Confirmed with Link: Nicklas Grossmann/Chris Pronger traded to Arizona for Sam Gagner/draft pick

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
As an Oilers fan who've watched him, I would say he has the offensive intangibles that can make him mesh with Voracek and Giroux. He has the the on ice vision and is a very good player when given space and open ice. He's also very effective on the PP and it seems like he has the weapons to make himself useful.

Also, I would like to add that the 3 on 3 OT rule may help Gagner a lot as he is a type of player that can thrive when given space.

But on the downside, I do agree that he lacks a defensive game and he isn't a checker type player and isn't strong on the boards.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
As an Oilers fan who've watched him, I would say he has the offensive intangibles that can make him mesh with Voracek and Giroux. He has the the on ice vision and is a very good player when given space and open ice. He's also very effective on the PP and it seems like he has the weapons to make himself useful.

Also, I would like to add that the 3 on 3 OT rule may help Gagner a lot as he is a type of player that can thrive when given space.

But on the downside, I do agree that he lacks a defensive game and he isn't a checker type player and isn't strong on the boards.

So I thought I entered the Zac Rinaldo thread. When I started to read this post....

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

The thing I take away is space, because if he's on a line with Giroux and Voracek, he will have space for days, those guys get focused on heavily.

That line desperately needs somebody that can make their own plays.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Also, there could be a possibility that someone claims him on waivers, albeit a teeny tiny one. The contract is just one year so if someone wants to ensure that they get him they could just claim him and bite the bullet on what would be probably a slightly higher contract.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
yes, at this time of year, most people just assume its releases/buyouts, but some team CAN CLAIM him and the Flyers would be completely free and clear of his contract/cap hit.

Considering he's 1 year at a 3.2MM cap hit, I guess its not impossible, but most teams probably think they could get a better deal.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think you have to be put on waivers first, which means I think the buyout doesn't have to be official until 5pm, but he has to be on waivers by noon. Maybe someone can clarify?

I am not sure about what needs to be done by 5 pm.

Maybe a mod can quote the article section at the bottom of his article about this.

http://mobile.philly.com/sports/flyers/?wss=/philly/sports/flyers&id=310811011

Mod edit, per request:

Decision day on Gagner

The Flyers have until 5 p.m. today to decide whether to buy out the contract of Sam Gagner, who was acquired Saturday from Arizona in exchange for Pronger and Grossmann.

Once a highly regarded prospect, Gagner, 25, has failed to produce at the level he was expected to, but his 41 points were good enough to tie for second on the Coyotes last season. He's played all three forward positions and would play wing - a position the Flyers need - if the Flyers keep him.

If the Flyers buy out Gagner, who has a cap hit of $3.3 million in the final year of his contract, the team would have more than $9 million to play with in free agency. Hextall said the week before the draft that his goal in free agency is to get a skilled forward. Gagner, who turns 26 in August, could fill that role.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...end_Chris_VandeVelde.html#MsZZe7sV6PJS2Wyi.99

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I absolutely would give Gagner a chance on the LW of Giroux and Voracek.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
The thing I take away is space, because if he's on a line with Giroux and Voracek, he will have space for days, those guys get focused on heavily.

That line desperately needs somebody that can make their own plays.

Gagner's strongest attribute is his creativity and his ability to make plays in the offensive zone. The biggest knock on him is his defensive game and his inability to play a physical game but if you give him space, he can be very effective. I can see Gagner being the same PP unit as Voracek and Giroux and make it very lethal. He can definitely be effective in that front.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He certainly won't be on the same PP unit as them since he and Giroux play the same spot. Anyway, that PP unit is perfect the way it is, no reason to change it.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Maybe they keep him as a relative cheap option for LW, but he doesn't exactly fit with the style they are trying to build.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall claims he wants to add a "skilled forward" in free agency. If that's the case, just keep Gagner. He is about as good as anything out there. St. Louis is better but is too old plus **** that guy. Justin Williams will go a longer term, higher dollar deal and hes too old for us to consider that.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
according to Tim P on the tweetses, Gagner told him he is staying

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I think it's worth trying. He can help even strength scoring, PP2 and likely shootouts as well

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Redemption/contract year for Sam Gagne. Is he restricted after this year?

He's shifty and had a decent shot. Would be nice to have some sort of sharp shooter or at least a guy able to hit the net to let guys like voracek and simmonds bang in a rebound.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Redemption/contract year for Sam Gagne. Is he restricted after this year?

He's shifty and had a decent shot. Would be nice to have some sort of sharp shooter or at least a guy able to hit the net to let guys like voracek and simmonds bang in a rebound.

He's a UFA after 2015-16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad