Nicklas Jensen - Part II

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I wonder how much that concussion (two I believe?) had to do with him being where he is today.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Jensen was never a good player imo. He just had size and an above average wrister.
For most, that is enough.

His 1+ draft season was horrible, no progression at all.
There were even talks of his attitude in Jr, someone mentioned him being just a tad to entitled.

I was lucky enough to catch at least 15 of his games in the SHL, and besides his goals, he was CRAP! No passing abilities, no hockey IQ, and his assists showed that.

He is selfish, arrogant and way too entitled for his talent level.

Just watch him when he has played for team Denmark, same problem, lazy disinterested and selfish.

Ship him off, no use for players like that. Players who do not realize how lucky they are to be able to make money of their hobby!

He is not good enough for the KHL, and im not even sure any SHL club would gamble on him again, just based on his attitude alone.

IMO, he will end up in the NLA or DEL or maybe Allsvenskan.

I really dislike this kid! He really grinds my gears!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although Jensen has sunk like a rock as a prospect, that '011 draft isn't looking half-bad.....picks Grenier and Corrado in the third and fifth rounds are looking like gold....and now we've acquired Baertschi (first rounder) and Clendening (second rounder)....and Ludwig Blomstrand is still hanging around....that's quite a haul from a 'nothing' draft..lol:laugh:

canucks22

Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Bust? Still think it's pretty early to call him a bust. He's 22. I don't think he's going to be that big, scoring forward a lot of people thought he was going to be but he's 22..so much room for improvement. I hope the Canucks believe in him enough to give him another contract, I don't see what there is to lose by doing so

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the problem is that if you have a lot of room for improvement, you're a really bad player

canucks22

Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
the problem is that if you have a lot of room for improvement, you're a really bad player

Lol so if Shinkaruk has a lot of room for improvement he's a "really bad player" too? He's a prospect, they all have room for improvement, some more/less than others. These guys are raw and it might take a while for them to figure out, Jensen more specifically IMO.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Lol so if Shinkaruk has a lot of room for improvement he's a "really bad player" too? He's a prospect, they all have room for improvement, some more/less than others. These guys are raw and it might take a while for them to figure out, Jensen more specifically IMO.

The problem is as you get older there is less and less room for there to be any improvement. I probably would not give up on him, but I don't think the odds are great.

canucks22

Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
The problem is as you get older there is less and less room for there to be any improvement. I probably would not give up on him, but I don't think the odds are great.

Oh for sure, I'm not saying I think he's going to pan out but he's 22, that's really not that old. There's been lots of cases of guys not panning out till they're 24, 25 or even 26 which is somewhat rare but it happens. Scorer, grinder, whichever player he becomes I'm happy with as long as he makes the team. I dunno it's just my opinion but I wouldn't give up on him just yet

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Oh for sure, I'm not saying I think he's going to pan out but he's 22, that's really not that old. There's been lots of cases of guys not panning out till they're 24, 25 or even 26 which is somewhat rare but it happens. Scorer, grinder, whichever player he becomes I'm happy with as long as he makes the team. I dunno it's just my opinion but I wouldn't give up on him just yet

why dont we just aggressively sign every 22 yo that is given up on, then?

holding on to him has an opportunity cost. its not free

canucks22

Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
why dont we just aggressively sign every 22 yo that is given up on, then?

holding on to him has an opportunity cost. its not free

Truth is there's not a lot of first round picks given up on at the age of 22. Even when the Canucks gave up on Schroeder the Wild took him and he played a role on their NHL team. Not saying the Canucks messed up giving up on him because they didn't, he just didn't fit in with our team but if there's anybody worth taking a flyer on it it's a former first round pick who's still pretty young.

I'm aware that players in the NHL get signed under contract to play, it's just that the thing is he's not going to make much let alone be on a 2-way contract playing most if not the whole season in Utica. And I'd be damned if the Canucks are not giving their prospects the opportunity in the AHL to get better,

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Truth is there's not a lot of first round picks given up on at the age of 22. Even when the Canucks gave up on Schroeder the Wild took him and he played a role on their NHL team. Not saying the Canucks messed up giving up on him because they didn't, he just didn't fit in with our team but if there's anybody worth taking a flyer on it it's a former first round pick who's still pretty young.

I'm aware that players in the NHL get signed under contract to play, it's just that the thing is he's not going to make much let alone be on a 2-way contract playing most if not the whole season in Utica. And I'd be damned if the Canucks are not giving their prospects the opportunity in the AHL to get better,

Schroeder improved each year at the AHL level and was a top 6 player. Jensen has been worse this year compared to last year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Give him half a season in the AHL next year, if he's still lazy trade him for any pick you can.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Part of me thinks that Jensen is a bust based on his AHL production, healthy scratches, and age. This is probably the most likely reality, however there was a short stint at the end of 2013-2014 where he was in the NHL playing well. For at least 1 game he looked like Canucks best player. Before I would trade or waive him I want to see him get some NHL games just to be sure.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Hope they can deal him for a pick or another player in a similar situation... maybe a change of scenery would help. I have a feeling Jensen will end up back in Europe within a year or two.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Part of me thinks that Jensen is a bust based on his AHL production, healthy scratches, and age. This is probably the most likely reality, however there was a short stint at the end of 2013-2014 where he was in the NHL playing well. For at least 1 game he looked like Canucks best player. Before I would trade or waive him I want to see him get some NHL games just to be sure.

Yeah, I kind of had this thought as well. Even though there would be a parade of crybabies if Jensen was "gifted a spot something something agenda mumble mumble optics rabble rabble spit in other prospects' faces rah rah sisboombah", there are always different ways to motivate players. Jensen may be so entitled to think that he can't prove anything in the AHL, but would work his tail off in the NHL to show he belongs.

I would be sceptical of course, but hey, anything is possible. Even if only to raise his trade value at the start of the season enough to trade him for a different project who doesn't fit in their organization.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, I kind of had this thought as well. Even though there would be a parade of crybabies if Jensen was "gifted a spot something something agenda mumble mumble optics rabble rabble spit in other prospects' faces rah rah sisboombah", there are always different ways to motivate players. Jensen may be so entitled to think that he can't prove anything in the AHL, but would work his tail off in the NHL to show he belongs.

I would be sceptical of course, but hey, anything is possible. Even if only to raise his trade value at the start of the season enough to trade him for a different project who doesn't fit in their organization.

As much as it does probably send the wrong message in general...i really would like to see Jensen given a stretch with the Sedins at some point in the coming year, if nothing more than an absolute last ditch effort to salvage any value he may have...or at the very least, to know for absolute certain that he's just not worth the investment anymore.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
As much as it does probably send the wrong message in general...i really would like to see Jensen given a stretch with the Sedins at some point in the coming year, if nothing more than an absolute last ditch effort to salvage any value he may have...or at the very least, to know for absolute certain that he's just not worth the investment anymore.

Why though? He's not a scorer, he's never been a scorer, and he's not showing any signs of being a scorer. Putting him in the Canucks lineup despite earning it costs your salary, and a roster spot with the twins instead of someone else...Like Kassian, or Vrbata etc.

At this point putting him in the NHL is forcing something that's not.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why though? He's not a scorer, he's never been a scorer, and he's not showing any signs of being a scorer. Putting him in the Canucks lineup despite earning it costs your salary, and a roster spot with the twins instead of someone else...Like Kassian, or Vrbata etc.

At this point putting him in the NHL is forcing something that's not.

I'm not suggesting he should be gifted a spot out of camp or anything. But at some point, inevitably there are going to be injuries...and i think it's something worth looking into at that point as a last ditch effort...considering, if Jensen doesn't show something next season, there's a good chance he's not qualified next summer and simply walks away.

Might as well try something for a stint and see if there's gonna be anything at all there worth hanging on to. He's had brief stints with the Twins before where it looked like there may be something there. If he can't look halfway decent there for a little stint, you know for sure there's probably no hope there.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Guys who can't hold down a regular roster spot in the AHL don't suddenly turn into top-6 NHL forwards if they're promoted. Ever. This is a pipe dream of the worst kind.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Guys who can't hold down a regular roster spot in the AHL don't suddenly turn into top-6 NHL forwards if they're promoted. Ever. This is a pipe dream of the worst kind.

Yup. Players can do very well in the AHL and have had trouble cracking the top 6 of an NHL team.

At this stage Jensen is pretty much a bust. Jensen should one of the better players for the Comets but he can't crack the lineup.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

In terms of a forwards prime, if he hasn't shown much by now he likely never will. I would say the chances of Jensen being a bust is at about 99%.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Nicklas Jensen - Future?

Nicklas Jensen - Future?

Does Nicklas Jensen still have any chance at a future with the Canucks, or is he pretty much going the way of Jordan Schroeder?

I haven't been following Jensen much, but my gut says that he needs an environment change. Anyone here disagree with this statement? If so, why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad