Recalled/Assigned: Nicklas Jensen Recalled from Utica (11/28)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought he was pretty bad, had bad awareness and anticipation throughout the game and looked to have tunnel vision a few too many times

Yeah, it wasn't a good game for him.

He had one nice backcheck that was noted on the broadcast but also one bad turnover where he threw the puck aimlessly into the middle of the ice and was lucky an odd-man rush didn't result.

But for an offensive player, he has to find ways to contribute and was just ineffective and easily eliminated from the play. Not a factor at all.

Guys don't just get gifted top-6 minutes for franchises that aren't Edmonton. You have to show you can contribute from different spots in the lineup.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Yeah, it wasn't a good game for him.

He had one nice backcheck that was noted on the broadcast but also one bad turnover where he threw the puck aimlessly into the middle of the ice and was lucky an odd-man rush didn't result.

But for an offensive player, he has to find ways to contribute and was just ineffective and easily eliminated from the play. Not a factor at all.

Guys don't just get gifted top-6 minutes for franchises that aren't Edmonton. You have to show you can contribute from different spots in the lineup.

Yup, he basically has a nice wrist shot and not much else. It's why I barely wanted him in the Top 10 prospects (I think I had him 9th, after Subban). I struggle to see a path to him being an NHL player.

Contrast him with Horvat, who is younger, less experienced, and still likely shouldn't be in an NHL lineup IMO. You watch Horvat play and you can easily see the path to how he's a viable NHLer. He mostly makes smart plays with the puck, makes smart reads, uses his body well to protect the puck, and doesn't look like a non-factor.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say Jensen is out of the organization by next July 1st. He seems like a trade throw-in.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yup, he basically has a nice wrist shot and not much else.

Don't agree with this take. I was never a big fan of Jensen's game up until fairly recently but IMO he's showing a good combination of size and strength that should have him on the radar for an NHL job, as early as this season. He seems to be able to separate from the opposition, is showing progress in terms of winning board battles and physicality and as you alluded to, he has that outstanding shot in his arsenal too.

I still think Jensen finishes the year in Vancouver. IMO he's the most NHL ready prospect the Canucks have and fills a huge organizational need on the wing - pure goalscorer.

Don't know if he ever solidifies himself as a full time top 6 forward at the NHL level, but I do think he could carve out a career similar to a guy like Michael Grabner.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Don't agree with this take. I was never a big fan of Jensen's game up until fairly recently but IMO he's showing a good combination of size and strength that should have him on the radar for an NHL job, as early as this season. He seems to be able to separate from the opposition, is showing progress in terms of winning board battles and physicality and as you alluded to, he has that outstanding shot in his arsenal too.

I still think Jensen finishes the year in Vancouver. IMO he's the most NHL ready prospect the Canucks have and fills a huge organizational need on the wing - pure goalscorer.

Don't know if he ever solidifies himself as a full time top 6 forward at the NHL level, but I do think he could carve out a career similar to a guy like Michael Grabner.

Fully agreed - Jensen has the combination of a big body who can cycle and has a nice wrister.

If we ever want to compete against the Kings/Ducks a player like Jensen is going to get every chance. Even if he becomes a tweener like Hansen he becomes very valuable over a 7 game series. Long term it's nice to have "heavy" forwards in our pipeline.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I feel like Jensen was up here extra long - and playing more than Horvat - because management wanted to see if we could send Horvat back to junior under the notion that Jensen could be the "other" rookie that makes the team this year in order to avoid burning a year off Horvat.

Personally, I don't think Jensen passed the test. He was okay, but much of the same "nothing special." I think Horvat has shown more in his limited opportunity.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jensen seems to be improving with every trip to Vancouver....playing much more of a 200-foot game...can now be relied upon to play up and down the lineup...predict he'll continue his improvement at Utica and likely be up in the NHL permanently before the year is out or if injuries strike again. What a difference having your own AHL farm teams makes in terms of prospect development!....draft picks can learn their trade without getting thrown under the bus at the NHL level:handclap:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Of course he'd play his best game of the stint (actually made an impact) and be promptly sent down immediately after. :laugh:

I get it though. The roster is crowded right now and there's really no harm in him continuing to grow in the minors for now. Just funny how it works out.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I thought Jensen played a very good game. Okay, I only watched the first 2 periods but he was battling in front of the net, finished some checks, looked to be in the right place defensively, and made some nice passes. Imo the only thing keeping him from being a full time NHL player is opportunity.

LolClarkson*

2 goals tonight in the A. One was GWG

This kid is NHL material

CanucksOo

Jul 29, 2006
California
Guess who's back? #jensentrain

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 7m7 minutes ago
#Canucks recall Nicklas Jensen from @UticaComets.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Wow, they're really loading up for this road trip. I'm still not sure how him and Frank are going to get any ice time outside of injuries though...

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wow, they're really loading up for this road trip. I'm still not sure how him and Frank are going to get any ice time outside of injuries though...

Methinks that Jensen will see ice-time for Vey, what with Kassian being injured. Vey hasn't looked particularly strong lately, while Jensen has been somewhat hot down in Utica.

I do think the Canucks need to acquire a depth defenseman of some sort so Corrado can return to Utica, though.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Methinks that Jensen will see ice-time for Vey, what with Kassian being injured. Vey hasn't looked particularly strong lately, while Jensen has been somewhat hot down in Utica.

I do think the Canucks need to acquire a depth defenseman of some sort so Corrado can return to Utica, though.

Bobby Sanguinetti being injured is putting a bit of a wrench in that plan. For somebody to be pretty much in the pressbox and may get spot duty it may aswell be a vet instead of a young defender that should be playing.

Jensen back up? guess they want to continue rotating Vey in and out of the lineup unless there is some other lingering injuries that we don't really know about. Jensen, like Corrado I hope gets some game time otherwise I'd prefer it to be a vet like DeFazio in the pressbox.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Hopefully they keep him away from Horvat. If they stick Jensen with Horvat we're likely looking at another 4 minute night for Bo.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I wonder why they called him up now. Our road trip is all out East so it's not like it would take them very long to fly him from Utica to wherever they are playing. Maybe someone else is injured and possibly getting sat.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I hope Vey can perform against some of these East Conference teams, I donno why I ve been cheering for him so hard when I am so bias for size, I just think once he gets his NHL legs he's going to be the finesse guy we havn't had. Mind you Vrbata is pretty much what I want him to be lol

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I wonder why they called him up now. Our road trip is all out East so it's not like it would take them very long to fly him from Utica to wherever they are playing. Maybe someone else is injured and possibly getting sat.
Utica is served by Syracuse airport, which isn't exactly O'Hare. It'd actually be faster to drive him up to Ottawa or Montreal than fly.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Utica is served by Syracuse airport, which isn't exactly O'Hare. It'd actually be faster to drive him up to Ottawa or Montreal than fly.

Ah thanks I didn't know that. Well that sucks, I always thought it would be so convenient for these kind of trips to have our farm team out East.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Hopefully the reports of him rounding out his game in Utica and playing harder in all three zones show up in his play at the NHL level. I've been a bit hyperbolic in my criticism of him, but he's at that point in his career where he really needs to show he can take the next step. It would be nice to see something from him that makes him a potential fixture on the team next year, even if it's just on the third line with spot PP duty.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

I missed this awhile ago apparently. I don't really disagree that there's something there, but he's frustrating to watch (hence my hyperbole, I suppose). He always looks like he's missing a certain something from his game that will stop him from fulfilling his potential.

That's not unusual, of course, but he has so many other tantalizing aspects to his game that it will be a real shame if it ends up being the case.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Seems like they want to have an extra forward and D-man on the roster at all times even it means screwing up Utica a bit.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This is either

a) Insurance for Vrbata who might be a game time decision (or Vrbata can't go period)
b) Insurance for Ducks game in case someone else gets hurt

Utica plays both today and tomorrow so if we want insurance, its better to call up the player now. More so since they will be at Lake Erie/Rochester so not exactly close to LA/Ana.

Given the lack of roster space, i assume either ZK or Sestito will also be placed on IR to make a roster spot for this move (unless Sestito is already on IR?).

Disregard

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Seems like they want to have an extra forward and D-man on the roster at all times even it means screwing up Utica a bit.

Every team will want to have a spare forward and dman if they have the cap space. It's standard practice. Just in case someone gets sick or injured day of a game.

Until Star Trek style "Beam me up Scotty" transport beaming becomes a reality, teams will continue to do this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad