Nicklas Jensen - Part II

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
If Jensen was a great skater then he would be a much better player. He's not bad but he's average. I don't know where you got the idea that he can 'fly'.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
He can fly. His first few steps aren't great though. He doesn't look fast because of that.

Top speed is almost meaningless. Jeff Skinner is not particularly fast once he gets going but his first few steps, edge work, transitions, agility, etc. are all top notch and make him an otherwise excellent skater.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
This post is a total phony war. My comments had nothing to do with Gillis (well besides the fact the buck stops at the GM for this poor selection). Our scouting sucks, has for a long time and has continued to. I was saying other teams hockey guys got it right In the context of arguing against fan knowledge and Bob McKenzie's list as the holy grail. If you followed the whole line of conversation I did say that we had good hockey guys in our organization too.

IE hockey guys know what they are doing. Fans look at lists and talk like they know what they're doing.

there are a lot of hockey guys that have absolutely no clue what they are doing

arsmaster*

This post is a total phony war. My comments had nothing to do with Gillis (well besides the fact the buck stops at the GM for this poor selection). Our scouting sucks, has for a long time and has continued to. I was saying other teams hockey guys got it right In the context of arguing against fan knowledge and Bob McKenzie's list as the holy grail. If you followed the whole line of conversation I did say that we had good hockey guys in our organization too.

IE hockey guys know what they are doing. Fans look at lists and talk like they know what they're doing.

Either way. Stupid argument.

Every team is made of hockey guys. Most draft picks fail.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Anyways, now that the new regime has had a full year to look at things, and has a much better idea of how to organize their summer, I'm hoping that a lot of attention is paid to players like Grenier, Jensen, Kassian, Kenins, Vey, and more who are just trying to put an identity into and refine their games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
There is going to be a big shakeup in the next year in our non pro roster. I will be interested to see what happens when the dust settles and how he deals with some of those fringe guys you talk about as well as farther down the food chain.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Top speed is almost meaningless. Jeff Skinner is not particularly fast once he gets going but his first few steps, edge work, transitions, agility, etc. are all top notch and make him an otherwise excellent skater.

Oh I know. I'm just saying. I also think his skating is really overrated.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Could be about increasing his value as an "NHL regular" before trading him. Other teams have done the same thing with their prospects.

Or maybe they're just awful at evaluating talent considering they think Sbisa is good for $3.6M a year.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I would have taken Benning at his word that he doesn't see Jensen as a goal scorer except for that whole Sbisa thing...

So what is the consensus on him now from outside Canuckdom? Old scouting reports I've read have always made him out to be a scoring winger. Now, of course you never really know how a guy will turn out but I think it was a major mistake for Benning to call him out in public.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I would have taken Benning at his word that he doesn't see Jensen as a goal scorer except for that whole Sbisa thing...

So what is the consensus on him now from outside Canuckdom? Old scouting reports I've read have always made him out to be a scoring winger. Now, of course you never really know how a guy will turn out but I think it was a major mistake for Benning to call him out in public.

He did score 35 seconds after being called out. Maybe he needs a bit of a fire under him right now to get him going. It certainly isnt going to hurt at this point.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Benning has nothing to lose that is for sure. Jensen will not likely be qualified. He is not worth the cap hit to pay him like he is a legit 1st round pick.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He did score 35 seconds after being called out. Maybe he needs a bit of a fire under him right now to get him going. It certainly isnt going to hurt at this point.

Yeah. There isn't a lot to lose.

Benning doesn't have many chips in the game. At this point, Jensen is a prior regime pick who is teetering on the brink of washing out back to Europe. If this can light a fire under him finally, and give him that wakeup call that makes Jensen reevaluate his prospects of an NHL future, start working hard to reshape his game as a serviceable bottom-6 player...that'd be a big win.

If not...well, that's really not much of a change from the status quo. It's not like this is going to backfire and derail a prospect tracking extremely well at this point. Jensen's development is already off the rails to begin with...

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Benning said it and now Green has backed Benning up. Top 6 in North America is not in his future.

Jensen either works at being more of an energy player or next year is his last in the organization. Heck next camp will likely be the end. There is no praise in the words of Benning and green...it is a warning shot. Likely a final one.

Who knows..if he shows some consistency of effort and paying attention to details he might turn himself back into a top 6 option.

Benning stating the obvious for one last attempt to light a fire. I mean, most Canuck fans already knew he wasn't going to be a top 6 before last years draft. Virtanen and McCann further confirmed that.

The good thing is, Jensen is still a big bodied prospect and teams always like size. If he can carve out bottom six role, finishing checks, hitting, and contributing 20 pts, he can still have an NHL career. But now's the time to re-invent himself.

He seems like a good kid, and I really hope he can make the NHL soon.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Benning stating the obvious for one last attempt to light a fire. I mean, most Canuck fans already knew he wasn't going to be a top 6 before last years draft. Virtanen and McCann further confirmed that.

The good thing is, Jensen is still a big bodied prospect and teams always like size. If he can carve out bottom six role, finishing checks, hitting, and contributing 20 pts, he can still have an NHL career. But now's the time to re-invent himself.

He seems like a good kid, and I really hope he can make the NHL soon.

Ironically if Jensen becomes a good bottom 6 player he would also become a top 6 player. What is missing from his top 6 game is what is missing from his bottom 6 game.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Ironically if Jensen becomes a good bottom 6 player he would also become a top 6 player. What is missing from his top 6 game is what is missing from his bottom 6 game.

i dont really think this is true. it takes more everything to be a top six guy. sure you can cover it up with even more scoring but the thing holding him back from being an nhl player is that he isn't good enough to be an nhl player

he might be better at helping hockey wins than dorsett or vey were last year. nothing to do with his effort level, though hopefully that improves

how does a guy who berates his friends/team for goofing off on a microphone not ****ing have the mental strength it takes to be a professional hockey player? how does your brain wire itself to take Compete > Fun at a meaningless tournament but you can't figure out how to look good in the AHL? its mindboggling.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Hmmm...guy was a -16 on a team that was one of the best defensive teams in the entire AHL.....if he's going to be a 'bottom-six' forward he'll have to learn how to win puck battles......can't check his hat in his own zone as far as I can tell.:shakehead

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
He's a bust, just accept it.

Won't be an NHL regular for this franchise.

The task at hand is getting someone to buy him. Struggling prospect for struggling prospect.

Hope he can step up his game for Utica's sake but I don't have much hope at this point. But hey, this is an instance where we all hope we're wrong.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He should go to Europe. His style is much more suited to Sweden or maybe KHL if he becomes good enough.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
What is keeping Jensen out of the top 6 in the NHL is his compete level. He has the skill to score and we've seen it in the pro leagues when he was playing against men in Europe. The difference is there's a lot more room there where he can wind up, process the play, and pass the puck off before someone checks him.

Watch some of his highlights in the AIK. He dangles defenders because most of those guys back down towards the goalie. They don't initiate much contact.

When he plays in the NHL, he has no room to make those same plays. He has less than 1 second and some guy is already on him.

If he wants an NHL career, he needs to simplify his game to a dump and chase, forechecking game.

Best player to mirror.....Jannik Hansen.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Boch in the Province, Grenier has surpassed Jensen as our best prospect from the 2011 draft...one guy a first rounder, the other a third....but hard to disagree at this point:nod:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
According to Boch in the Province, Grenier has surpassed Jensen as our best prospect from the 2011 draft...one guy a first rounder, the other a third....but hard to disagree at this point:nod:

Well if Grenier and Corrado can make it in the NHL then 2011 is not a bad draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad