Recalled/Assigned: Nicklas Jensen sent down

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Players can't be loaned to the AHL after the deadline unless they're also called up after the deadline. In order to preserve his post-deadline loan eligibility, the Canucks did a paper transaction where he was sent down prior to 12:00 PDT and then recalled right after the deadline:

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php?f_season_id=40&f_team_id=330

That recall used 1 of the 4 call ups and Kassian used another, so they have 2 left. Probably not a big deal though because of the shorter post-deadline period (25 days as opposed to the normal 40 days) and the fact that if they really run into trouble they can still do emergency call ups if they fall below a 20 man roster.

http://nhl.si.com/2013/04/02/new-cba-removes-major-ahl-roster-hurdle-from-nhl-trade-deadline-day/

pretty sure this isnt the case anymore

And now? NHL clubs still have to decide which eligible players they want to participate in the chase for the Calder Cup, but they won’t have to worry about the paper transactions — sending players down to the A and then recalling them in time to play that night — that used to take up valuable time on the busiest day of the year.

More importantly, the four recalls limitation is gone, which benefits both the parent and farm club.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not surprising. Wasn't quite ready yet. But seeing him out there in the NHL, he may not be as far off as some have suggested.

I think we see him getting some significant games in next year, probably shuttled up and down from the AHL as injuries occur and spots open up temporarily. Basically like Schroeder has been this year.

Just needs to learn to work with less time and space that he's going to get in the NHL. And that sort of thing...it could be a light switch moment, who really knows. And a summer of hard training could really benefit him as well.

Exciting to get a look, and good for him getting a taste of where he needs to be and what he needs to improve. Happy with his showing.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Players can't be loaned to the AHL after the deadline unless they're also called up after the deadline. In order to preserve his post-deadline loan eligibility, the Canucks did a paper transaction where he was sent down prior to 12:00 PDT and then recalled right after the deadline:

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php?f_season_id=40&f_team_id=330

That recall used 1 of the 4 call ups and Kassian used another, so they have 2 left. Probably not a big deal though because of the shorter post-deadline period (25 days as opposed to the normal 40 days) and the fact that if they really run into trouble they can still do emergency call ups if they fall below a 20 man roster.

No matter what Gillis does he'll never match the ineptitude of Nonis in 2008 burning 3 of his 4 call ups shuttling Nathan McIver back and forth between the Moose and the Canucks (and he didn't even suit up 2 of those times). That's one of the reasons the Canucks were so short of players at the end of that year. I honestly think he simply didn't understand how the rule worked.

It could have been worse, we could have been Calgary, and not left enough cap space to recall players for injury.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
be patient with him, develop him slowly. Our prospect depth is terrible we can't screw him up.

Good size, good skill, he'll be a good player. no need to rush him. Let him marinate.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

I think that article is flat out incorrect. The MOU still has the 4 recall rule being in effect and during Nonis' press conference after the deadline he explained how post deadline recalls work and what he said matched what the MOU says exactly. Teams are allowed 4 recalls up to the playoffs and after that they're allowed as many recalls as they want as long as no more than 3 players recalled after the deadline are on the roster at any given time. And obviously that all only applies as long as the affiliate's playing season is still going on.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
why not? chicago has a stacked team and he still gets put on the top 6. we have injured players and can us someone like that. only problem is AV and his impatience with rookies.

i like Jensen though. Saad is playing with elite players and really benefiting in his development.

They pulled Kassian off the first line despite it working to put Burrows back there. We have lots of solid 2-way vets and AV will okay them over rookies. It's just the way this organisation works.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He wasn't ready. Good experience though.

Sucks that we passed on Brandon Saad. He's lighting it up with Chicago.

He struggled for some time earlier this season. It's hard to make any comparison when we have a tendency to be overly conservative with our rookies. Saad is getting top tier minutes to create offense and making the most of it. Be mindful his stats are likely padded by an overachieving Chicago team. Jensen will be fine and has dominated almost every league he's played in. He just needs a little more seasoning and hopefully ample time on a scoring line when he does make the jump.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
They pulled Kassian off the first line despite it working to put Burrows back there. We have lots of solid 2-way vets and AV will okay them over rookies. It's just the way this organisation works.

And I find this disconcerting. We need to give our rookies the chance to succeed and AV seems content with doing the exact opposite. Given our horrid inconsistency this season I can appreciate rotating Burrows back on the top line, however at some point you need to allow the kids to work through the challenges. They will have slumps, it's apart of the game. If they get demoted almost immediately as we have witness AV do. It will shatter their confidence. Schroeder has that exact issue earlier this season because AV somehow convinced himself Ebbett was a better choice.

It is among my biggest concerns with AV.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
And I find this disconcerting. We need to give our rookies the chance to succeed and AV seems content with doing the exact opposite. Given our horrid inconsistency this season I can appreciate rotating Burrows back on the top line, however at some point you need to allow the kids to work through the challenges. They will have slumps, it's apart of the game. If they get demoted almost
immediately as we have witness AV do. It will shatter their confidence. Schroeder has that exact issue earlier this season because AV somehow convinced himself Ebbett was a better choice.

Patience grasshopper. Expect to see lots of kids incorporated over the next 2 -3 years.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Sedins were making Kassian work, but they weren't looking great. Burrows makes the Sedins work better in a way that Kassian just doesn't. Maybe in the future, but for now, Sedins + Burrows >>> Sedins + Kassian.

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
And I find this disconcerting. We need to give our rookies the chance to succeed and AV seems content with doing the exact opposite. Given our horrid inconsistency this season I can appreciate rotating Burrows back on the top line, however at some point you need to allow the kids to work through the challenges. They will have slumps, it's apart of the game. If they get demoted almost immediately as we have witness AV do. It will shatter their confidence. Schroeder has that exact issue earlier this season because AV somehow convinced himself Ebbett was a better choice.

Seriously? Players that AV has developed since he joined the organization

Prospects Still With Team:

Schnieder
Edler
Bieksa
Hansen
Kesler
Tanev
Raymond
Burrows

Works in progress:

Schroeder
Kassian
Jensen

Excelling For Other Teams:

Hodgson
Grabner
Volpatti

Players Rescued From Oblivion:

Higgins
Lapeirre

And the Sedins have matured into legitimate stars, something Burke and Crow failed at because they crushed their confidence by rushing them into the NHL before they were ready.

Find me another coach not named Babcock who can claim the same kind of player development success without multiple first overall picks? We have the best player development in the NHL, deal with it!

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
He looked good. Defensive stick work was very high level, needs some more time in the A but I can certainly see him as a top 6 forward in the future if he keeps progressing.

I was chatting with a friend saying that you can tell who was developed through the CAnucks system because of the little things like defensive stick work. Wish we could send KAssian back down for a bit to work on that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Realistically speaking, Kassian was looking the best he ever has alongside the Twins...

But do you not recall that stretch late last year where Lapierre was riding shotgun with the Twins, scoring goals, looking beast?

We've seen countless times over the years that the Sedins can make a lot of players look good if brief stints. Burrows is really the first situation where we've genuinely seen another player simultaneously make the Sedins look better.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
i am not going to have patience with Ebbett playing over Schreoder Master Po.

Place filler since the centres are filled with Kesler back soon. We won't see him next year. Cap will start forcing the nucks to start playing the kids unless they try and retain Booth, in which case $800k kids will cost too much.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Patience grasshopper. Expect to see lots of kids incorporated over the next 2 -3 years.

I have plenty. Read my initial post above. I was merely voicing concerns with AV.

Seriously? Players that AV has developed since he joined the organization

Prospects Still With Team:

Schnieder
Edler
Bieksa
Hansen
Kesler
Tanev
Raymond
Burrows

Works in progress:

Schroeder
Kassian
Jensen

Excelling For Other Teams:

Hodgson
Grabner
Volpatti

Players Rescued From Oblivion:

Higgins
Lapeirre

And the Sedins have matured into legitimate stars, something Burke and Crow failed at because they crushed their confidence by rushing them into the NHL before they were ready.

Find me another coach not named Babcock who can claim the same kind of player development success without multiple first overall picks? We have the best player development in the NHL, deal with it!

Your list is disingenuous and presumes a great many players on our roster would toil in mediocrity were it not for sagely input from AV. While he undoubtedly had some influence on their development, I question how much with say, Kesler, and those of similar caliber. AV was and has been immensely criticized for his handling of Hodgson. And he does not even coach the Sedins, they do everything themselves.

Regardless, this is not the thread for an AV analysis. You want that, we have one where his coaching and youth development have been called into question ad nauseum.

You make these guys sound so fragile, a bunch of delicate petunias.

How so? Schroeder was put in a position he had no chance of succeeding - man the point on our powerplay and centre the fourth line with riffraff. Not so coincidentally, he excelled when playing with Raymond and Hansen. Sure, there were poor showings, but that is natural. You cannot scrutinize and punish rookies for every little mistake. Given time any player will suffer a loss of confidence when put under those circumstances. Barry Melrose practically crushed Stamkos' by burying him on the fourth line for no reason other than to pacify his own ego. There is a reason he exploded only after Melrose was fired that same season.

Saying a player loses confidence does not make them mental fragile. It's simply fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->