Nicklas Jensen - Part II

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Shouldn't play in the NHL, needs more time in the AHL. Last season was his first real pro season.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Shouldn't play in the NHL, needs more time in the AHL. Last season was his first real pro season.

I fully agree and Im glad Benning seems to think so as well. It will be really cool seeing Jensen, Shinkaruk and Gaunce all in the AHL together.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think he will make the show.

He's currently squeezed out by the numbers. Unless there's another move made, I think Jensen is getting top line minutes in the AHL. Jensen really needs to be better than 2 of Vrbata, Kassian, Hansen and Burrows on the right wing to be in the top 9 forwards. Better to get big minutes in the AHL and develop chemistry with the other offensive prospects.

bo2shink*

He's currently squeezed out by the numbers. Unless there's another move made, I think Jensen is getting top line minutes in the AHL. Jensen really needs to be better than 2 of Vrbata, Kassian, Hansen and Burrows on the right wing to be in the top 9 forwards. Better to get big minutes in the AHL and develop chemistry with the other offensive prospects.

I think he can be better Hansen this year, but the AHL is probably a good start until needed.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
He will be called up to replace one of Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Kassian or the new guy, due to injury or suspension... Solid chance he plays a good chunk of NHL games...

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think he can be better Hansen this year, but the AHL is probably a good start until needed.

Maybe he can be better than Hansen in a vacuum, but Hansen when he's on is about as good of a third liner as there is. And unlike in Torts system, in an aggressive possession system, Hansen should be in his element again.

He will be called up to replace one of Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Kassian or the new guy, due to injury or suspension... Solid chance he plays a good chunk of NHL games...

Agreed. Particularly if Jensen can play both wings. He should get some decent playing time in the NHL this season, even if he starts in the AHL.

With so many real prospects entering the AHL this year, it'll be really interesting to see which prospects get called up.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Maybe he can be better than Hansen in a vacuum, but Hansen when he's on is about as good of a third liner as there is. And unlike in Torts system, in an aggressive possession system, Hansen should be in his element again.

Agreed. Particularly if Jensen can play both wings. He should get some decent playing time in the NHL this season, even if he starts in the AHL.

With so many real prospects entering the AHL this year, it'll be really interesting to see which prospects get called up.

Totally agreed about Hansen. One bad year that struck the entire team, and every fan seems to forget what Hansen was. IMO, Hansen is a 3RW lock if he gets back to form (Which isn't out of the question. He's not old and hasn't sustained any significant injury, and we're more in a position to keep him out of the top 6 finally.)

What I'm wondering about call-ups is what happens if bottom 6 players go down. Do we still call up the higher profile prospects, or do we keep trying with guys like Archibald and Lain? I mean, I would wager a bet that Fox and Gaunce are going to showcase as better bottom 6 options as it is. Not only that, but say Higgins (3LW) gets injured, and the second line with Burrows as the 2LW is kind of stagnant. Would we call up Jensen or Shinkaruk, leapfrog him over Burrows to change up the second line, while moving Burrows down. Stuff like that.

There are so many players in Utica that we have the option of calling up, it's crazy. I almost doubt we'll see every one of them this year like we normally do (and then some).

The exception, of course, is our defense. We've got Corrado, and that's it. :help:

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
What I'm wondering about call-ups is what happens if bottom 6 players go down. Do we still call up the higher profile prospects, or do we keep trying with guys like Archibald and Lain? I mean, I would wager a bet that Fox and Gaunce are going to showcase as better bottom 6 options as it is. Not only that, but say Higgins (3LW) gets injured, and the second line with Burrows as the 2LW is kind of stagnant. Would we call up Jensen or Shinkaruk, leapfrog him over Burrows to change up the second line, while moving Burrows down. Stuff like that.

There are so many players in Utica that we have the option of calling up, it's crazy. I almost doubt we'll see every one of them this year like we normally do (and then some).

The exception, of course, is our defense. We've got Corrado, and that's it. :help:

Benning and Willie D are going to be laughing. Depends who´s playing well both in the majors and minors. Probably see a few different things tried out throughout the year.

How refreshing.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

This should read, "Hansen, when he's not being berated and getting holes poked in his back by Tortorella, is a really good player...."

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Jensen's a bit of a wild card for me; he certainly had a Jekyll and Hyde season last year, but he finished on a promising note. If he comes into camp playing the same way, I think he'll push to be on the opening night roster. But given that he's not eligible for waivers, I think he'll have to play head and shoulders above the competition to avoid being sent to Utica to start.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Jensen's a bit of a wild card for me; he certainly had a Jekyll and Hyde season last year, but he finished on a promising note. If he comes into camp playing the same way, I think he'll push to be on the opening night roster. But given that he's not eligible for waivers, I think he'll have to play head and shoulders above the competition to avoid being sent to Utica to start.

Much like his competition (the AHL-bound guys, I mean).

Immanent dogfight.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

It might even be more interesting to see if any of the new guys in Utica outplay him right away. He wasn't exactly a world beater last season in the AHL and his numbers with Vancouver are not all that impressive either.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
It might even be more interesting to see if any of the new guys in Utica outplay him right away. He wasn't exactly a world beater last season in the AHL and his numbers with Vancouver are not all that impressive either.

Even if younger prospects outplay him in Utica he might still be the first call-up because he's the most "NHL ready".

Also, he got much better as the season went along in Utica because he started the season coming off an injury. He was also playing well in the NHL until Daniel came back and ruined the Burrows - Henrik - Jensen line that seemed to be clicking.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Totally agreed about Hansen. One bad year that struck the entire team, and every fan seems to forget what Hansen was. IMO, Hansen is a 3RW lock if he gets back to form (Which isn't out of the question. He's not old and hasn't sustained any significant injury, and we're more in a position to keep him out of the top 6 finally.)

Don't be surprised to see McEneny start to impress very quickly. He actually plays real good defense. Corrado plays his best D by skating out of the zone with loose pucks. One on one or three on two he is a lot less impressive.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Even if younger prospects outplay him in Utica he might still be the first call-up because he's the most "NHL ready".

Also, he got much better as the season went along in Utica because he started the season coming off an injury. He was also playing well in the NHL until Daniel came back and ruined the Burrows - Henrik - Jensen line that seemed to be clicking.

His defensive play in both leagues was pretty poor. An "NHL ready" guy is the guy who plays his position the best. As to his great comeback in the second half in Utica, it was a short spurt and continued in Vancouver for an even shorter span and then he went cold for the rest of the season. O'Reilly made him in Utica and Sundin in Vancouver. Look at his assist totals and think if that reveals a complete player. He needs to put a total game together. That was coming to fruition just when he was called up. He had actually started passing the puck to get the puck, He still looked like a duck out of water in the defensive zone.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Don't be surprised to see McEneny start to impress very quickly. He actually plays real good defense. Corrado plays his best D by skating out of the zone with loose pucks. One on one or three on two he is a lot less impressive.

Should be a lot of fun for the fans and the players in the AHL this season. That's a pretty talented group of guys who likely won't have much of a chance to make the NHL full time this year, so that means a whole season playing together. Great opportunity to bond, and if the team performs, it should be a season to remember.

Cool for the fans at the games in Utica and for the hard core types in these parts.

Interesting mix of characters as well.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
His defensive play in both leagues was pretty poor. An "NHL ready" guy is the guy who plays his position the best. As to his great comeback in the second half in Utica, it was a short spurt and continued in Vancouver for an even shorter span and then he went cold for the rest of the season. O'Reilly made him in Utica and Sundin in Vancouver. Look at his assist totals and think if that reveals a complete player. He needs to put a total game together. That was coming to fruition just when he was called up. He had actually started passing the puck to get the puck, He still looked like a duck out of water in the defensive zone.

I love it!

Jensen has work to do and you've watched him more than I, but my feeling is he's not quite as inept as you're suggesting here. Who knows, perhaps the Tort's system was a bit confusing.

We'll see what he does in camp.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Never watched him in the AHL but in the NHL, I didn't think he was very poor defensively. It takes a lot for a winger to be bad at defense, it's not that difficult: stick your point-man or skate down to support. I'm not saying he can kill penalties but you have to be really lazy, uninterested or stupid to be that poor defensively as a winger like you're suggesting Jensen is.

And it's "Sedin", Mr. Cherry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad