Nick Suzuki vs Pierre-Luc Dubois

Who will a the better overall career ? Who do you take ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Suzuki getting very underrated here. Check out a Montreal game, he's phenomenal all over the ice and especially in the d-zone as a 21 year old. Arguably higher potential than Kotkaniemi. If Suzuki isn't better than Dubois now, I do think the former surpasses the latter soon.

How high is Kotkaniemi's potential? You feel Suzuki will be better than PLD and I think PLD will be a superstar. So KK and Suzuki will be pretty much franchise players?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
PLD, don't even gotta think about it. But Habs fans are in deep with Suzuki and Romanov. Romanov made one stretch pass (beauty) and a hit on Holl and he's a star now.

Suzuki in 10 playoff games won them over. I kid you not. Some even think he's an untouchable. Now hey, he's a current Roster player I get the loyalty, more control over him too but even after PLD is up, he's still RFA.

Go get your big, hometown 1C. Pay the price. It'll be worth it.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Suzuki IMO. Just put up close to what Dubois did in his rookie year in his own rookie year.

I see Dubois peaking as a Schenn type. I don't really know if I have a grasp on what Suzuki's high end would be.
Look, if you put PLD in a run and gun Montreal system vs safe is death Columbus system, you will see much different numbers

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Look, if you put PLD in a run and gun Montreal system vs safe is death Columbus system, you will see much different numbers

Ah yes. The famously run and gun Claude Julien.

Dubois is a great player, but nothing in his game so far shows him trending in the way of an elite center.

I'd argue the same is true about Suzuki, but we've seen less of a sample and he's had more flashes of it individual without the impact of having players like Panarin and Atkinson.

He did it with Domi and Armia. Which I think is a fair bit different.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Suzuki IMO. Just put up close to what Dubois did in his rookie year in his own rookie year.

I see Dubois peaking as a Schenn type. I don't really know if I have a grasp on what Suzuki's high end would be.

Awww Shucks, he only comps out as a "Stanley Cup Champion".

No thanks.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Awww Shucks, he only comps out as a "Stanley Cup Champion".

No thanks.

The post is comparing two players. Schenn is a solid # 2C and top six forward. People act like Dubois is going to be a legitimate top ten C. I think from what we have seen from Suzuki there is less evidence that he could be that.

I doubt either reaches that height, but I don't see Dubois suddenly becoming a 80-90 pt C.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The post is comparing two players. Schenn is a solid # 2C and top six forward. People act like Dubois is going to be a legitimate top ten C. I think from what we have seen from Suzuki there is less evidence that he could be that.

I doubt either reaches that height, but I don't see Dubois suddenly becoming a 80-90 pt C.

I've heard that same line before, with respect to Schenn...but then he managed to post a year where he was top-35 in points, and top-20 as a center.

Wingers can have an influence on decent centers that elevates them. You play with the right wingers, and you've got a shot at something. That's the difference between playing with Panarin and a more pedestrian winger. But that's still a top center or maybe winger, or like Schenn maybe kinda both.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Actually I think many Habs fans would say Dubois is the better player. Doesn't mean that we would be ok with trading Suzuki for him because Columbus is negotiating from a position of weakness, and Suzuki is still on his ELC.

I wouldn't do the trade because let's face it there just isn't a lot of upside in that. Why would you go all in trading for a 1C if it meant losing a similar level, similar age guy? Dubois has better track record and has that size and edge that everyone always covets but I think a lot of people are failing to see how good Suzuki actually is.

Reactions: Runner77

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
PLD but I don’t think you can come down too hard on Habs fans for being slightly homerific. Suzuki looked terrific last year and most fan bases will have extremely optimism and loyalty to a young player who has just broken out. Doesn’t matter the fan base in this case.

If the Habs can get PLD without Suzuki, they’ll have a 1-2 center punch that could be good enough to compete for Cups and will be over the moon.

If the Habs get PLD and give up Suzuki, there will be a mix of excitement and pain - but PLD will win them over and like most fan bases, they’ll come around on the deal.

TLDR; It’s clearly PLD but the Suzuki feelings are legit IMO, even if maybe a shade over the top.

Reactions: dralaf

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I wouldn't do the trade because let's face it there just isn't a lot of upside in that. Why would you go all in trading for a 1C if it meant losing a similar level, similar age guy? Dubois has better track record and has that size and edge that everyone always covets but I think a lot of people are failing to see how good Suzuki actually is.
All this and what about the add we have to give up?
Then we somehow have to dump other players to try to get under the cap. Then we are out Not only Dubois for 14 days we also are out Suzuki and other valuable pieces that they want added. No we're not interested in trading Suzuki plus other valuable assets [ Romanov who they supposedly want thrown into the deal . :laugh: ] for Dubois. Try something else or just go to another team. I'm sure they will give you the equivalent of Suzuki and Romanov for Dubois.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
As of right now, PLD is the better player.

But some crazy fools think that the difference between Suzuki and PLD is like, Romanov lol

Suzuki is a bonafide 1C, the first Montreal got in like 20 years, and he's not for sale, for any price, unless it's an offer we can't refuse.

If we get PLD, it's to downgrade Suzuki on the 2nd, we won't trade one for the other. Won't happen.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Suzuki getting very underrated here. Check out a Montreal game, he's phenomenal all over the ice and especially in the d-zone as a 21 year old. Arguably higher potential than Kotkaniemi. If Suzuki isn't better than Dubois now, I do think the former surpasses the latter soon.
You can't underrate a player on a 2 player comparison but...Dubois is better now, has a higher ceiling, and is still developing as well.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Dubios is better now and will be better throughout their careers imo, but what do I know.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Even if PLD ends up better than Suzuki, the difference will be so small it won't justify trading one for the other. Therefore, why should the Habs bail out CBJ? They will be the ones with a player that wants to leave, not the Habs. No reason to do them a favor.
Furthermore, Suzuki is already showing chemistry with his linemates, will PLD develop similar chemistry?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
You can't underrate a player on a 2 player comparison but...Dubois is better now, has a higher ceiling, and is still developing as well.

See this "certainty" of Dubois having the higher ceiling doesn't register fairly IMO. I hope people are actually watching both these players play and not determining based off of draft pedigree/NHL experience. People contending against the Suzuki voters using Dubois' age as a reason he hasn't reached his potential... makes this a double edged sword. Development is absolutely not linear and it is completely reasonable to believe Suzuki becomes a better player than Dubois. The question isn't who is better right now so that's irrelevant, even though I agree Dubois is.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I’m bias in that I hate PLD and the Habs equally.

I think PLD is safer, and definitely better now...but the gambler in me would hang on to Suzuki if I had a chance to make the switch.

Suzuki is starting to remind me a bit of Point.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Sure but dubois scoring 80 pts like a ryan getzlaf type centre, playing solid 2 way hockey and punishing the other team is pretty good.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Hard not to take the 22 year old proven commodity when comparing two players similar in value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad