just want him to play big minutes. Vancouver's top 3 lines are deep enough that he wouldn't get the playing time he needs to progress. I liked what I saw from him and think he'll be a regular next year.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Makes sense. It's too bad they had to use one of their 4 call ups on him just for a game.

Oh well, there are only 11 games left so they should be fine with the 2 they have left.

Jensen was called up on Monday - I thought the call up limit doesn't start until the deadline?

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Jensen was called up on Monday - I thought the call up limit doesn't start until the deadline?

Yep, the limit only applies from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Well you dont want to burn an entry level year unless you really need to, so it probably is a good move.

He looks big out there, he seemed to have good hockey sense but is just in over his head this year. Remember Hodgsons first year callup he looked almost the same, just not sure where to go yet.

Im excited about Jensen, Gaunce and Corrado for the future.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think even saad looked that great in the beginning of the year. He started lighting it up at the later part of the year. Who knows what Jensen could have done if he started with the team from the beginning of the season.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I'm surprised he got a cup of coffee already. Hasn't even played a full-season in the AHL yet.

It was a good first look.

arsmaster*

Raymond and Weise are supposedly back. Sure would have liked to see him against Calgary.

Oh well, he's got the taste...it's in his court to get back this year.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
You gotta wonder though, would Saad get the same opportunities in our organization that he is in Chicago?

why not? chicago has a stacked team and he still gets put on the top 6. we have injured players and can us someone like that. only problem is AV and his impatience with rookies.

i like Jensen though. Saad is playing with elite players and really benefiting in his development.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
why not? chicago has a stacked team and he still gets put on the top 6. we have injured players and can us someone like that. only problem is AV and his impatience with rookies.

i like Jensen though. Saad is playing with elite players and really benefiting in his development.

sounds like you're the impatient one, grasshopper.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Yep, the limit only applies from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season.

Which is why he was called up. Players sent down after the deadline don't count towards the 4 call ups.

Players can't be loaned to the AHL after the deadline unless they're also called up after the deadline. In order to preserve his post-deadline loan eligibility, the Canucks did a paper transaction where he was sent down prior to 12:00 PDT and then recalled right after the deadline:

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php?f_season_id=40&f_team_id=330

That recall used 1 of the 4 call ups and Kassian used another, so they have 2 left. Probably not a big deal though because of the shorter post-deadline period (25 days as opposed to the normal 40 days) and the fact that if they really run into trouble they can still do emergency call ups if they fall below a 20 man roster.

No matter what Gillis does he'll never match the ineptitude of Nonis in 2008 burning 3 of his 4 call ups shuttling Nathan McIver back and forth between the Moose and the Canucks (and he didn't even suit up 2 of those times). That's one of the reasons the Canucks were so short of players at the end of that year. I honestly think he simply didn't understand how the rule worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad