Recalled/Assigned: Nicklas Jensen Recalled from Utica (11/28)

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
My lineup would be...

Sedin Sedin Burrows (you know this works, why not go with it)
Higgins Bonino Vey (Can utilize his playmaking skills w/ 2 shoot first guys)
Jensen Horvat Kassian (ohhh lorddy, please)
Dorset Richardson Hansen (solid energy line)

Not bad, but that 3rd line isn't realistic with both Jensen and Horvat.

I like your top 6, then would roll with

Mathias Horvat Kassian
Dorsett Richardson Hansen

IMO Jensen only plays if Kassian can't go. I think Mathias helps insulate Horvat a bit and gives the third line an additional face off option (albeit a weak one), and someone with experience playing the center position. Mathias also has the requisite beef we need against the Cali teams

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Probably really depends on how Willie D feels about his ability to manage matchups on the road. If it were at home and he wanted to match the Sedins more...obviously Burrows, or *shudder* Hansen would make sense there, able to carry their own weight defensively there.

On the road though, i think Jensen with the Twins makes some sense. You wouldn't want to get caught with a Vey+Jensen duo out there for example, and with the Twins, hopefully you'd have Jensen playing a lot more at the other end of the ice.

Also really depends on just who is actually out right now. Whether it's Vrbata and Kassian or what. If it's both, obviously the team is going to be in tough...losing two of your top RW is not making a difficult task any easier at all.

Of course...it could just be like the Frankie Corrado thing, where it seemed he was basically just around for "insurance" in case something else happened. Didn't play a game, barely even noticed he was there.

One thing the new regime does not do well, is keep us fans updated on every minute detail of injury news. :D

Hansen was the first that comes to mind to move up the lineup as hes already been the first guy to be moved up onto the power play and onto the second line with the Burrows suspension. I too sudder with the thought of Hansen moving up but he always seems to be the guy. Vastly prefer the game he plays in the bottom 6.

Also yes, the thought of Vey and Jensen getting out together against the Kings at this stage isn't a good one. Against the Oilers is a little different. The road matchup does does make sense to help hide him defensively. Jensen with Bonino is a better option than Vey if he cannot keep up with the icetime.

At a minimum Jensen is up insurance it will be interesting to see where he slides in if called upon. The basics of the lineup hasn't really changed that much throughout the young season leads to the though Jensen could be plug and played into Vrbata's spot and Horvat into Kassain if either or both cannot play.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Not bad, but that 3rd line isn't realistic with both Jensen and Horvat.

I like your top 6, then would roll with

Mathias Horvat Kassian
Dorsett Richardson Hansen

IMO Jensen only plays if Kassian can't go. I think Mathias helps insulate Horvat a bit and gives the third line an additional face off option (albeit a weak one), and someone with experience playing the center position. Mathias also has the requisite beef we need against the Cali teams

Thats valid. I agree if anyones going to sit, its likely Jensen (with Horvat centering line 4).

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Looks like Vrbata and Kassian are both banged up. If both can't go, I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Higgins - Bonino - Vey
Burrows - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Vey is a liability at ES, but the hope is Higgins and Bonino can carry him along and hopefully utilize his skill. Give Horvat some wingers, some minutes and a real opportunity. 4th line is pretty obvious. And may as well replace Vrbata with Jensen, both are high volume shooters.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
^ I'd go

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Higgins - Bonino - Burrows
Matthias - Horvat - Richardson
Dorsett - Vey - Hansen

Keep what works. Just put Jensen where Vrbata was and Horvat where Kassian was (gotta move Richardson over, though).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Interesting. I hope Vrbata isn't gone for long, we really need him for the rest of this road trip.

Probably would throw Jensen with the twins, would have he least amount of effect on the rest of the lines and he's a finisher.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Burrows - Sedin - Jensen
Higgins - Bonino - Vey
Sedin - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Would be interesting, to say the least.

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
Yeah (No)Han(d)sen is such an enigma. Like last night when he outskated everyone stole the puck and thought he acquired some hands suddenly and tried to deke out Niemi when Horvat was standing right there or could have just shot. . I have a major love-hate relationship with that high talker

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Vey
Higgins-Bonino-Burrows
Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Jensen

Would be my guess. Willie D seems to emphasize chemistry above jacking up lineups for the sake of it (except on D for some reason).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hansen may not have good hands, but he does create most of the chances with his speed and good forechecking.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Sedin-Sedin-Vey
Higgins-Bonino-Burrows
Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Jensen

Would be my guess. Willie D seems to emphasize chemistry above jacking up lineups for the sake of it (except on D for some reason).

Vey with the Sedins would be an interesting look. Hes not the greatest along the boards so may no be ideal for their cycle but he lets them do the work, he can score. While that may be a waste of Jensen 5 on 5, it would be a complete waste of his time if he got plenty of powerplay time.

LPH said:
Hansen may not have good hands, but he does create most of the chances with his speed and good forechecking.

Its how hes always gets moved up in the lineup. Its too bad he gets fancy when he does otherwise he could make a okay complimentary winger in the top six.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
We called up a forward because Sestito and Kassian are both injured, and with Horvat that gives us 12. We have upcoming back-to-back games against some rough teams, and we already know that Vrbata was feeling it in San Jose.

It could be precautionary measures, or Vrbata could already be out. We are going into these back-to-backs with 13 forwards if Vrbata is healthy. Utica is all the way across the country.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
^ I'd go

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Higgins - Bonino - Burrows
Matthias - Horvat - Richardson
Dorsett - Vey - Hansen

Keep what works. Just put Jensen where Vrbata was and Horvat where Kassian was (gotta move Richardson over, though).

I'd put good money on this. might be tempted to swap out Richardson for Hansen and have richardson centering the 3b line. I do feel Jensen was the one called up because he's playing top 6

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I think Jensen will go With the twins as well. Largely because of his success last year with them and willie wanting to establish that 2nd line again.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
I rather see this kind of line-up

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Bonino - Jensen
Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Vey

I don't feel like it would be smart to bring up Jensen from the AHL and throw him straight onto the 1st line, especially against Anaheim and LA.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I would be very surprised if Jensen is put with the twins... It would make me happy though, him or Kassian...

Willie could surprise though...

My guess is Hansen, sadly

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Poor game from Jensen but he wasn't given a chance right from the start.

Don't know how the coaches thought he would excel with Richardson and Matthias when that line is always grinds it out the hardest on the boards. Not really Jensen's game.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Poor game from Jensen but he wasn't given a chance right from the start.

Don't know how the coaches thought he would excel with Richardson and Matthias when that line is always grinds it out the hardest on the boards. Not really Jensen's game.

Disagree. Don't think he played a poor game at all.

He was defensively responsible for most of his shifts. That is always going to be step one in getting more ice time.

It is possible the coaches told him not to worry about dangling, just focus on playing well in his own end of the rink.

Given the way the Ducks were counter punching off turnovers, it is just as well he didn't try any adventurous moves.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Disagree. Don't think he played a poor game at all.

He was defensively responsible for most of his shifts. That is always going to be step one in getting more ice time.

It is possible the coaches told him not to worry about dangling, just focus on playing well in his own end of the rink.

Given the way the Ducks were counter punching off turnovers, it is just as well he didn't try any adventurous moves.

I thought he was pretty bad, had bad awareness and anticipation throughout the game and looked to have tunnel vision a few too many times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad