Nicklas Backstrom HHOF Chances?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The issue with Savard is that he could score against bad competition, but he couldn't score against good competition. To illustrate, in his Chicago days (first 10 seasons), he generally led the Blackhawks in scoring in playoff series' against poor defensive teams, but almost never did against better defensive teams (and they didn't even play any series' against truly great defensive teams). Against the 10 best defensive teams they played over those 10 seasons, he led the team in scoring only in 2 series against Edmonton....and one of those was very high scoring. In the other 8 series against the best defensive teams, Savard never led his team in scoring.

When I watched Chicago in the '80s, that's what I saw - Savard could produce against relatively weak competition, and that's about all. To me, his game was limited.

Larmer was a very smart player who continuously improved his game, and he became a better player than Savard, who never really improved his game.

I think there's a good argument that, among good players, Savard is the most overrated player of the '80s, and Larmer the most underrated.

I can agree Larmer is underappreciated. But whenever the Hawks made deep runs, it was Savard who led the team in scoring. Alright, perhaps there were series where another player had more points than him late in the playoffs, but he was the man on the team. In 1990 he had 10 points in the semis vs. Edmonton. It was just Messier who carried that team past the Hawks. Savard even led the 1992 Habs in playoff scoring and the 1995 Hawks. Both by large margins, and he did well against the 1995 Wings. This was a time when he wasn't his 1980s self anymore.

I don't know, give me the choice between Savard and Larmer to build my team around and I don't even hesitate to pick Savard.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
But whenever he played the Caps, Ovi got a suspicious amount of goals assisted by Bäckström.....

The biggest scandal buried in recent history of hockey, and it’s so plain to see, just look at the game logs...

... Actually, I did because I’m procrastinating like it’s going out of style.

Bäckström the goalie played the Caps four times: two wins, two losses, and a .896 SV%.

Ovie scored 2-1-3 in those games, Bäckström the center 1-1-2. Their assists once combined for a Marcus Johansson goal, that’s it. I would have hoped for just one gamelog with at least two Ovechkin goals assisted by Bäckström to expose a grand conspiracy, but alas.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
The biggest scandal buried in recent history of hockey, and it’s so plain to see, just look at the game logs...

... Actually, I did because I’m procrastinating like it’s going out of style.

Bäckström the goalie played the Caps four times: two wins, two losses, and a .896 SV%.

Ovie scored 2-1-3 in those games, Bäckström the center 1-1-2. Their assists once combined for a Marcus Johansson goal, that’s it. I would have hoped for just one gamelog with at least two Ovechkin goals assisted by Bäckström to expose a grand conspiracy, but alas.

Well. Are you aware that lies are sometimes covered in lies? How sure are you that these "game logs" haven't been tampered with?

Wanna bett man?

Bob Bobberson

Feb 11, 2021
Guess how many players have more assists than Backstrom since Backstrom's rookie season?

Zero. Not Crosby, not Malkin, not Thornton, not Getzlaf.

He's been a 1C since he hit the ice at age 19. He centered the Capitals' top line to three President's Trophy seasons.

He came within a whisker of winning the Calder over Patrick Kane.

Ovechkin has zero playoff OT goals. Backstrom has four.

As others have pointed out, he never had a chance at getting Hart trophy votes, because Ovechkin puts everyone in the shadows. Backstrom's so legendarily under-rated, I don't know why anyone would think he could have possibly won a Selke either. The media forgets his name every year.

True, Backstrom has never been the #1 best center in the league for any stretch of time. But he has been consistently ELITE. Not just consistently good. If his career ended today, it's probably not enough to get him inducted. But if he hits 850-900 assists? He should be a no-brainer.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Without looking at his stats I'd say he in for sure... Probably finish with what 1300 points? 1C on cup team.

Quiet Swede probably a factor

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
He should be first ballot except if there are four bigger names retiring on the same year.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Without looking at his stats I'd say he in for sure... Probably finish with what 1300 points? 1C on cup team.

Quiet Swede probably a factor

nearly 350 points pass your 33 year's old season would be a good amount, H. Sedin has 228, Sundin 260, but some of those playmaking center age really well Ron Francis played until 40 and had 451, Oates 506 points all in the dpe.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think he's a Hall of Fame lock. Just has to manage a gradual decline over the next 4-5 seasons, mix in whatever team success, another big international tournament and his resume looks like a Hall of Fame resume. Only downside is he had a relatively quiet career personality-wise playing behind Ovechkin, but that's more of an appreciation/publicity thing than quality of play.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yes and No. He's a weird one....

Based on the numbers and accolades he's gonna have when he's done, I think he'll get in easily and probably deserves to.

But he was always kind of a 2nd or 3rd tier star, only got slight MVP consideration in 2 seasons. And I'd have to say his numbers are propped up the best goal scorer ever. Based on his pure talent and impact on the ice, I'd say he's borderline though.

Reactions: ted2019

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Yes and No. He's a weird one....

Based on the numbers and accolades he's gonna have when he's done, I think he'll get in easily and probably deserves to.

But he was always kind of a 2nd or 3rd tier star, only got slight MVP consideration in 2 seasons. And I'd have to say his numbers are propped up the best goal scorer ever. Based on his pure talent and impact on the ice, I'd say he's borderline though.
Eye test shows many of his assists turned into goals thanks to the smart play.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I was just noticing that Backstrom and Oates have very similar numbers career-wise.

ScoringGoalsPer GamePoint SharesAdjusted
PlayerTmPosFromToActiveGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWSS%TOIGAPTSSOPSDPSPSGAPTS
Nicklas BackstromWSHC200720211497425169894911646617277238207012.1191490.260.720.972.1376.123.399.53108321142
Adam Oates*TOTC1985200419133734110791420334152261031256239214.386150.260.811.061.7994.422.611733110651396
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Playoffs:

Scoring Goals Per Game
PlayerTmPosFromToActiveGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWSS%TOIGAPTSS
Nicklas BackstromWSHC200720201212836711076582790727812.926760.280.550.842.17
Adam Oates*TOTC198620031516342114156-126623172731213.57370.260.70.961.91
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bob Bobberson

Feb 11, 2021
Backstrom doesn't rely on speed for his game, and he's absolutely crushing it this season. Everyone seems to agree he's a lock if he compiles enough points over the remainder of his current contract (4 more years after this one), and it seems like he probably will hit point totals that make his case for induction unimpeachable.

But if he retired tomorrow, I'd still say he deserves to be a hall of famer. Consistently elite player for 14 seasons, 1C on the best regular season team of the salary cap era, Stanley cup champion. The HHOF is already a "Big Hall" and not a "Little Hall", so there has to be room for the 2nd best player on the Ovechkin Capitals.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He is having a great season. He's been the Caps' best player so far. He could get to 900 assists. 1100-1200 points. It's looking more and more like he'll get in.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
If Backstrom isn’t a first ballot Hall of Famer then I’m not sure what we’re even doing here.

He’s going to go down as one of the most underrated players of his generation, IMO.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Lock these threads are stupid Nick has been a very solid performer and setup-man since joining the big league. You get in the hall for that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom very likely is a first ballot hall of famer. Since he came into the league he is 5th in scoring. He is first in assists. 2nd in power play points. He has had 6 consecutive 50 assist seasons that started after a 40 assist 48 game season and a 42 assist 70 game season.

Reactions: Bob Bobberson

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
His chances are more than good. In an ideal world I am not so sure he belongs but he will certainly get in. I will say, though, that he could have won the Selke at any point during the last 10 years or so and I wouldn't have complained, easily as good of a player as Bergeron defensively as well as offensively.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yes, he'll definitely make it in.

He's a guy where, if he didn't have an impressive playoff resume, he'd still have a chance but be more borderline. But with his strong playoffs, there's just no doubt about it.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He's a guy where, if he didn't have an impressive playoff resume, he'd still have a chance but be more borderline. But with his strong playoffs, there's just no doubt about it.

Bäckström doesn't have a particularly impressive or strong playoff resume, for a player of supposed HHOF stature or status. He's been good overall and very good in flashes, in the playoffs, but I personally think his playoffs are a bit overrated overall, at least if your assertion here is the more general one. It looks pretty good on paper overall, statistically, but if you scratch a bit on the surface he comes across a bit Turgeon-ish to me.

There was a stretch between the 2010–11 season and the 2014–15 season, for instance, where the Capitals made the playoffs 4 times and Bäckström had 21 points in 43 games, with his team never battling it through the 2nd round of the playoffs. He's also never had a single playoffs that really wowed me. He's had instances of impressive play in the playoffs, but never a prolonged stretch where you would say "oh, look at this guy, he's taking the bull by its horns and is just plowing it out for his team, he's just styling on everyone out there!".

Now, this is not a bashing attempt at Bäckström, the player, I really like his puck dishing skills for instance. It's hyper apparent to anyone with just basic talent evaluation skills to notice the guy's really good at dishing pucks. I knew this already when he played with Brynäs, so no-one has to tell me the guy has talent. That's why I'll never jump on the "muh he's played with Ovechkin" train either, especially not since Ovechkin himself made such an apparent switch in his game from a dynamic youthful all-round offensive force between 2007–2010 to a more simplistic designated sniper type of guy from 2011 and onwards. That particular Bäckström–Ovechkin on-ice relationship feels more symbiotic, to me, honestly.

In some sense I feel Bäckström got caught a bit in a Sancho Panza role to Ovechkin's Don Quixote.

I actually remember watching the Capitals once in the playoffs, or a glimpse of it at least, and it was Bäckström firing a scorching bullet of a shot past the Canadiens goalie for what, I think, was the GWG. And I remember thinking "what the hell, this guy should shoot the puck more, that was fire!". But he never really did, on a more continuous or prolonged basis.

I think he's just been too comfortable with taking the backseat role to Ovechkin over the years, in general, Bäckström. They could have made that offense a little more versatile, in my opinion, and it probably would have worked out a little better for them team wise, in the playoffs.

Someone mentioned Mats Sundin up thread, and I would take Sundin over Bäckström if I built a team 9 times out of 10. Sundin was just a guy where you felt he always wanted to be "the guy" on his team, at least in Toronto after he left Quebec. On Toronto and with Team Sweden Sundin was always that guy. Even when Forsberg was styling on Team Sweden and firing on all cylinders, you always felt it was Mats' team because Mats could do everything out there, and did do everything out there. If Ovechkin and Sundin played on the same team I have a very hard time imagining Sundin would take a Sancho Panza role, he just wasn't that guy.

And when I said Bäckström never had a single playoffs that really wowed me, Evgeny Kuznetsov had. How Kuznetsov brought another dimension to that team in 2018 with his skating and his zone-entering skills, and his puck dishing skills at high speed, and all that, that was a real eye-opener. Unfortunately for the Caps though Kuznetsov seems to be somewhat of a head case.

Last edited:

Bob Bobberson

Feb 11, 2021
I actually remember watching the Capitals once in the playoffs, or a glimpse of it at least, and it was Bäckström firing a scorching bullet of a shot past the Canadiens goalie for what, I think, was the GWG. And I remember thinking "what the hell, this guy should shoot the puck more, that was fire!".

Game 2 vs Montreal, 2010:

Yeah, Backstrom probably should shoot more. But he's spent 13+ years playing with the greatest goal scorer of all time. So, you can understand why he's been conditioned into a pass-first mentality.

But yes, I think you're right. Backstrom's playoff performances are a bit of a fly in the ointment. When the Caps were falling short in the 2nd round year after year, Ovechkin took all the blame. But look at Ovi's playoff stats, he always performed. Backstrom always flies under the media's radar, and in the years when he had weak playoff performances, it was never really talked about, because the spotlight is on Ovechkin 24/7. Mike Green and Alex Semin usually got whatever blame was leftover.

I also don't think that should be a decisive factor in Backstrom's HHOF case, because his body of work in the regular season is so incredibly strong. Again, Nick Backstrom leads the NHL in assists since his NHL debut.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Backstrom and Claude Giroux are two similar guys. Always under the radar and quietly among the top scorers year after year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad