Recalled/Assigned: Nicklas Jensen Recalled from Utica (11/28)

Nuclear Salo

Launch Detected
Mar 12, 2014
Vancouver
It's def Vrbata. He got crushed awkwardly in the boards last night trying to push the puck into the offensive zone. Looked like he got caught inbetween the boards and the player. Probably a groin injury. I'd say 2 weeks at the most.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
It's def Vrbata. He got crushed awkwardly in the boards last night trying to push the puck into the offensive zone. Looked like he got caught inbetween the boards and the player. Probably a groin injury. I'd say 2 weeks at the most.

He was shaking his left (I think) leg after that hit. Stayed in the game for a while (but favouring it), and I noticed that his shifts were sometimes replaced by Hansen.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
That was definitely the play. Was very slow in the play and then slower getting to the bench. Either his leg or hip.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Without spots for Bo (arguably), Jensen and Shink it comes down to injuries as well as their play of course. I hope we're in a position where we can be liberal with rest time for old guys and at the same time get the young bucks into games

nazzy_012

Nov 22, 2006
Another scenario is that they had a plan for horvat to sit games to get him to the WJC

It might mean that kassian will be out awhile and they want someone else up to get games in while horvat is in the pressbox

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. That would certainly seem the likely case.

Now the question is...if that is the issue, does Jensen slot right into Vrbata's spot with the Twins? :naughty:

I'd put him with the twins if Vrbata is out as it lets us keep our lines. He's looked good there before and that line has not really looked great at even strength recently.
The question is who takes over for Vrbata on the PP.
Bonino time!

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Unlike Jensen's last callup, there is more than just Henrik to act as a playmaking centre. Bonino and Vey provide other options throughout the lineup so Jensen isn't forced onto the top line and still have a chance at success.

If Vrbata is out I'd expect to Hansen to be with the Sedins. Will be interesting to see what happens if Kassian is also a no go.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I'd put him with the twins if Vrbata is out as it lets us keep our lines. He's looked good there before and that line has not really looked great at even strength recently.
The question is who takes over for Vrbata on the PP.
Bonino time!

Jensen with the Sedins does allow for the more balanced attack and roll four lines. May be hard to do against LA and Anaheim. It will be a big test if Vey, Horvat and Jensen all end up in the lineup in games that were a challenge with a healthy roster.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Jensen with the Sedins does allow for the more balanced attack and roll four lines. May be hard to do against LA and Anaheim. It will be a big test if Vey, Horvat and Jensen all end up in the lineup in games that were a challenge with a healthy roster.

Agreed. Strangely I'm fairly confident in Horvat although Willie won't yet trust him with bigger minutes. I do worry about Jensen and Vey though. Which makes your suggestion of Hansen with the twins probably the better one. Leave the second line as is and move Jensen to Hansen's spot.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
This is either

a) Insurance for Vrbata who might be a game time decision (or Vrbata can't go period)
b) Insurance for Ducks game in case someone else gets hurt

Utica plays both today and tomorrow so if we want insurance, its better to call up the player now. More so since they will be at Lake Erie/Rochester so not exactly close to LA/Ana.

Given the lack of roster space, i assume either ZK or Sestito will also be placed on IR to make a roster spot for this move (unless Sestito is already on IR?).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Probably really depends on how Willie D feels about his ability to manage matchups on the road. If it were at home and he wanted to match the Sedins more...obviously Burrows, or *shudder* Hansen would make sense there, able to carry their own weight defensively there.

On the road though, i think Jensen with the Twins makes some sense. You wouldn't want to get caught with a Vey+Jensen duo out there for example, and with the Twins, hopefully you'd have Jensen playing a lot more at the other end of the ice.

Also really depends on just who is actually out right now. Whether it's Vrbata and Kassian or what. If it's both, obviously the team is going to be in tough...losing two of your top RW is not making a difficult task any easier at all.

Of course...it could just be like the Frankie Corrado thing, where it seemed he was basically just around for "insurance" in case something else happened. Didn't play a game, barely even noticed he was there.

One thing the new regime does not do well, is keep us fans updated on every minute detail of injury news. :D

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Hopefully he gets put with the Sedins if Vrbata can't go. I know some people don't like the idea of vaulting him to the penthouse without "earning it" but it's the best way to utilize our assets.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
My lineup would be...

Sedin Sedin Burrows (you know this works, why not go with it)
Higgins Bonino Vey (Can utilize his playmaking skills w/ 2 shoot first guys)
Jensen Horvat Kassian (ohhh lorddy, please)
Dorset Richardson Hansen (solid energy line)

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Hopefully he gets put with the Sedins if Vrbata can't go. I know some people don't like the idea of vaulting him to the penthouse without "earning it" but it's the best way to utilize our assets.

Same. I think if he's going to be in the NHL, it has to be as a scorer. Not everyone is destined to master two-way play before making the NHL, and there are plenty of solid NHLers that are relatively one dimensional.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
My lineup would be...

Sedin Sedin Burrows (you know this works, why not go with it)
Higgins Bonino Vey (Can utilize his playmaking skills w/ 2 shoot first guys)
Jensen Horvat Kassian (ohhh lorddy, please)
Dorset Richardson Hansen (solid energy line)

On paper that looks like it could be an unreal lineup. Would love to see that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad