Nicklas Backstrom HHOF Chances?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I thought at first about posting this in the main section, but OTOH I think it's a question that maybe relies more on looking at the past than current players/situations so perhaps it's a better fit here.

Nicklas Backstrom is, to me, one of the harder players to rate in hockey history. Since the day he entered the league 12 years ago, he has played in almost exactly the same situation with the same linemate. In that time frame, he has been extremely healthy and consistent, never missing much time and hovering around the 0.9-1.0 point per game mark. All of that is a rarity but especially in the free agency era.

More importantly from a legacy standpoint, he is also one of the best of his generation at something: playmaking. He has been top three in assists six times in his career- exactly half his seasons played- and is 4th among active players in that category. Already he is 60th all time in that stat. If he puts up even one more year like he just had, he will quite easily reach the top 50 and be alongside names like Stastny, Sundin, and Federko.

Speaking to history, only a few retired players with more than his 684 assists are not in the Hall already. Of Dale Hunter, Jeremy Roenick, Daniel Alfredsson, Rod Brind'Amour, Bernie Nicholls, Doug Weight, Vincent Damphousse, Pierre Turgeon, and Henrik Sedin, half are probably on their way eventually. Of those who are not and may never be- guys like Turgeon and Nicholls- it seems to be personal issues, and/or a dim view of their two-way play, something I can't say is true of Backstrom. From a purely statistical angle, it's possible he has a case even if he retired after another season or two at around the 1,000 GP/points mark.

That's the good stuff. On the flip side, he's a player with no major individual hardware. I also can't ever say he was a top 5 center in the league outside of maybe 2010 (though he's never been lower than 11th or 12th IMO). And for being among the best passers of the last 20 years, he's only led the league once in assists despite playing over ten of them in the best possible situation for a center of his ilk. If for example he gets in a time machine and trades spots with Craig Janney, what do their numbers and careers look like?

To be fair, Backstrom's career isn't over yet, and it could still go one of two ways: he continues to compile points as a top two center until he can't any longer, and/or he transforms his game to become a wily vet in a third or fourth line capacity like Doug Weight and wins another Cup or two that way. Either would help his resume, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that at almost 33 years old, we've seen his best years.

I did a search before posting and the last Backstrom thread was from 2017, which talked about how he was the best player with no team or individual hardware. Obviously that's changed now and he is still as consistent as ever to along with a Cup, but is he a Hall of Famer now? Should he be?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
On the one hand, he’s been widely regarded as the most underrated player for a decade or so: it’s been long since it became a rather ridiculous cliche. On the other hand, it seems that each and every time I watch a Caps game, I’ve been surprised to slowly “discover” how special a player Bäckström really is. Chugging along, doing all the right things in all three zones, making great plays and always seeming set for a reward.

Washington has got all these other guys stealing the spotlight at any given time, while Bäckström is really low-key — but usually key, nonetheless. His offensive stats are fine, and often the sticking point when discussing his credentials: whether they mostly are a result of centering an all time great, or respectable in their own right. Where I think the claims of him being underrated mostly holds merit though, from watching him, is probably to how well rounded and defensively solid he’s been, in addition to being a great playmaker.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I think it’s his puck control, poise and capable defence that puts him over for me, but he doesn’t really have that rep, so I sort of doubt that will do it for anyone.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Just because he surpasses the accolades of prior generations who made it into the HHOF doesn't mean he should get in. Hard no for me. I like him as a player but what has he done to transcend being a good player to a great one? I'm open to arguments, just currently sitting on the No vote (because my vote matters, of course).

Reactions: Sentinel

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Just because he surpasses the accolades of prior generations who made it into the HHOF doesn't mean he should get in. Hard no for me. I like him as a player but what has he done to transcend being a good player to a great one? I'm open to arguments, just currently sitting on the No vote (because my vote matters, of course).

Nothing really... but neither have half the guys actually in the HHOF. He's not good enough to make it on peak alone, but I think he's good enough to make it on a combo of good peak plus (potential) career numbers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think he likely makes it simply from being on the Caps championship squad. You figure two players at minimum are going in given how good that team was for so long.

Kinda like Letang getting in. I think Letang and Backstrom are good comparisons although Letang has two years where you could argue he was the best defenseman in the league and Backstrom has 0 at his position.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Nothing really... but neither have half the guys actually in the HHOF. He's not good enough to make it on peak alone, but I think he's good enough to make it on a combo of good peak plus (potential) career numbers.

I mean, I realize it's a foregone conclusion, but at some point the Hall just becomes diluted. My avatar is Pat LaFontaine and I love him as a person and a player, but he didn't deserve induction in my eyes, either. I just hate seeing the Goulet/Nieuwendyk crowd getting in and shortening the goal posts as a result. Backstrom is a fine player, but he's not someone I'm going to tell my grandchildren about.

Reactions: shello and Dingo

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I think he likely makes it simply from being on the Caps championship squad. You figure two players at minimum are going in given how good that team was for so long.

Kinda like Letang getting in. I think Letang and Backstrom are good comparisons although Letang has two years where you could argue he was the best defenseman in the league and Backstrom has 0 at his position.

I see your logic and I think it will likely result in an induction for Backstrom. I sure hope it doesn't do the same for Letang but I guess it is what is is at this point. The entire institution of a hall of fame is getting watered down in the NHL and NBA. For instance, I think Rocket Richard was a very overrated player...but I recognize the impact he had on the game and people, even to this day talk about him in reverence. Imagine being a hockey fan in, say, 2040, and talking about the impact that Backstrom and Letang had on the game. Gives me chills....

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Good thoughts, all. I am glad to see my initial instinct- that Backstrom probably fits statistically and is in line with the kind of player inducted these days, but isn't "true HOF" good- was more or less accurate.

However I maybe did not give him enough credit for his all-around play. In addition to being the primary setup man on his line he has also most often had to be the defensive conscious as well. That's probably hurt his overall output a bit over the years. A good player and one I will remember for sure but he wouldn't go in my Hall of Fame (not that anyone cares).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
when all is said and done, i'd probably rank backstrom and daniel sedin back-to-back on the all-time NHL swedes list. different career arcs, different kinds of players, but i think they belong in basically the same place.

but as borderline HHOFers, daniel's linemate probably will pull him up into the hall, while backstrom's will be a detriment to him.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
He does fit statistically. I'm surprised nobody is bothered by the fact that the Caps couldn't get it done until they replaced him on their top line with Kuznetsov though.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
He does fit statistically. I'm surprised nobody is bothered by the fact that the Caps couldn't get it done until they replaced him on their top line with Kuznetsov though.

Watching those games, I never really perceived it as a probable case of Washington bumping down their perennial anchor a notch in order to excel. In the finals, Bäckström lead all Capitals’ forwards in ice time.

Reactions: feffan

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I think a comparable player might be Jean Ratelle who is in the HOF. Ratelle once led the NHL in even strength goals even though he missed 17 games. That's the only thing notable about his career. He did finish with 776 assists so he basically was a steady, dependable playmaker much like Backstrom.
Edit: plus 6 times in the top 10 for assists

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

He does? Letang does not belong in the HOF if he retires today. Backstrom has a much stronger argument, though still would be one of the weaker inductions.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
While Backstrom would be probably better than a few very weak induction, it probably has to be reminded that he received exactly 6 Hart votes during his whole career, and no Top-3 votes. For a forward, that should be a big no-no.

(Yeah, I know, Andreychuk)

Reactions: ted2019

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think a comparable player might be Jean Ratelle who is in the HOF. Ratelle once led the NHL in even strength goals even though he missed 17 games. That's the only thing notable about his career. He did finish with 776 assists so he basically was a steady, dependable playmaker much like Backstrom.
Edit: plus 6 times in the top 10 for assists

There is a very, very, very wide gap in Hart voting, however.
(Oh, and the fact that Ratelle was the best forward on his team for most of his prime and even some of his post-prime)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I mean, I realize it's a foregone conclusion, but at some point the Hall just becomes diluted. My avatar is Pat LaFontaine and I love him as a person and a player, but he didn't deserve induction in my eyes, either. I just hate seeing the Goulet/Nieuwendyk crowd getting in and shortening the goal posts as a result. Backstrom is a fine player, but he's not someone I'm going to tell my grandchildren about.

Exactly how many players are in your HHOF then.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
While Backstrom would be probably better than a few very weak induction, it probably has to be reminded that he received exactly 6 Hart votes during his whole career, and no Top-3 votes. For a forward, that should be a big no-no.

(Yeah, I know, Andreychuk)
Mats Sundin's Hart record isn't much better.

Also, you can't blame him for playing his whole career with a generational goal scorer.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Can I save us both the time and give you players who shouldn't be in the current HHOF. I get that I'm making some substantial claims and am willing to put that to paper. But listing everyone I do think belongs would be a bit...tedious?

Just a ballpark number would be okay, don't need all of the names.

Does the HHOF have 5 too many players who don't belong.

25 or 50.....

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

25 or 50.....

I mean I think that's a good question to pose to me. I made something of a grandiose statement and I should at least need to back it up. Give me tonight and I'll throw out a list of 25.I definitely am not trying to be controversial. I apologize if it came off that way.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

25 or 50.....

25 NHLers is a good number.

I could probably name 20 early/non NHLers and replace them with 10 more deserving but with far less certainty and it's a far less important topic anyway, I feel like they're a completely different thing honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad